“Great Location close to Train |Station”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Montana

Hotel Montana
Ranked #47 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Location close to Train |Station”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

my sister and I stayed at this hotel in October...we chose it because it was close to the train station..it is clean...breakfast was served in a quaint little french bistro attached to the hotel...fab breakfast.....rooms are small but very nice..handy to have a safe in the room...shower only but modern with beautiful soaps supplied...got the feeling that this hotel was eco friendly

Room Tip: it would appear that all the rooms face a quiet street
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Nothing in particular was superb in this hotel, though nothing was very bad either.

Reception was very friendly and helpful. The room appeared modern, with shower only (no bath) and my double bed was comprised of two mattresses, which was a bit of a bummer since I was staying alone and could only sleep on half the bed. The room was a bit too warm with no control over the temperature and had no mini bar so my chocolates melted.

The hotel location is fairly comfortable, less than 5 minutes to the central train station, though a bit further from the city center than other hotels in the same price range.

I got free internet, but it was very bad, so when I had a conference call with a customer, and the sound via the internet was very bad so I ended up dialing from the hotel land line which I then payed dearly for.

The breakfast (included in the price) on the other hand was very good compared to other hotels in Switzerland, with an above average buffet to chose from.

I'd probably go there again next time because I'm a Best Western rewards member, otherwise I might look for other places closer to the center.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tbark
New York
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I am surprised this hotel is not ranked higher. It is located short 5 min walk to the Zurich main train station. Simple but clean room and breakfast is very decent. It has everything I need in terms of location, comfort and style.

I have nothing to complain, except one small thing. I have a reservation in another hotel close to Zurich airport two night later as I have a 10am flight out of Zurich airport on Monday morning. After staying there on Friday night, I was so happy with the hotel, I was going to cancel the other reservation and stay here instead. Unfortunately, the Wifi is my room doesn't work so I couldn't make changes. Oh well, it is their loss and they really should fix their Wifi.

I would stay there again next time I am in Zurich.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank H2bomb
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

As I was arriving in Zurich main railway station late at night I wanted a hotel nearby so I chose this hotel because it is only around 250 metres from the station. I was a bit apprehensive as most station areas are a bit unsavoury, but had no problems in walking to the hotel and the area around the hotel was very quiet and residential. The room itself was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable with a lovely cosy duvet. The bathroom was very well laid out with bath and overhead shower and even liquid soap for the bath and basin. The only problem I encountered was that there is no airconditioning. Heating is underfloor and cannot be controlled in the room, so even in November it was very hot and I had to open the window to sleep. This let in some noise, but even so it did not disturb me too much. Breakfast was very good - great selection of yogurt, cereals, ham, cheese, hot dishes, juices etc. It was only a 2 minute walk to the tram station. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank carolina46
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Situated a short walk from the main railway station we decided to take a taxi due to the late hour, the trip would have taken less time had we walked..For those getting off the train walk back the way the train has traveled, to leave the station. it will save you time and energy.

We had a good reception at check in, no complaint about staff in fact very helpful.
We were allocated a room that had a nice view and was clean, we found out about 11pm that the bed was terrible, sagging into the middle, not a good nights sleep.

Next morning we were shifted to another room, smaller with a good bed, apparently the room we stayed in is to be renovated, after the tourist season, frankly we thought that the room just need a new bed.
Without asking we were financially compensated for the night and for the next 3 night we stayed there--cant complain.
We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant, while the food was fine only had one waiter to serve a almost a full house let it down.
Zurich is not cheap, while the cost of hotels in general are very expensive compared to Asia we were not in Asia and have to accept that fact.
Staff made this hotel--would we stay there again, yes I think we would

Room Tip: Ask for twin beds not a double
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Very polite staff and accommodating. Very patient in explaining minor details, went back and booked another stay with them again.

Room was simple, clean and had all the basics in the hotel. Would highly recommend this hotel for those having a short transit and having to go to the airport next morning as the hotel is really just situated a short 2 minutes walk away from the train station, and you then board the train which takes 15 minutes to reach the airport, save the hassle of waking up early and travelling!

Breakfast was good and I would really recommend this!

Room Tip: Room given to me was near the road side, being near pubs, the noise never subsided the whole night...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank xJanice
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2011

21-22 October 2011
I had 2 nights in Zurich (by myself) before meeting a river cruise tour. When deciding where to book in Zurich, my first priority was to be able to easily get to the Sihlqua Bus Terminal unaided, with my suitcase & hand luggage on my departure morning. I found the Montana to be good quality 3-star hotel, very well situated (less than 5 minutes to the tour bus departure area, with traffic lights to assist me across the one busy road) as well as handy to the main station area for an inexpensive evening meal (I enjoyed Nordsee) & other snacks. I also enjoyed a meal in the Montana's attached "French bistro" restaurant on the evening of my arrival. My room was basic, clean & had everything I needed; a clean, modern elevator serviced the rooms above the ground floor. The staff were pleasant & there were plenty of choices to suit me at breakfast. The weather (late October) was cooling down (but not yet cold), so I didn't need a fan or heating. The only disadvantage to me (elderly, using a walking stick to help with some mobility problems) was that the shower was over the bath. No other complaints & I congratulated myself on an excellent choice of position for my needs.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo