In a very difficult day, we had to take five trains and make four changes while travelling from Aix to Lucca.. Due to a railway accident, we were running hours late and missed several connections. Having caught the last night train to Lucca with only seconds to spare, we rang the hotel from the train and the wonderful Vincenzo on reception, told us that he would be waiting for us. If there wasn't a taxi at the station, we were to call again and he would send a taxi to us. He was very reassuring and calming, after a very long, stressful day.
On our arrival at 11pm, stressed and exhausted, a smiling Vincenzo took control, swept us and our luggage in to our room and, wishing us well, left us to settle down. This place is a delight. All staff members were cheery, welcoming and helpful, especially Gabriela and Rita. When reserving, we had to make a few calls and emails and Pietro, whom we never met, was very patient aand accomodating.
With only a dozen rooms, the front door looks like a large hole in the wall, immediately creating a centuries-old atmosphere. Stepping inside, there is a roomy reception area, a cosy guest salon to one side, with easy chairs, internet service and a couple of tables, with a lovely mural painted on the walls and ceiling, depicting a vine covered pergola. On the other side, is a big bright breakfast room, with a country landscape painted on the walls. Breakfast is included and offers a wide choice, including perfectly boiled eggs on request. Free wifi is included.
The building clearly dates from medieval times, with a lot of the features such as beams, door furniture, doors and window shutters, echoing the medieval feel. One window in our spacious room looked over a narrow, medieval laneway and the other looked over a tall church belltower. The room and bathroom were spacious and beautifully decorated, with landscape scenes and sunshine on the walls. We could even see the belltower from the bathroom. There was antique style furniture, a safe and airconditioning, which took a day or two to work out. The bed was comfortable and plenty of lighting. Housekeeping was very good, though the shower recess needed some extra attention. They have done a great job of renovating an old building to a good standard, without destrying the integrity of the original structure. We felt like we had been transported to the sixteenth century, with modern facilities.
The location is wonderful. Very close to the Centro Storico and lovely via Fillungo, the main shopping street. There is a lovely resto in the same street and I can still taste their tuscan rabbit. Within a few dozen metres, there are cafes, bars, shops, gelaterie, a laundrobar, banking and dozens of little piazzas where you can while away the time over a meal or a prosecco or three. The city walls are close by and the old town is easily discovered on foot or by a hired bicycle, which is readily available.
It's very good value, in our view. Our only regret is that we had only booked a four night stay instead of a week and that we had to continue to our next destination. We would love to go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I would like to add information for all the customers that book to our hotel,because cause the limit traffic zone there are a lot of mistake and trouble, so I would like to add in the form confirmation or straight away in the hotel's information, the right route for to reach us. Below there are description in english and Italian.1) YOU CAN REACH THE HOTEL BY CAR You are allowed to get inside the walls from Santa Maria gate ONLY. As soon as you pass through the gate turn right taking Via della cavallerizza St. keep going straight on and you'll get into San Frediano Piazza where the church is, you mustgo all around this church untill you'll find Via cesare Battisti St. on your letf side. Get into via Cesare Battisti St. take the secondstreet on your left side wich is Via degli angeli St. Our staff will help you out with your luggage. HOTEL STAFF WILL TAKE THE PLATENUMBER OF YOUR CAR, that has to be send it to the police department and then they will show you where to park. YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR CAR KEYSAT THE FRONT DESK DURING ALL YOUR STAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity.ca so you can book your Alla Corte Degli Angeli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alla Corte Degli Angeli Hotel Lucca
- Alla Corte Degli Angeli Lucca