“Not very good: Cannot recommend” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel City Zurich

Hotel City Zurich
Ranked #72 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Virginia, USA
“Not very good: Cannot recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

At first I liked it but the room just was not right for me. I was not comfortable. I could not leave the window open due to the noise from many many air conditioning units and the air this brings into the room is foul by the time you close the window and turn on your own aircon. The room was very clean, the pillows 70% (just a little smell) and the service at breakfast and at reception was decidedly offhand. Its kind of "ok we'll help you" rather than "Please can we help you." 4/10 I am there at the moment and trying hard to find another hotel next week. The Seidenhof round the corner is fully booked it seems every week and for good reason. Its better but around 30-50% more expensive. Worth the extra spend though. (I am trying to move:) ) Cannot recommend City Hotel that well. I even prefer the EasyHotel which has much more spartan facilities and is around 1km away. I might move there. I have a sore throat today and am convinced its the air in the room.

• Liked — Resonably clean
  • Disliked — Bad air and bad service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Buzzy123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

Having lost the key to my apartment, I suddenly was forced to spend a night in a hotel in my hometown. I choose to spend the night at City Hotel which is located just a few steps from Bahnhofstrasse and the center of town. The rate was cheap (CHF 140.00) and the room was tiny, but I was glad to have shelter for 1 night. With luggage I would have had a serious space problem, but travelling light, everything I required was there. A small TV, with a good choice of programs and a Mini Bar. The bed was small, but comfortable and I woke up shortly before 6:00 after a refreshing 8h sleep in a quiet room. My room rate included a breakfast which was maybe not matching a breakfast at a luxury hotel, but I enjoyed it and read a brand new newspaper along with eating a fresh croissant.
Being local, I think there are not many hotels smack in the city center which are both reasonably priced and offer a perfectly clean room to spend a night or two.
I give City Hotel a thumbs up.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ZurichGuru
Lugano, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2006

Was there one night for business. I checked in at 11PM and checked out at 8AM. I had a decent breakfast, a clean room and paid only 180CHF, which is very little for an hotel in the financial district of Zurich. The hotel provides broadband internet access in the room, at very low rates. If you don't have your laptop with you, it provides an access through the tv set, which has a special wireless keyboard. Though, the room was very small indeed. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in an hotel, it was about the size of the bathroom you can find on a sailboat. I imagine this is good if you only spend a few hours in the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom size
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Alberto_O
Luxembourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the City Hotel, it is located in the center of the city and that is a good location, you are close to a lot of shops and you may go all around the place.
The rooms are not bad, we had a standard double room and I must admit we had place. It is a 3 stars hotel and do not expect more then a standard European 3 star rating.
The main problem of the hotel is that of the desk people, they are not friendly and they are not able to help you in anyway. We tried a few times to have a nice place to eat, also we saw a few people, none of them were able to help out. They give you a huge file with a lot of different places and you choose.
The hotel has a parking, but you better reserve long in advance otherwise they will send you to a public parking, they have committed a special price with (28 CHF) a day.
We also had the language problem, we do speak german, but the swiss german is not the same.
The breakfast is fine you have continental buffet and you may choose from there.
In an overall I would suggest this hotel to anyone who wants to stay outside the hotel and who does not need his room too often.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Zivana
Hertfordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2004

I travel to Zurich between 8 and 10 times per year, for a few days at a time.
The rooms are always clean and tidy with fresh linen. Each room has air conditioning for either hot/cold needs.
Service is always friendly and polite with all staff.
They provide room service from the restaurant downstairs.

There are a few staff that do not speak full English, but since it is their country this can hardly be a crime to them. They always make the effort to do their best. As do I to try and talk in German (the little I know!) Will definitely continue to stay here in the future.

It is so central aswell for the train station and all local attractions.

8 Thank Bells2
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2003

There is no A/C in the room. If you are English speaker, and try calling the hotel operator at night, forget about it. The person working night-shift doesn't even try to listen to you, and hung up even though he seems to understand English.

6 Thank CMHTJ