“Amazing food and view”

Bergrestaurant Blatten
Ranked #7 of 206 Restaurants in Zermatt
Price range: US$13 - US$59
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Since the beginnings of tourism in Zermatt, this traditional mountain restaurant Blatten still exists. At the beginning, around 1850, it was a small teahouse which entertained the family. The roots of the Taugwalder family lie not only in gastronomy, but also in alpinism. For more than 40 years, Leander and Simone, have been running the company with passion. Since recently, the line has been handed over to daughter Sarah and her husband Hans.
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

We stumbled on this great find by accident. We were just out for a hike and got very thirsty. My husband said we would never find anything near here but 10 seconds later I spotted the restaurant. We were only going to have a drink but the atmosphere and menu looked so good we stayed for dinner and desert. I had the lamb chateaubriand while my husband had the lamb chops. Both were perfectly prepared. Also both had desert. Him an apple streusel and me the lemon tart with lemon sherbet. Sherbet was fab but I didn't like the lemon tart- was more of a nut cake. Perhaps I read the menu wrong! Lovely breeze and view on top of Matterhorn from the patio. Wonderful - and good exercise works up an appetite!

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank PPLMoi

Reviewed July 18, 2016

Blatten has always been a destination for us since our first visit in 1988 hiking with a child of 1.7 years in both winter and usually summer. This year we visited twice - once mid morning for lattes and Aprikösenkuchen with lunch planned at another unnamed on hill restaurant and on another day for a full lunch. The family lives on the premises and the fathers great grandfather was in the group to first scale the Matterhorn, great stories abound. Wonderful food and an easy 30 minute walk from Village.

Reviewed June 27, 2016 via mobile

I give this restaurant 5 stars. Seldom for me, because that means everything was perfect. At Bergrestaurant Blatten it just about was.

We had just done the gorge adventure with the Zermatt Alpin Center and coming out of this harrowing yet brilliant experience we were hungry and thirsty. Lo and behold as we re-entered civilization was the Bergrestaurant Blatten.

We took seats outside with views to the Matterhorn, though it was covered in fog. The hospitality of the service was excellent. The prices were fair and the food was equally delicious. Rösti was just what was called for. I had mind with veal sausage and my girlfriend her's with local mushrooms.

The menu is extensive with local fare. And they had a surprisingly thorough wine card.

The bathroom is in a small hut and nicer than most you'd find in the city. There was also s lounge area, that we did not have time to use.

We've marked it as a place to return to.

1  Thank Christian L
Reviewed June 18, 2016

This place is directly from a scene of Heidi. Grazing cows, Heidi grandfather watching over them and a view of the Matterhorn to die for. Stopped here for a refreshment after walking from Zermatt, turned out to be their first day open for the summer season. Recommend the homemade ice cream, especially the cinnamon. The toilets are a real surprise.

Reviewed June 17, 2016 via mobile

Definitely eat here. Staff are fantastic- beautiful views. All the meals looked delicious. We had the soup and pork sausage with Rosti...amazing. Would go back to this restaurant if I'm ever in Zermatt again.

1  Thank Q1706OUjoanneb