“Best walking tour in Tuscany region”
Review of Walk About Italy

Walk About Italy
Ranked #3 of 30 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: My name is Gianni. I am a PhD geologist, certified nature guide and tour operator. Let me show you around the undiscovered Tuscany and set up your trip. I organize active tours. You will be able to enjoy beautiful walks in the countryside and through small villages, interact with the locals and sample great food and wines in Tuscany and Italy. I am a 46 year old resident, so passionate about my country. Only private tours or small group joinable tours. No bus crazy crowds! Let me put together a great active and cultural vacation for you and your friends. Please read my reviews.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was always apprehensive about group tours in general till I did this tour - it was amazing! The accommodation, transport, daily activities and walking are all well chosen, varied and interesting.We walked through 2 regions in north Tuscany, and 3 regions in the south of Tuscany, and only transferred twice from accommodation.Two knowledgeable guides accompanied our group of 17, and it was a fun and personable experience! A lot of thought goes into making every day special. Meals are also not every day the same - every farm you visit provide something special and unique. Gianni has mastered the art of planning and successfully executing a group walking tour, I'll give this tour a 6 if I could!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"off the beaten path"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2018

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, money can't buy! The beauty of Tuscany couldn't be better portrayed through the passion, creativity, fun and knowledge that Gianni and his team shared with us during the entire 8-day tour through one of Italy's most beautiful sceneries. The choice of hotels, restaurants, wineries, family-run farms ect. was exceptional. The guides were outstanding in their knowledge about nature and history. 'Walk About Italy' is a must when you're looking for a tour that brings locals and travellers together in such a way where one can only say 'it feels like home'. Amalfi and Sicily with 'Walk About Italy' is definitely on my bucket list!

1  Thank MelanieK2090
Reviewed July 3, 2018

This is a wonderful and well run tour by Gianni and his staff. Everything is well planned but relaxed and they seem to think about everything - hotels to dining. Also very helpful in making extra plans and accommodations, They also operate tours in Sicily.

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Everything about the tour beat our expectations. Some in our group were less mobile than others but Gianni and the guides adjusted and amended so that everyone was happy. Great scenery, exceptional and fun visits to wineries, cooking classes, museums. Can’t praise the organisation and management enough.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 28, 2018

My wife and I joined Walk About Italy for the 8 day tour in Tuscany. We have joined many walking tours and this was the best run, highest quality, and charming tour we ever experienced. Each day was beautifully planned and varied in experiences. You will be amazed at the quality of the food (and wine) served to you at the lunches and dinners. I don't want to take all the surprises away so I will simply say that the settings for lunch and dinner were charming. The walks are not challenging if you come to the tour accustomed to walking and/or doing some regular exercise but there are some uphills as you are in the lovely Tuscan hill country (which is why you come here).

The guides, Gianni (the owner of the tour company) and Sara (his main assistant guide for his Tuscan tours) are utterly charming. They are knowledgeable about the geology, flora, fauna, and the history and culture of an area where they were raised, continue to live and love. They both hold advanced university degrees in their fields but share that knowledge in a very accessible form. What is so difficult to express is the atmosphere and joy that they create as you walk along through this lovely countryside. You will be charmed.

The hotels they use are all very conveniently located and are very comfortable. So you expect great food, wine and vistas on a tour in Tuscany. What this tour provides is all that plus fabulous local guides at an amazing value.

1  Thank David and Jeann... M