“Fine Traditional Cooking”

Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wollishofen
Description: Over 100 years as a restaurant has allowed Zurich's Buergli to really hone the skill of serving food in gorgeous surroundings. With its historic rooms carefully decked out in glorious technicolour the effect is stunning. With a brave bright 60s orange accompanied by mid century style furniture in the large dining room and a boudoir-ish feel in the smaller, so much thought has clearly gone in to making this a place to excite the senses before you even see the menu. However our pick of seats has to be on the terrace with its absolutely breathtaking views of the lake, the perfect spot at which to marvel at this glorious city and to enjoy food prepared with passion and verve.
Reviewed 29 September 2016

Not too far from Zurich city (as one reviewer said..just take the No7 tram...) this restaurant is an unexpected find being off the beaten track, as it were.....
The party in which I was included took champagne on the delightful covered/paved terrace & I could observe more tables on gravel, further extending right into the shady garden itself--this environment, without I imagine, the inevitable threat of selfish smokers, would indeed be lovely in high Summer!

A concise but well balanced menu, (inc only the Swiss/Zurich preference for healthy salads + one soup with which to start ) , offers shellfish, fish, venison, beef & pork to follow as mains. So there is no doubt one must surely be tempted by something. AND I'm happy to report..two serious vegetarian mains from which to choose as well. Bravo!
I was taken with the pork offering, as against the highly recommended & famous French-styled Entrecote _ but I was disappointed that (again, for me ) the kitchen here also has the Swiss habit of dealing harshly with the pork ~ the old "white meat must always be well-cooked" syndrome I call it..also it was sliced in the kitchen before being plated ..which regrettably tended to further advance (& cool) the already slightly "dry" nature of the meat.
Chefs here in Zurich think I'm mad! Just slightly underdone, so the juices still run ever so slightly & the meat unctuous & still quite moist, is what I'm on about.
What's wrong with that?

Still, the beef lovers in our party spoke very highly of their meat --though it looked a tad oversauced to me.
It too was kitchen pre-sliced also (as is so often the case here in Europe), & for me this is a regrettable fashion that could well be let go !

I was tempted (& most certainly not disappointed ) with the "heavenly" ice cream..I chose one scoop of my all-time fav - vanilla. Absolutely Lovely!
My host chose a Chestnut "vermicelli" dish he pronounced 'the best'!
The fine red wine chosen was served at a ready-to-drink temperature marking F&B operators who know just what they're doing..& all of this delivered with refreshingly friendly professionalism by our young waitperson.
This is rare here In Zurich..what a delight!

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Burgli

Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

We came for dinner with the whole family the other night and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The food was delicious and the views were spectacular. The service was excellent and always there to get us anything we needed. The only frustrating thing about our visit to Bürgli was that we drove around for 20 minutes looking for parking.

Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

Been wanting to get in here ever I since I first spotted it. Top notch traditional cuisine - the house special 'filet cafe de Paris' dripping in black butter and an unending supply of hot, finely cut pomme frites is strongly recommended. Reasonably priced wines. Very friendly and efficient staff. Hillside lake view location with a lovely terrace for nice weather (which we did not have, but have a reason to go back). Better reserve as it is popular.

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Entrecôte is superb! But then again, the menus and service is generally good anyway. Easy to get to from the city...just take the #7 tram from town. Parking is an absolute pain and really a pity, especially when holding a party with loads of people who arrive by car. Anyway, visit in summer and you can enjoy the lake view and BBQ (if they have on going on the day).

Reviewed 7 March 2016

This traditional restaurant does not have a broad menu, but what you get is really top quality.
The "entrecote café de Paris" is just amazing. The meat is so tender that it melts in your mouth. And the sauce...
The local "wy aus Zürich" red wine, sold by the glass or the dcl (tenth of a liter) has been the good surprise of the night: a classic Pinot Noir, it is light as should be but also full bodied and has a pretty nice length in the mouth.
Definitely a place to discover, in the outskirts of the city.