“nice, but please sort out your family policy”
Review of City Hostel Geneva

and 1 more site!
City Hostel Geneva
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Two minor points to make about this place before dealing with its family policy. The first good point is that, with the exception of one particularly poker-faced unsmiling female member of staff, the people who run the place are pretty friendly and helpful. The second matter is that the cleaners start early so you may be making breakfast in the kitchen while the cleaners brusquely rub the place down. However, the main problem I had here and with other Swiss Backpackers hostels was with the chains' alleged 'family policy.' On its website this year, Swiss Backpackers clearly states that families will receive a 50% discount on the price of a third night if they stay three consecutive nights. I am a single father and was travelling with my son, we had a private room booked and I anticipated that I would receive this discount. In fact, because I was counting pennies, I'd even emailed the Swiss Backpackers secretary before I left to confirm that this was the case. Yet on arriving at City Hostel, Geneva, when I asked the woman who was processing our arrival if there was any discount, I was given the firm answer 'no, there is no discount' (yes, it was poker-faced woman). When I later got the website up on my phone and showed it to another (much nicer) receptionist I was told that the policy only applied if I had a Swisspass. No, I didn't. Where was that mentioned on the website? The manager was then called, the website was scrutinised and he declared that the problem was that the idea of 'family' was bigger than mine (ie father and son). Even so, he would give the discount. Nice receptionist woman said she had been previously unaware that the discount applied without a Swisspass. For myself, I still don't know why a Swisspass was relevant to anything. A few days later we were at another Swiss Backpackers hostel for three nights. Were they aware, I said, of the family discount policy? Nice woman on reception said, no, but not to worry, she believed me - and also gave us additional 10% discounts each night because of my son's young age. In all, I got discounts of around 100 Swiss Francs back from the hostel chain - although I felt I had had to fight for it. Clearly, I'm not complaining about getting the money back. The moral of the story is that the interpretation of, and even knowledge of, Swiss Backpackers '3rd night' policy seems to vary from one hostel to another. Single travellers need not be interested in any of this - but this is a possible problem that families, who may be staying in more pricey private rooms, should be aware of.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank artgarfheinkel

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here with a friend while she was visiting Geneva. The hostel is located around the corner from a very busy street in Geneva, and only a quick 5 to 7 minute walk to the train station (Gare Cornavin). We stayed in a private two person room, which included a bunk bed and our own sink. The bathroom was across the hall, and had two showers and four toilets, The weird thing about staying here was that the bathroom and shower room was open to men and women. It wasn't a problem, but it was a little awkward as I haven't been in a bathroom like this before. The room was clean, and the bed fairly comfortable. Not a bad price either considering how expensive Geneva is.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here last month in a single room. Overall I was very impressed, as most of you will know (or will soon find out) Geneva is probably the most expensive place to stay in Europe. That being said it is good value and has a nice central location. A bit more on that location, it is very close to the Paquis district in Geneva which is labelled the unofficial red light district of Geneva but the hotel is just off the main street with the trams and I never encountered any trouble :) It is also very easy to get there as from the main station it's about a 10 minute walk or you can catch a tram that takes you half way.
The room was nice, much better than I expected!! As you can probably see from the photos there is a single bed, fan, heater, light, sink and a mirror, as well as a wardrobe. The showers were very nice and the hair-dryers were a god send! The fan came in very handy as while I was there it must have been the hottest week in the year, and the room did get a bit too hot at times but nothing that opening the windows and blasting the fan on for 30mins wouldn't sort.
The kitchen is quite basic with 4 hobs and a microwave although they have ingenious lockers both in cupboards and in the fridge!
I would definitely stay here again =D

Room Tip: If you can get one away from the road as there are bin men (I think, I never looked) that come quite...
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stay 1 night in the double room on 23rd Aug. It is very hot inside the room even with a small fan. (The room is hotter than the corridor and public area). It is noisy outside.
Overall, it is a budget choice of hostel.

Room Tip: need to consider the temp. during your stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank norris6827
Reviewed 25 August 2012

An excellent, spotless and convienient hostel. Should be classed as a hotel! Very helpful staff along with great internet room, good shower and toilet facilities and also very easy to find. Even though a bit expensive well worth it for a comfy, safe sleep :)

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank wills292
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed in a single room of City hostel and it was nice. A very plain room with a sink and bed but it was all I needed. Had to use the shared bathroom but it was clean and good. Easy to get to from the railway station and in a pretty central part of Geneva. I would stay here again.

1  Thank quattle
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Clean, well organized, near the train station and the lake, affordable -- all of these define this hostel! Single rooms are like a budget hotel, dorm rooms are clean, lockers are available. Two downsides: you have to pay for wifi internet (and for pc access if you don't have your own computer) and there is no breakfast. All in all, a great place for young and old alike!