“Perfect break stop”

Neighbourhood: Duomo
Devon
“Perfect break stop”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We returned 3 times for lunch at this vibrant, popular, snack and coffee bar. Probably the best choice of coffees around. It took a while to get used to choosing your snack from the counter selection and the pricing was confusing but for between 6 - 8 euros you could have either salad, pasta, meat snacks in any combination. Luckily, helpful english speaking locals helped us through it! Recommend totally

Visited November 2011

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Dorset, England
“Fantastic quality and value..”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Situated right in the centre of Florence close to the Duomo, Chiaroscuro Cafe offers fantastic value and a tremendous choice of the highest quality coffee (and teas) made by professionally trained baristas. Also don't give the food a miss, to find such a gem is a rarity in a city...

• Visited May 2010
Elgin IL
“Favorite Lunch Spot”
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We quite literally stumbled upon Chiaroscuro during our stay in Florence. It was just steps around the corner from Hotel Calzaiuoli. We had the following criteria: food, fast, and credit cards. We had just arrived in Florence, hungry, low on cash and anxious to tour the Dom. Wow! Were we in for an unexpected treat. The display of food was eye-popping and enticing. The four of us had a hard time deciding between all the choices. We each got something different from panini to spinach, four cheese lasagne, Tuscan white beans, gnochi, grilled chicken salad, etc., etc. A glass of house wine and we were in heaven. Returned the following day for more yummies. Lunchtime was packed with Italians on their lunch hour. Service was outstanding. I know this is a cafe, but these folks are on a mission to provide great, freshly prepared food and serve their customers quickly, efficiently, and pleasantly. We're coffee lovers and the coffee was great, too.

2 Thank Eurochick60
Firenze
“Best bet for good coffee and espresso.”
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I am an American who is living in Florence since 2002. Though I prefer espresso, most of my friends and family who visit prefer either "American" style drip-coffee or things they've gotten hooked on back home that require blenders to prepare!

I always bring them to Chiaroscuro, since they can get their "big coffee" fix and I can still have an excellent espresso. Their barista are all trained by Mokaflor, the roastery who supplies Chiaroscuro with their beans- so no matter what kind of coffee I order, I know it is going to be prepared correctly. There are also tons of teas and hot chocolates to choose from, so even my non-coffee guests are happy.

Chiaroscuro also serves lunch and aperi-cena (buy a drink and eat off a buffet of appetizers). With all the options for eating in the city, this is not my first choice. However, if I want to eat dinner early before seeing a concert or show, I usually meet up with friends at Chiaroscuro for the aperi-cena, since most restaurants open at 7:30 or even 8pm for dinner service!

2 Thank ToniTravelerFirenze