“Moules-frites are good”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

As most of the readers would already know, Switzerland is very expensive. I was therefore very glad to see that the moules (mussels with fries) are starting at CHF 32.-. The prices of the rest of the menu are as expected in Zurich. The moules were great and I was even able to request additional cream without getting charged extra. The staff was very friendly. They must have changed it due to the negative comments in other reviews. The only downside is that the restaurant is very loud which I believe is due to the design which might amplify the noise.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

When you are a "regular" reading my reviews, you will find out that this another "loud" one. Visiting the place mid week, we were 1st time visitors, we did not find the place crowded. Some people were having drinks at the bar (little group of approx. 8) and some tables were occupied. Might be due to the fact that the place has tiles everywhere, it was loud. Now back to the basics... the Brasserie is in the middle of the so called "Niederdörfli" in Zurich and good accessible by tram, bus or by foot. Car park is a few 100m. walking distance, should be no problem at all. The Staff is very friendly and responsive. During our stay they were celebrating their anniversary, some 10years or so, and they had special offers on their "moules"
When you like it, great offer. They are offering Mediterranean dishes and charge "normal" Swiss prices (which is around US$ 40 on average, their special offer is more economical)
Speed of service was great, the quality of the food was great and we had a nice evening in an atmosphere which could need some noise reduction.
Would I recommend it? If you like the French cuisine and seafood, of course.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

Anyone who reads my reviews knows that I always try to find something positive, and shy away from any sort of criticism that isn't constructive. Unfortunately, we had a very negative experience here, and I feel obliged to share it, especially as other travelers have noted the same.

Ladyfriend and I were spending our last day in Zurich, and it was raining hard. As we didn't have umbrellas we decided to stop in to see if we could get a glass of wine at Bar Tina (the bar upstairs from and run by Brasserie Louis), just to wait out the rain. After initially being told that it was open, we began to climb that stairs and were yelled at by the woman behind the bar, and told that the bar was in fact closed. No problem, we said, can we just get a glass of wine here? She told us that we could do so only if we were eating. This seemed odd as the restaurant was almost empty, but I suppose every place has its policy -- the larger problem was the tone in which we were told this, which made it very clear that we were not welcome. Indeed, if it hadn't been raining, we would have left.

I suggested that maybe we could order something small -- wine and a snack. We were seated, and we ordered two glasses of wine -- reasonably priced by Zurich standards -- and an order of the house frites, which are shoestring French fries (and which were fantastic). But as soon as the server realized that we were not ordering a full meal, she took everything away from the table -- placemats, napkins, silverware. We got the impression that if there had been a candle she would have taken that too.

I assume this was to save them for more welcome guests. The server was pleasant enough, but seemed to be taking direction from the lady behind the bar, who was perhaps a manager. Neither of the two checked in or stopped by until I asked for the bill, even though the restaurant, as I mentioned, was still almost empty by the time we asked for the bill.

We are not needy guests who demand to be pampered or have our hands held at every moment, nor are we inexperienced travelers (we are Americans who live abroad, and although I initially approached the manager in English, we speak German, Italian and French between the two of us); it would have taken so little to make us feel like we were welcome. The wine was very good, and fairly priced, the frites were great, and I'm sure that the rest of the menu was as amazing as it looked. But I can’t really recommend that anyone visit Brasserie Louis. We certainly won't be heading back when we visit Zurich again.

2  Thank paginesparse
Kramer_Gastronomie, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Brasserie Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Dear Brad M,
first of all we would like to thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor.
Feedback of any sort helps us to improve our services and create better customer experiences. Even more so we feel sorry about how you experienced your recent stay with us and would like to apologize.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not feel welcome. We will address this issue at out next team meeting.
Of course it is possible in the Brasserie Louis for our guests to just enjoy a glass of wine by the table. Especially if the restaurant is not fully booked.

At Brasserie Louis it is standard procedure that we clear the table when our guests don't like to eat. However, this should not create the impression that you are not welcome.
Despite of the inconvenience, I hope that you will give Brasserie Louis a second chance. We would love to welcome you on your next stay in Zurich.

Please contact me personally via email info@brasserie-louis.ch to find a way how we can make it up to you.

Best regards,
Sharon Anderegg

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

The food is absolutely great. The place is packed every Night - if you are a bigger crowd I recommend you reserve a table.
Service is good, food takes a while to be served, but worth waiting for.
I can recommend the "steak frites" and the chocolate cake with icecream!
It was my third visit to this restaurant - and not my last :)

1  Thank Trine T
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

I was eating dinner with a friend of mine on a sunday evening at the brasserie louis. We wanted to eat there because we both like french cuisine. The weather was nice so we decided to sit outside. We were quickly given the menu which has alot of nice french dishes to choose from. We ended up ordering the same thing, scallops with artichokes for a starter and the bouillabaisse for main course.
The starter arrived quickli and was very nice even though the portion was with only 3 small scallops for ~20 CHF very small. We also thought that the artichokes were probably frozen and not fresh which for that price would have been nice. However the dish was overall very delicious.
Not to much later the bouillabaisse arrived which was fine, not more or less than we expected.
After that we wanted to order desserts but there was quite a long period where we were pretty much ignored by the waiters. We could also hear some waiters complain about the mess at their buffet which we as customers don't want to hear about.
Later we were then able to order our desserts which were very nice.

Overall the food was good and prepared with care although a bit expensive for what we received.
The service was alright but could definitely be improved.

1  Thank EmanuelDP
Kramer_Gastronomie, Geschäftsführer at Brasserie Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Dear EmanuelDP,
thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback here on tripadvisor.

Our goal is to offer all our guests a good and fast service quality.
This applies to service as well as cuisine.

Unfortunately we couldn't convince you and meet your expectations last Sunday on our terrace. This we deeply regret. However we would be very happy if you'd give us another chance to convince you during your next stay in Zurich.

Best regards,