“Not recommended”
Review of Locanda Gallo

Locanda Gallo
Ranked #479 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2015

Stayed here for one night in February and due to the decent reviews and cheap price we decided to opt for locanda gallo.

The location was very good, 5 mins from duomo and many other sites. Many nice restaurants/bars nearby.

However, the place is hard to find, and we took about 15 mins of walking around the same road to find it. We then checked in by trying to speak to the receptionist/cleaner who couldnt speak English so ended up having to wait 10 mins for the English speaking colleague to help.

We then left our bags in the reception and were advised that they will be in the room when we return from being out. We then returned to our room at about 7PM to find our bags were not in the room and had to call someone (outside the hotel) to come and open the reception to let us get our bags, this took around half an hour but wasnt too much of a big deal.

The room was very basic, and had a very small 'window' which was covered with vents and looked out to the stairwell of the hotel. The room was NOTHING like the pictures shown. We were on the top floor room so maybe we were unlucky with the room we were given? Furthermore the bed didnt feel particularly clean and made us feel quite itchy. The shower and toilet was very small and the fridge/cupboards were untidy and smelly.

During the night, there was an intermittent buzzing sound going on every hour or so which meant we had to sleep listening to headphones and waking up every hour or so.

Only reason I have given 2 stars is due to the good price we paid but in future, I would undoubtedly pay more to stay somewhere more comfortable.

Room Tip: not the top floor on the right!
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2015

It definitely exceeded our expectations in terms of interior design! It was modern, bright and spacious, especially for what you pay for! Our room even had a little mini fridge and plenty of plug sockets. The bathroom (specifically the shower) was amazing! The location is ideal. Quiet at night but within 5 minutes of walking distance to the Duomo and town centre. Plus the street that the hotel is located on has a wide variety of good restaurants, cheap supermarkets or 99cent stores and other useful and interesting shops, such as internet café's, hairdressers, art café's etc. Also the owner was incredibly friendly and helpful, giving us a map and showing us all the useful/interesting places to go. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2014

