All reviews reading room rooftop terrace old town breakfast room is quaint hotel perfect location third floor three star parking garage painted ceiling continental style side street main piazza sitting room top floor original features corso vannucci
Reviewed October 3, 2018

I wish I'd seen some of these reviews before booking although most of them are too kind. Other than the location I can't think of anything good to say. It is a rabbit warren of rooms which if they're like ours are dark, cramped, and cold with furniture and fixtures from the 1950's. We had the extra bonus of a bathroom in the hallway. I thought the breakfast buffet was mediocre at best and the coffee was terrible. When we told the concierge on Saturday that we wanted to go to Assisi on Sunday, she failed to mention that there are no buses on Sunday. The Sunday staff said we could take the train and walk to the town. It's at least a 2 mile walk uphill on a busy road. The coups d'grace is that the only way to get wifi is to sit in the library where you have to turn on the light every 10 minutes. We did make new friends but it was wildly inconvenient.

Room tip: don't stay there
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2018

We have stayed here a few times in the past but sadly it seems as though this charming little place is starting to have a few issues. One of the biggest things immediately noticed is the dirty carpeting. The carpet on the steps is so dirty in spots that it looks black.
The 2nd big issue was the breakfast area. Some days there are 2-3 people working in the kitchen. The food is good but it seems as though they rarely clean up the mess made by the guests. On the few days that we ate breakfast in the charming little breakfast room, it seemed as though no one was really paying attention to the fact that dirty dishes and food were cluttering most of the tables. Even though we were often only one of 2 or 3 couples in the room (and there are a lot of tables), it seems as though most tables had not been cleaned up from previous guests. The ladies in charge of that area always seem like they are frantically running back and forth but the tables seemed to be ignored.

Honestly for the price that is charged, one should expect more. There are other hotels in town

Room tip: I believe that most rooms are different
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2018

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Most of the desk staff spoke some English. The location was great. Breakfast was included and the specialty coffee machine made it easy to get multiple cups of cappucinos, espressos, macchiatos etc.
We parked in the covered Piazza Partigiani and walked to the hotel. It was easy but involved many escalators, some wheeling of the luggage, and a fascinating walk through the underground city. Once you make it to the old city itself, the hotel is just a couple of blocks away. The hotel gave a discount on the parking ($11/day).
We had room 501 right next to the rooftop terrace and the view from the windows in our room was terrific! There are only 2 rooms on the top floor and you feel like it is your own private area. There is a small elevator for luggage and trips to the 5th floor at the end of a long day.
It’s a very walkable city with lots to explore.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2018

I stayed 4 nights in this well kept 3 star hotel. Some rooms have more charm than others. Be sure to open the outside shutters to add some natural light to the room. Furniture is dated but in good shape. Bathroom was older but very clean & everything worked well.

Breakfast room was charming & serviceable. The usual food items, cereal, yogurt, fruit, cold meats & cheese, breads, jam, nothing fabulous.

My first room, facing the street was incredibly noisy on Saturday night as people exited the city on foot. A request to move to a quieter side of the hotel was honored & I couldn't be happier. The hilltop views from the second room were amazing. There is a rooftop terrace is a nice place to sit & enjoy the sunset.

Note you may need to climb stairs depending on room location.

Room tip: Room 408 has an beautiful panoramic view of the Umbria hills. Avoid a room near the elevator, it makes noise constantly.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank fl0werfun
Reviewed June 10, 2018

The positives: The location is fantastic. It is a small side street of the main piazza, but my cab driver had no qualms getting there. It has a small but charming lobby. And the best part: the staff. Helpful, good natured, and definitely invested in your stay.
But then: The first room I had (notice I said first) was pretty dingy. Now, I paid a pittance for a lot minute reservation get away, so I wasn't expecting much. But still, pretty dingy. And then, the wifi just would not work. So I went downstairs and the staff immediately moved me to a very nice room - a definite upgrade. Still had dated furniture, but a beautiful, renovated bathroom. And the wifi was perfect. The breakfast was just fine a bit better than average.
I would say they have the potential for a beautiful gem, but it does need some maintenance attention.
One thing also: it is a maze like nothing I have ever seen. It is a fire egress nightmare, with staircases everywhere leading in all different directions. My husband is an architect, so I notice things like this. Please make sure you make note of exits.

Date of stay: May 2018