“Great hotel!”
Review of Hotel Eiger

Hotel Eiger
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Murren
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Great hotel at the top of Murren! Clean, quaint rooms with comfortable beds and amazing views. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok, but the dinners were awesome! Conveniently located to everything.

Room Tip: ask for a view room - it is worth the upgrade

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We had a fantastic time at Hotel Eiger. Hotel staff was waiting to help unload our luggage from the train. Reception staff was also very helpful on ideas for hiking, dining, and directions to the lift to the Schilthorn

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have an amazing view
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Initially I did not have much information about Murren and it was not in my plan to overnight in this town. However, due to the high review on Expedia I chose this hotel and it turned out to be a very good choice. I liked the town of Murren very much, more quiet than Grindelwald and less people, everything in walking distance. The hotel itself was very clean and comfortable. I chose the cheapest room so the view from our room was not much, but every time we pass the terrace we always enjoyed the view. Upon the check-out we got a bottle of water for each, which it was better we could receive upon arrival.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank prismatic0909
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Wonderful experience, painless, breathtaking, and wonderful service. Spent 4 dys in Murren as first time visitors. Suggested by a close friend. A hidden gem. A true Swiss experience completely immersed in the culture. Small village with little tourist activity except spillover from the Stilthorn visitors catching the cable car. Service at Hotel was wonderful. They addressed all needs, followed through on directives and always with a smile. Had a one bdrm suite that looks towards the three peaks with the Cog train station below. We thought this would be a hindrance but it actually made the experience more unique. We barely noticed it's activity.

Room Tip: cog train station side
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I am not one to rate hotels as 5-stays easily, but can't think of anything that this hotel could do better. This is not a traditional luxury hotel with marble fountains and two-story foyers; but there was not one aspect of the property, service, or amenities that was lacking during our stay.

The hotel is run by its owners who, along with their staff, are both professional and friendly. If I am remembering correctly, the hotel has been owned and run by the same family for three generation and the incredible insights that come from this experience are clear. Everything is so well run that many guests may not even notice the apparently effortless attention to the tiniest details, which other hotels frequently miss. From our bags, which magically found their way from the Lauterbrunnen cable car station all the way to our room; to the layout of the rooms; to the spot-on advice about our itinerary that we got from the front desk staff... We experienced a level of unassuming service that was so well executed, it might have gone unnoticed by some guests.

I stay in a lot of hotels, from mid-priced to very high-end, and have not encountered a better operation anywhere. Putting aside the breathtaking views and the wonderful town of Murren.. which you can read about elsewhere.. I love this hotel.

One small example came on the first morning of our stay. It may be an overly long story, but it is representative of our experience -

I woke up before my wife, walked downstairs to stretch my legs, and though it might be nice to have some coffee on our balcony before breakfast. So, I went in search of two cups of coffee. I do this frequently at hotels - Sometime you get good coffee, and sometimes you get bad coffee; sometimes it is fast, and sometimes they leave you wondering if you are the first person to have ever asked for cup of coffee in the morning. Pretty much every time, I find myself juggling two cups of hot coffee and a handful of creamers, as I try to get back to the room without dropping everything... Either that or the staff at "luxury" hotels often insist on sending someone from room-service to delivering it.. even though I'm already standing in the restaurant ... sometimes next to a pot of coffee... and I don't really want a stranger coming into my room as my wife is walking out of the shower.. then I'm looking for cash to tip the guy..or I'm signing a bill for $12 + tax + a delivery charge... as my naked wife is beating a hasty retreat back into the bathroom...

This time, I stepped into the restaurant and immediately found someone who made it clear that my request was reasonable and easy.

Me - "Excuse me, could I have two cups of coffee to take up to my room?"
Answer "Certainly sir; I'll be right back."

A very short period of time later he reappeared with a tray that included a silver pot of, what later turned out to be, some of the most wonderful coffee I've ever had; two cups, a tiny pot of creamer, an assortment of sweeteners, and two tiny coffee spoons.

I have taken coffee up to a hotel room for myself and/or my wife many times before and it never occurred to my how nice it was to have a tray... with handles.. When I opened the door to our room, I found a little table just inside the door.. the perfect place to set something down so you can close the door behind you. Why don't all hotel rooms have these..? Who knows; but this one did.. My point is this - Are any of these things hard for a hotel..?.. no... but very few hotels think of everything...and almost none seem to do it so effortlessly that you might not even realize that you've just been handed the perfect cup of coffee.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Must must must stay at hotel Eiger!! The staff is class and the management is unbelievable. Made us feel completely at home and extremely comfortable. We will not stay anywhere but the hotel Eiger in Switzerland ever again! Hotel staff took our luggage straight off the tram and it was waiting for us in our room when we arrived along with champaign and a pastry. Location could not be any better and views are spectacular. 100% recommend requesting a balcony room! Food was amazing and service was excellent!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2017

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Eiger for a week. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, staff attentive, especially Justin , Isabella n Karla Susanna, the hostesses was friendly and always available for info/directions to the area. Try to get a top corner floor room, you have primo views of the Eiger, Jungfrau n Monk Mountaibs!!! To wake up and see the mountains, right outside your window...WOW!! I would highly recommend staying at this cozy and very clean stablishment! A plus is that is has been family owned for over a 100years!!! ENJY

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murren
0 km away
12.2 km away
Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald
Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald
#2 of 41 in Grindelwald

Been to Hotel Eiger? Share your experiences!