This place is within walking distance from the train station. The location is actually perfect, because it's on a quiet street, but you can easily walk to any place in Florence. I was surprised to find that the room was very large and nicely decorated. Very clean. It exceeded my expectations for sure. Our room even had a small kitchen area which we were not expecting. I don't think you can find better value for money. I would stay here again next time I'm in Florence.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The location is almost perfect... its close to the Accademia and to the Uffizi gallery and if you walk for 10 mins. more you can reach Ponte Vecchio. San Marco square is 5 mins. walk from the guest house and you can catch a bus or get a taxi from there. Train Station (S. Maria Novella) is about 20 mins. walk from Locanda Gallo. Carolina, the owner/manager was very friendly, considerate and helpful.
This review is for the room named 'Petrarca' - If you get a room on the 3rd Floor like we did, the climb to the room is quite steep and tiring with your luggage. We were given a room for 4 people but the room is more suitable for 2 or at the most 3. The bathroom was in a closet like space and the floor tiles were about to come off. There was no coffee pot or water heater but you can get it if requested. The AC in the room was leaking water and the first day when we returned after visiting the Accademia, we found our bed completely soaked with the water from the AC. After notifying the manager (Carolina, also the owner) fixed the problem. The guest house maybe a little difficult to find since their door looks exactly the same as other doors on the road but if you go by
the number you can see it clearly marked and it's in front of an old church. There are a few Trattorias and ristorantes close to the house. Via Gallo is a busy street and you will find lots of eating places on the way.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on lower floors if you do not want to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Locanda Gallo for 2 nights. Location is good, only some minutes away from the city centre and with plenty of places to eat around (most of them close on the afternoon), including some mini supermarkets.
There was nobody there when we arrived (at around 1 pm) and we didn't know we had to inform them first (I actually checked the details again when I was back and still couldn't find the warning), but after a phone call the owner's son came and checked us in. He was very friendly but spoke no good English, luckily we understood each other between Spanish and Italian.
Room itself (Giotto) was very nice, with a mini kitchen and basic appliances, including a fridge (very helpful in the hot summer).
The next day I met the owners which were very very very friendly, even let me use their pc to copy my 2-weeks worth pictures into a usb, after having had problems with my camera.
We had a very pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Giotto room had a double bed, mini kitchen and ensuite. AC is a bit loud but we had a great sleep. Y...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sirenita1984
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We spent a week in this place. We informed the owners two days earlier, at what time we’ll arrive. It is easy to find the place, and at the door hangs a nameplate with the name of the guest house. There was a nice lady waiting for us. She spoke english very well. Both owners were very friendly and helpful. We had a room called Michelangelo – it was clean and charming. We were surprised that the room had a fridge and hairdryer. What is more, we got an electric kettle and tea. The lady at the reception prepared for us a map of the recommended places where we could eat. We have been in two of them and the food was really tasty. We also got a discount on breakfast at a nearby bar. The room had free Wi-Fi. Except for one day someone made the bed and our towels were changed two times. I do not understand why people complain about it. I think that the standard of the room for this price is really great! But the most important is the location – this guest house is very close to the city center, but the street isn’t noisy or busy and there aren’t many tourists. You can walk everywhere on foot. In this street there are some really good restaurants, great ice cream shop, several bars where you can have breakfast, as well as a supermarket and laundry facilities. The station can be reached in 15 minutes. Certainly, if we’ll be in Florence again, we’ll return to Locanda Gallo.
I’d like to say something about the complaints that I saw here. This is not a place for people who require constant contact with the owner and demand that the owners should serve them all the time. You can read everything in the announcement – it is said f.e. that there is no elevator, that it’s more the apartment than the hotel, that the guest has a lot of freedom, and that the owners are not in place. For us, this autonomy is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
Greetings for owners! Grazie mille e un giorno ritorneremo! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mughetto_sb
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE unless you want to go home with flees, bed bugs. We booked to stay here for 2 nights, just for somewhere to sleep. Once arriving in Florence, we could not find the plac. as previuisky mentioned in one of the other reviews, 'the area looked very dubious'. once we found the place, there was no name above the door or displayed anywhere on the property, windows all boarded up and the building itself looked derelict. We rang the bell outside and the door opened. We stepped into a very, dark, smelly hallway. Took us a while to find the light switch. We didn't have a clue where to go so knocked on the first door we found. An angry Italian shouted through the wooden door, GO AWAY (swore, angrily in Italian) - 3rd floor and sounded like he threw something at the door from the inside. By this time I was starting to feel apprehensive, we began to climb up the narrow, steep stairs with luggage towards the 3rd floor. Once there, again no sign of anyone or in fact, anything! A door was open on the 3rd floor, we entered after knocking to find a young girl (around 16 years old) sat on a chair. Tge girl didnt dpesk and She took us up some more stairs to show us our room. I'm not sure where to start with describing this room!!! To enter the room, it had a sliding door. The lock did not work. Looking inside the room, the size was no bigger than 6 x 10 ft. In this was a very small double bed, corner 2 ring cooker, fridge underneath, and a pole for a wardrobe. Towards the back a 2 foot square for a shower with toilet underneath. To say the least, it was tiny. I did think, it's compact but guess it worked utilising the space. However, the smell of drains, bad egg hits you as soon as the sliding door was opened. There was no electiticity and when the girl turned it back on, the electiticity switched off again. The girl explained, it happens if someone is using the electiticity....!!!! On closer inspection, there was water all over the floor of this very compact room, again the girl said it was coming from the fridge and will dry out eventually? This water was at least one inch thick!!! After the girl left us in this room for a few moments to try and sort out the electiticity, I glanced at the bed and closely inspected the sheets and pillows, there was urine and diarrheor stains (and other stains I'd rather not mention). I pulled back the sheets and found the mattress to have the same stains. This was when I was bit. I then began to notice flees jumping. At this point my son had been sitting on the bed (nowhere else to move basically) and he had been bit several times. It was then when i realised there was no way we could stay in this room. I picked up our suitcases and fled from the room. i found the girl leaving the property, i was surprised, as i thought she was sorting the electricity. i told her i was unhappy with the room, she said, 'You get what you pay for!" and left us staring at her open-mouthed in astonishment. I tried to call the manager but no reply.. As I previously said - DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE .....

• Stayed: August 2013