“OMG! I had a food....GASM”

Osteria Vecchio Cancello
Reserve with
Osteria Vecchio Cancello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,821 Restaurants in Florence
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Stumbled across this place after a hectic day in Florence. Was stopped in my tracks by the artisan pastry chef preparing the pasta in the window. All I can say is you MUST eat here!!! I had the pasta prepared in the cheese wheel at the table. What an amazing performance & it was delicious. I actually went there two nights in a row, the second time returning with 6 other fellow travellers who also raved about the quality of the food. Level of service was excellent & the food perfectly priced for its quality. A sheer delight to my taste buds.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

This was the best restaurant we've been at since arriving in Italy 11 days ago. It is off the beaten pass but the saying 'don't judge the book by the it's cover' applies. Street leading to restaurant is a bit isolated but don't let that stop you, you wont be disappointed. This was amazing dinner from appetizer to desert. Price was less than what I expected to pay for this gourmet meal. The grouper with saffron cheese and fish eggs.. O.M.G.. and the ravioli with truffled cheese and spinach are to die for. My only regret is that we discovered this on our last night here. Rome... you have big shoes to fill.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

This is a very nice, not so small "restaurant", in a somewhat quiet neighborhood.

We had wine produced by the family - very nice. The three different pasta dishes we had were great-I love wild boar papadelle. The salads were fresh and terrific. We had 2 cold cut plates of local Tuscan style "sausages".

This is a keeper in an out of the neighborhood. A couple next to us had the bisteca fiorentino for two - cooked perfectly and presented nicely.

VG, Kinnaman's

Reviewed 1 October 2017

I hesitate to award 4 stars to this restaurant because the pasta course was so disappointing. It was supposed to be mezzaluna (half-moon shaped ravioli) with a spinach ricotta filling but one could barely taste the spinaxhnor ricotta because the dish was over sauced. On the other hand, the beef fillet secondi was delicious. Service was acceptable but not particularly warm or attentive. The family that owns the restaurant also owns a vineyard and there are several bottles from their vineyard on the wine list at modest price; totally acceptable in taste.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Again not easiest place to find but worth searching out. And the restaurant is deceptively big with a covered garden area.

We shared the beef filler with some chips and a side which was more then enough for two people.

Nice atmosphere and good service happy to find this restaurant.