“Okay but wouldn't go back”
Review of A Firenze da Paolo

A Firenze da Paolo
Ranked #354 of 656 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights here. I read reviews prior to contact and let paolo know our arrival time so he would be there and we could get in. The place is very hard to find and not in a very nice area. We didn't feel overly safe at night. It's about 10-15 bus ride to the centre which isn't bad but it's not ideal and we wouldn't do it again.

The room was clean and spacious and the share toilet was clean and decent too. We never had problems.

The breakfast is very average. Packet croissant and biscuits which tasted stale.

Probably wouldn't stay here again or recommend to friends although we did pay 30euro a night for both of us.

• Stayed: November 2011
There are newer reviews for A Firenze da Paolo

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I chose this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. I must have missed something, because my experience didn't match the other reviews.

Thanks to my GPS unit we found the place no problem. But we encountered our first problem - no parking. You can't park at the property and the streets are COMPLETELY full. Once we found a small (really small!) parking space a few blocks away, we tried to find the actual property. My expectation was a hotel room with a manager. In reality it is like an office building. You cannot get into the building without a key. There is no one to help you onsite. I was given an address, but that only gets you to the building. We had to search to find the actual floor and room number. Luckily I remembered to bring the hotel phone number with me. But we didn't have a phone! And good luck finding one nearby. No one would help. Finally a nice lady and her 2 small kids stopped because we looked so wore out by this point and called for us. Thank goodness! Paulo showed up a short while later with keys and some basic instructions. Finally we were in!

The room itself is decent size and the bathroom acceptable. But the floors are all tile and the suite of rooms is quite noisy. The provided breakfast is reasonable - nothing fancy. There is not much around the building in the way of restaurants. Fortunately, a big grocery store is about 2 long blocks away.

Would I recommend this hotel? Only if you are familiar with Florence, have a phone with you, and you call Paulo BEFORE you arrive so that he can meet you. Wandering blindly around was not fun!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank MrMoparIdaho
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Friendly English-speaking Paolo was very helpful to plan our stay in Florence (museums, restaurants, etc). This is regular 2 bedroom apartment with 1 bathroom (little bit inconvenience with 3 couples in the apartment). You have to use regular city bus to get here (we got bus drivers' strike during the our stay :().

Room Tip: ask room with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Located about a 10 minute bus ride outside of the main Florence centre, Paolo's B & B represents amazing value considering prices closer to the centre of Florence. Located in a residential area, this B & B is a flat in a block that has been done up as a b & b, with 3 rooms (one with private bathroom, the other 2 with shared bathroom) and a shared kitchen. We stayed in one of the rooms with the shared bathroom, room was decent size, clean and with a nice little balcony. Shared bathroom was modern and kept very clean, during our 4 night stay Paolo came every day to clean the property. Kitchen was good and small breakfast was provided in the price (croissant, tea, coffee etc). Also useful if you are on a budget and want to eat in cheaply rather than eating out one night. Paolo was very friendly and helpful in our interaction with him which made communication with him easy despite us knowing no Italian and his English being quite limited. Only drawback was that as it is a block of flats, the walls dont seem particularly thick so noise can travel through, though I'm a deep sleeper so didnt really bother me. However, the main selling point of this B & B is definitely the excellent price, for our room with the shared bathroom we paid just under 40 euros a night which worked out to just over £30 a night (inc. the small breakfast), unbeatable value. A bus ticket into the city costs only a euro, the bus stop is 2 mins from the B & B and a 10 minute ride in, bus no 22 or 57 (i think), regular service- we never waited longer than 5 mins.
All in all, definitely recommended!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

a firenze da paolo is located in an apartment at a block.it has three rooms and two bathrooms one private and one that is shared by two rooms and a kitchen.we stayed there seven people so we booked all the rooms and had it for ourselves,so the common bathroom was not a problem.paolo is a very friendly man.he gave us a lot of information and tips.the hotel is close to a bus station which takes you to the city center.the breakfast was left for us from the previous night and was quite nice.it also has a parking space for 8 euros if you like which was very convenient for us because we traveled by car

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We were late arriving and phoned Paolo who came within 10 minutes to greet us at the apartment. He was very helpful in giving information about the best places to see and even gave us a lift back down town to start our sightseeing. The place was very clean and quiet and we soon felt at home. I would not hesitate in staying there again or recommending it to others. I read the reviews on tripadvisor before booking and was very happy with my choice. A good choice for anyone including families because of the kitchen facilities.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed two nights over the Easter weekend. On this point I would like to emphasize the excellent value this place offers, at roughly half the price of its competitors during one of the busiest tourist times in the city.

The location is the only real weak point I can think of. This place is out west from the tourist area, in the regular residential district, accessible by bus (#22 I think, but you should double-check it on google maps or by emailing Paolo himself; the hostel web site doesn't specify). The hostel is actually a flat in which you rent a separate room, and share the kitchen and bathroom with the occupants of the other rooms. The apartment building in which the flat is located is on a very obscure street that is actually a parking lot, and which my girlfriend and I had A LOT of difficulty finding on our own, despite printed google map directions. We tried asking all the locals we could find, including on the street, in the nearby Runner Pizza, and a bar down the street. No one had any idea where it was, and the only way we eventually got there was because a very helpful guy drove us over in his GPS-equipped car. We later figured out that the street sign indicating the apartment complex is camouflaged by the construction scaffolding behind it. Summarily, take extra care to figure out how to get here.

Once you do arrive, however, you'll find it is a fully decorated apartment that feels very cozy and homey. Staying here felt like being a guest at a friend's house. Our room even had a rocking chair. Everything appeared clean and neat, well-arranged, and spacious. Greeting you upon entrance is a handful of sweets and some bottled water, which is admittedly nothing to make a decision over, but is nonetheless a charming gesture. The kitchen is also nice and very clean. The stove is gas-operated, and there is no conventional oven. The bathroom is of your typical size, had hot water no matter how late we woke up, and did not generally disappoint. Summarily, the cleanliness and quality of the rooms was very good, and in some ways even better than what I got in actual hotels.

The place is run by Paolo and his associate Marco. We never got to meet Paolo, but from the brief email correspondence I shared with him, he seems quite nice and able to speak English as well as any other Italian who deals with English-speaking tourists. Marco does not, however, but he was exceedingly friendly and hospitable, and we managed to get all the information we needed through signs and gestures. Because of our difficulty with finding the place, we arrived much later than we told Paolo we would, so that after making him wait for over an hour well into the early night, we had to call him to make the 20 minute drive from his house to check us in. Despite the difficulty, he appeared quite gracious about it, and we met Marco promptly afterward. So considering the difficulties we imposed on them, I'd say the service was far friendlier than one would expect of a hotel or hostel.

Finally, there is a small breakfast included into the price, consisting of yogurt, toast, and pastry. There might have been something else that we missed, as we always had to rush out without fully eating, but don't expect a full meal. Still, it was nice and tastier than you might get in another cheap B&B (if you get anything at all).

Summarily, this is a great place whose only detraction (and I presume the reason for its exceedingly low price) is its distance from the historical city center. There is at least one bus that will get you there from the train station, however, and if the bus stops running (as it did for us on the night of Easter Sunday), the half-hour walk is quite safe. The level of quality you get here is more than comparable with anything you might expect from other well-rated B&Bs and hotels, and the price is among the lowest I have ever paid for accommodation.

Highly recommended.