1,256 results
All reviews the river roof terrace oldest hotel charles dickens grand tour faded grandeur steeped in history antique furniture historical hotel leaning tower lovely old hotel high ceilings train station fourth floor noisy at night piazza garibaldi minute walk
Reviewed August 26, 2018

I stayed here two years ago in the Springtime, and it was wonderful, so I braved it in the middle of Summer. The location is still excellent - walking distance from everything in Pisa, right on the Arno (though there is a lot of road construction happening on either side of them, so getting in and out is a bit more difficult). They've opened a bunch of new restaurants along the streets behind it that are definitely worth checking out. The staff continue to be excellent - they want to help and try hard to do so, whatever you bring them. The building is still the same elegant palazzo space.

Of course, it's that elegant palazzo building that makes the place more challenging in Summer, because it doesn't lend itself to a central-air retrofit. Air conditioners are window units that can get pretty quickly overwhelmed if it's hot and humid (and it was while I was there!), and the large, high-ceilinged rooms rather exacerbate the problem. The AC unit gave out entirely in the first room we had, and the one in the second room, while more robust, still had episodes of flashing lights and reset buttons in the middle of the night. Fortunately we were up high enough that we could throw the windows open, which results in excellent airflow when the room door is open, so we could cool the room off at night before bed, which helped with the AC (we didn't leave the windows open at night because of the revelry in Piazza Garibaldi), and it was cool and comfortable in the morning.

I may think twice about rooms there in the dead of Summer (or conversely I'd seek something in the back of the building so I could throw open the windows and keep the air moving!), though I'll certainly consider it in all the other seasons - the location is great and the price is really good.

Room Tip: High floor for sure. Back of the hotel if you don't like street noise, or it's Summer!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

Hotel is in a great location and the staff are incredible friendly and helpful. We had a huge suite with views of the Arno, there is plenty of history and charm. Lots of hot water and fluffy clean towels. The hotel is very noisy and could do with a general overhaul, although clean the bathroom had mould in and door frames were rotting. Breakfast was also lacking (bread and pre packed biscuits).

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed August 19, 2018

The rooms and bathrooms were very old fashioned and not in a charming way. Breakfast was also not good. No air conditioning and no charging points anywhere in the room. The only thing this place has going for it is its location.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018

This was my first time in Pisa, and as we all know, location is the key to great experiences. Royal Victoria Hotel is perfectly situated at the banks of the Arno River, and right in the middle of the historic centre and all attractions, including good restaurants and walking distance to the train station. The Hotel is a Classic building with lots of ambiance and nice views over the river and the reed tile roof tops of Pisa. My room was pretty basic, but with all the convenience that you need: aircon, good and stable wifi, a shower (tiny space) and then just next to the very cosy roof terrace. All together a perfect match to my needs and top value for the price. Thanks to all staff.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Jens D
Reviewed July 24, 2018

This a charming Hotel one of the oldest and few that overlooks the river. It is very conveniently well placed for an easy 10min stroll from the Central Rail Station and its connecting rail shuttle link to the airport . More of that later. I do not want to be overly critical of the Hotel for, as my title suggests, the place is steeped in a proud history which I suspect also drains it of resources to maintain its fabric , notwithstanding the inevitable Italian bureaucracy !. However this does not overly detract from the experience though I feel some of the basics could be built upon to ensure other guests do not take a more critical view.
I believe this a family run hotel and it would add much to the overall view if staff interacted with guests more to further set it apart from the " corporate" hotel competitors in a less favourably location; the hotel offers a help- yourself aperitif set out out with nibbles in the downstairs lounge for 4Euros. Perhaps there would take- up if guests were invited to it accompanied by a brief talk/tour by a member of staff explaining the history and many exhibits and photos that adorn the walls and passageways - not to mention the preserved (and not used) museum kitchen which we only discovered on the final day.
The room we had was basic and adequate , but small attention to detail would have added much . A tv that was plugged in and working , comfortable beds, mattresses and bedding , a welcome bottle of water ...... a small fridge perhaps and a main light that worked all would have helped at little cost ?
So in conclusion ; would I recommend it ? If your a romantic willing to look thro "rose tinted spectacles" ; yes. Royal Hotel Victoria - we wish you well and please dont take my comments as critical for they are positive suggestions to increase your custom in the market sector you serve.
(PS The new shuttle train goes direct from Pisa airport to Main Train Station . In our opinion there is little reason to take the bus from the train station to Hotel unless you have a lot of luggage or its raining. Its a 10min amble straight out of the station across the river . Bus can take a circuitous route and is disproportionately expensive for what is a few hundred metre walk. If you have luggage /raining dont fancy a walk , take a taxi. .

Stayed: July 2018