“Boil your own eggs at breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Engelberg Trail Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Engelberg
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Nice breakfast, the usual offerings. Clean, fresh food. Rooms are spotless, bathroom and shower glisten. Loved staying here. Great location in the heart of Engelberg. Walk everywhere, take your camera. Nice people own and operate this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Family run hotel, located in the middle of town. Very easy to walk everywhere in town The rooms are a decent size, but are comfortable. There is a bit of confusion with the rooms number, since the hotel has been cobbled together from 2 buildings. When you find it, the breakfast buffet is pretty standard. There is also an in-hotel bar and lounge with balcony to hang out in, including an "honor" beverage bar.
Neat place to stay in a ski town.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I stayed in a single room for two nights in July. I did switch rooms. My first room was on the 3rd floor, but the window opened up to ground level which made me uncomfortable sleeping with the window open. The second room was on the 4th floor and was an attic room. It had a large skylight which opened up and was much better.

The rooms were hot in July since there is no A/C and there are no fans. The open skylight was lovely as I could see the mountain tops from bed with the stars and moon above. It would have been a problem, however, if it had been a rainy night.

The wifi was free but very slow. It wasn't a problem for me.

The included breakfast was nice.

The location of the hotel is good - easily walkable to everything in town and the Mt Titlis gondola.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2017

When we arrived, Engelberg was unseasonable HOT. Unfortunately, the room had neither A/C nor a fan. We were able to open our window (we were in the back above ground level) and caught enough of a breeze in the evening to making sleeping OK. This is a odd shaped hotel - looks as if they combined 2 hotels and added on passageways and an elevator.

It's conveniently located and very quiet. The town is very small. We were able to walk the entire town in not much time. We were there to go to Mt. Titlis. We were able to walk to the gondola/tram and made it up early in the AM to avoid the crowds.

The owners of the hotel and staff are very nice and accommodating. By the time we returned from hiking down from Mt. Titlis, we were little sweat balls. Knowing how Americans are, they didn't hesitate when we asked them for a small bucket of ice to take to our room. It was wonderful to have ice cold water... yes, I admit I'm a sissy.

The buffet breakfast was typical European hotel buffet. There were lots of choices and, of course, freshly baked bread. They also had a "boil your own egg" station. Just a pot of boiling water with timers. You write your initial on the egg before putting it in the water... yummm... perfect soft cooked egg (I don't make them at home because I'm lazy and I don't have egg holders.).

Until I was ready to leave, I didn't notice that they had a restaurant. Even though I saw tables and chairs near the hotel, I thought it belonged to another establishment... duh. Them menu looked good and others seemed to enjoy the food.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank susankC72DH
Reviewed 23 June 2017

Great location in town makes it easy to walk everywhere. The owner was extremely accommodating and even had special gluten-free bread made for my daughter's breakfast. Real down pillows and doonas. Old flooring but very clean. Ask for a room at the back, there is a mountain view and it is quieter. We were in front, and it had a cute view of town, but lots of loud drunks walking home all night long! Plus the splashing of the town fountain was loud even with the window closed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back for mountain view and quiet
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Adelaide1985
Reviewed 25 April 2017

I stayed here for 4 nights on a last minute booking for an end of season ski trip (extended from 3 nights booked due to the excellent snow conditions!)

It happened to be the cheapest option in Engelberg for a single room. Last year I stayed at Ski Lodge next to the train station but their prices seem to have increased significantly since April 2016.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. My room was good and fittings were modern - I think I was in the new part of the building. The building itself is quirky, it seems to be two buildings joined together with one half more modern than the other.

Breakfast was a good continental buffet with everything you need. First day it was served in a large ballroom but subsequent days it was served in an adjacent small breakfast room - it must depend on the number of guests staying.

There's a compact ski room by the front entrance, but I made use of the paid ski lockers at the lift station which were very convenient and did well at drying my equipment overnight. The ski bus timetable was finished by the time I arrived so I had a ~10-15 minute walk to the Titlis ski lift each morning which was fine.

Internet was free and really fast, reception was fine from my room which was close to the lift on the 3rd floor.

Just before my departure I requested a short letter for my insurance company as I lost my phone and the police station was not open - they managed to write me up a letter with only an hours notice despite being very busy at the time so that I could make my train - excellent service!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

A really friendly helpful and comfortable hotel, yes it's not a 5 star pad but the staff are all so helpful and nice, breakfast was good and the room even though a bit small for two was clean and had everything we needed.
Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends