“Waited extremely long for a simple dish”
Review of Zur Nachtigall

Zur Nachtigall
Ranked #1,625 of 2,114 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Langstrasse
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

It took more than 2.5h until we received the food on a saturday evening.

The water glasses were removed without asking whether we wanted more water. It is not entirely the waitresses fault, the overall organization in the restaurant was bad.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We visited this restaurant for dinner as we got a coupon from friends for two XXL-Schnitzel. The schnitzel was salty, probably to make us drink more what we really did to overcome the taste. Service tries to be "cool", but ends up being really annoying.

Reviewed January 20, 2018

Never been so disappointed. I mean the place is totally unattractive to begin with but the food was always fine. We had an online coupon for the Schnitzel. When being asked for this, we took out our phone. Firstly we got laughed at by the waitress who then explained that they won’t accept this and we need to print it. She went on about how we were told to have this printed (which we were not, or else we would have done so of course) + we went there before with the same coupon and this was fine with the phone. Since we don't walk around with a printer we were waiting on a solution from their side. Only after the unnecessary discussion did the waitress bring the manager who was just as useless and rude. They did not even try to help us out in this situation at all nor did they apologise for the inconvenience caused. We ended up just leaving before the situation totally escaladed. Went to get a Kebab instead, where the service was phenomenal compared to Nachtigall!!!! Never again! No wonder the restaurant is basically always empty.

1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed February 17, 2017

I ended up here with some of the office friends, late evening. Given the recommendations I ordered a horse steak and a beer. The restaurant looks very local with some cheesy 80s (?) decor and so does the menu, which is a bit shabby. Do not be fooled by the looks though. The horse steak here is superb and you can make it the way you want by grilling it yourself on the hot stone served along with the meat. The service was great and the steak simply fantastic. This was the first time I tried horse meat and loved every bit of it. Although we were the last customers, we haven't seen the service rolling their eyes or looking at the watch. Great experience. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 10, 2016

This review is based solely on the service provided at the restaurant

I'd previously visited Nachtigall a few years back (2013) and was pretty happy with the experience, so when one of my friends suggested having a Christmas dinner there I volunteered to organize it. December being a busy saison, I made sure to call in six weeks before and ask for a reservation for 10 people, Friday evening at 7pm. Done deal, got an email confirming the reservation and that was that.
The day before the event I got a reminder email stating the date, time and number of people.
The evening of the 10 of us arrived at Nachtigall happy and hungry only to be told off in a rather harsh manner by the lady behind the counter, presumably the restaurant owner. Although I showed her the confirmation email she insisted the reservation wasn't "valid" since I hadn't spoken to her personally. There was no effort on her side to even try to accommodate us or offer an alternative. Ironically she mentioned a group having run into the same issue the day before.

There obviously seems to be a problem regarding reservations, a KNOWN problem which doesn't seem to concern let alone interest the owner. We all make mistakes, no one is perfect, but deliberately looking the other way at the cost of others and having an attitude about it just doesn't fly!
Merry Christmas - We will not be returning!