Review Highlights
Nothing short of a perfect place to visit

Moreno and Catherine are the owners and hosts of an experience that was worth the time. We did have... read more

Reviewed October 7, 2018
Tandko
Chicago, Illinois
Picture Perfect

Reviewed June 8, 2017
Allison B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Recommended experiences in and around Lucca
from US$11.60
from US$82.30
from US$184.20
from US$91.50
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 8, 2017

It was actually about two years ago that my family and I had the pleasure of ending our wine tour day at Montechiari. We were close to skipping it, having had a long day visiting other vineyards, but our tour guide (who was also the owner of the villa we rented) was insistent that we would love it.

He wasn't wrong. We were blown away the minute we drove in. It is absolutely picture perfect tuscany. The hosts were so kind, generous, and seemed to truly enjoy the experience of taking us around the property and then pouring their wines to try, as well as bringing out delicious bites of food. The sparkling wine was such a hit that upon returning to the states we ordered a case!

Highly recommend a visit to this beautiful location. Enjoy the charismatic couple, ask lots of questions on the tour, and definitely ask for a taste of the unbelievably delicious olive oil, too! 5 stars all around!

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed September 21, 2016

We visited Montechiari on the recommendation of our accomodation provider Paola at Lucca Holiday Homes. The property is set on top of the hill at Montecarlo about 20 minutes south west of Lucca. The 360 degree view across the valley to the hills with the mountains is stunning and worth the trip in itself. The buildings have been completely renovated and are beautifully finished.

We were hosted by the owners Moreno & Catherine Panattoni and they were indeed very friendly and attentive hosts. We were taken on a tour of the winery, sipped sparkling pinot noir accompanied by delicious home made olives in the loggia overlooking the valley and then a wine tasting with canapes in the tasting room.

There were two other small groups with a total of 9 people. Each of the groups was set at separate tables for privacy . The tasting was very personal and Moreno was a font of knowledge not only about his wines but Italy in general and wines from around the world.

The canapes were beautifully done. Not a large meal but perfect for the wine tasting. There was also a tasting of the very good olive oil they produce. All finished with an aged Sardinian pecorino. The wines are produced under organic certification and are very good. They are relatively expensive by Italian standards but of very good quality.

The "degustation" cost 60 euros per person which may seem expensive but for my wife and I the ambience of the property, the stunning view and the wonderful hospitallty of Moreno & Catherine made this a day to remember.

If you are contemplating a visit I recommend you book the "degustation" as I feel this is what they do best. And if you are staying in Lucca I suggest getting a taxi there and back as the tastings are very generous.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed March 26, 2016 via mobile

It was just a little slice of Tuscan heaven really. The food and wine were delicious. The olive oil was like none we've ever tasted and the hosts were kind and extremely gracious. Easily the highlight of our day trip in Tuscany. Highly recommend. Christine & James

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed September 23, 2015 via mobile

Took this tour from a cruise excursion and it was an hour and a half from port and wine wasn't good at all! Don't book the wine tasting and in Tuscany from royal Caribbean!

Date of experience: September 2015
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I am fortunate enough to have experienced a lot of winetasting establishments in the Montecarlo area, and they have all been wonderful.
When we arrived at Fattoria Montechiari we were blown away with the beauty of the place and were sat down and were allowed to sample a couple of wines, myself and my sister in law tried 3 varieties and my husband and brother 2. The wine was expensive so we ordered just 2 bottles to take away with us, a magnum of sparkling wine at €42 and a bottle of Merlot for €30. We were there lass than half an hour and consumed very little in the form of the tasters. On payment we were told we must pay an additional €40 for the tasting, in my previous experience this has always been free. Very disappointed.
Then to make matters worse when we decided to treat ourselves to the magnum a few days later, after storing it correctly and at the right temperature, it pretty much exploded on opening and we lost close to half on the floor!! VERY disappointed! I would not recommend anyone go here as prices are not transparent, the wine is average and not superior to other wineries in the area.

Date of experience: August 2014