See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 31, 2005

I stayed at the Hotel Korne Limmatquai because it was the best hotel for the cheapest price. I stayed about 2 weeks, one week each time. I am a geezer. The rooms are small, comfortable, and adequate for a single adult. Some of the rooms have showers, but I found it more fun using the common showers and paying less money. Yes, the shower was a bit cramped, but I am not fat. (Ah-hem) Did my ol' skinny dipping heart good to toss silly separation out the door and use co-ed facilities. The showers are separate, private, have a door you can lock while showering, and the shower and the dressing area is too small, but I handled it. I did not care since I walked out with a clean body and the rest of the day to enjoy the rest of the city.

A main selling point, besides the price, is the location. The river is outside the door, as is the city light rail. I could walk to the Bahnhof if I wanted, but usually rode the light rail. It is in the middle of just about all you go to Switzerland for. I was able to walk to the concernt halls, opera and symphony, my AA meetings, the Hilti, a world class older than god veggie restaurant, a get online computer shop is around the corner, the old churches with a group of history is near by, the public library with the music department in a church next door is also within walking distance.

I got a kick out of sitting in the dining room, looking at the river, the light rail train passing by, and the falling snow and realized that those at the Ritzie places did not have the view I had. I felt like I was cheating. Hee-Haw.

I had no problems with bugs, as one reviewer stated. Also, this was January.

The use a key to get a key system was different, but so what. It did not depend on the clerk. They lock the front door at about 11 at night, and there is no clerk then.

Problems: there is no such thing as a laundomat in Zurich, bring washables and use the sink. To get anyting washed is banditry. The clothing prices are obnoxious. I paid about $70 for a barely adequate used winter coat in one of the nearby (un)thrift stores. Solutions: use the sink to wash your ready dry clothes, and bring everything you will want to wear.

I enjoyed my conversations with clerks at the desk and the patrons in the dining room. Each one spoke enough English to carry on a pleasurable conversation. You are not going to find the hoitie toitie mind your own business attitudes found at the expensive places. You also not going to find bank presidents here.

Some of the things need attention, such as the look of the elevator, and some of the bathrooms could use a wrench and repair. But, everything worked, I spent the money on other things besides sleeping and bathing, and had fun.

Go to the Tonhalle. It has the best acoustics I have yet to hear. If you are a music fan, this is a destination. It is walking distance. Knocked my socks off and tears from my eyes. Whew.

I would stay at Hotel Krone again. I am glad I stayed at one place for such a period of time. I also might kick it up a notch and find one a bit more attended to.

Have a blast.

Date of stay: January 2005
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Navigator30037
Reviewed December 24, 2005

I stayed at the hotel for one night. The room was tidy and had clean, comfortable beds. The location was good, close to the train station, overlooking the river.

The one black mark was the sorry state of the bathroom facilities. The toilets were down the hall; when I went to use it, the toilet seat was leaning against the wall (it was broken off the ceramic bowl), not that I would have wanted to sit on it anyway. The showers were in worse state. First of all, they were unisex, which, although individual cubicles were lockable, I did not particularly like. Then there were only three cubicles, one locked and apparantly out of order, for what must have been a couple of floors of the hotel. After waiting for a good while with my towel and wash things in line, I got a cubicle. After looking inside I almost decided not to take a shower... but I had to as I would be spending many hours on the plane that day. The shower mat was filthy, bits of the screen were cracked and broken. There was no room to put or hang your clothes, so they inevitably got soaked. The worst however was the hairball in the drain - I have never seen anything so big and disgusting. It clogged the drain, so my shower time was limited by how much water the shallow basin could hold. I left feeling dirtier than when I went in.

Date of stay: September 2005
3  Thank KrustyK
Reviewed December 17, 2005

I stayed at the Krone Limmatquai for one night in January 2005. I chose it because it was the cheapest room I could find, and it is in downtown Zurich. The location was great, close to everything you'll need. If you are fussy at all, like me, I would suggest paying more money and being in a decent hotel. The room was tiny and kind of smelled funny. Also, there was only down pillows and blankets, which I am allergic to, when I told the front desk, they seemed to have no clue what I was talking about. I speak passable German and explained myself that way only to recive a blank stare. They told me to come back later and tell them. I did when I got back that evening only to hear that housekeeping already left and I could not be helped.

That and public bathrooms encouraged me to check in to a more expensive hotel a few blocks away. I had a restful night there.

Date of stay: January 2005
1  Thank dsmsw
Reviewed August 28, 2005

I stayed at Hotel Krone (Limmatquai 88) in Zurich from August 16-18, 2005. The room was very basic and small, with toilet down the hall and shared shower on the second floor. The room was acceptable until bedbugs* attacked me around 4:00 AM during my second night there. I found and killed about 7 bedbugs* in the bed quilt and sheets. I assume some escaped and are waiting there to crawl over you and start biting you like they did to me. When I told the hotel manager about this, he said "I'm sorry", but he didn't seem entirely to believe me, even though I showed him the remains of one bedbug on the bed quilt. He refused to reduce the price to compensate for this service failure. VISA credit card also would not reduce the hotel's charge since I did not leave the hotel in the middle of the night when this problem occured. This is the first time I have ever encountered bedbugs in all my years of traveling, and the last time I will stay at Hotel Krone.

* Deutsch- Wanzen; Esp.- chinches; Fran.- punaises; Ital.- cimici; Dutch- beddewantsen; Portug.- percevejos; Russian- клопы.
Bedbugs feed on human and other animals' blood.

Date of stay: August 2005
12  Thank bobredpen51
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Clean, quiet and friendly. Stayed in a single room on my last visit to Zurich (Feb/05). Would definitely recommend!

3  Thank Sightseer28023