All reviews aesop products old town boutique hotel the cafe downstairs bang bang chicken steep cobbled street generous room separate mattresses lovely cafe reception area round the clock the ground floor junior suite boutique feel wooden floors fantastic location modern interior
Reviewed April 1, 2018

Situated right in the centre of the old town where all the atmosphere lives. The decoration is modern with reception on level 1 accessed by a lift with a lot of beechwood and black clothed staff. our queen room was quite large. Not inexpensive at €270 B&B for 2, but what is in Switzerland? There's a nice in house bar but we found the restaurant food nothing special (even with it's high rankings and price point) and the service that night inattentive. We's rate the hotel as 4 star with a 7.5/10 mark.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
John M R, General Manager at Marktgasse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Dear LetsDoCurry

Thank you so much for visiting our hotel and your nice review.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at the restaurant and i can assure you we will do a proper follow up.

Once again - thank your for your comments and remarks.

Hope you had a great time in Zurich and in Switzerland.

Reviewed March 22, 2018

Stayed here overnight on business. Some positives, especially that the staff were very friendly. The main problem I had was with the room, it's really strange to me that a CHF 300 plus room has no mini bar, no ironing facility and no hot drinks capability. I know they have free hot drinks down in the lobby but I associate that approach with the cheapest of US motels. And they say they can bring you a kettle and ironing and drinks from the bar, but it just seems so much of an additional effort somehow, especially as there's plenty of space for those things in the room itself. Also the rooms themselves are strange space wise, for example I had quite a big (and nice) bathroom, but hardly anywhere actually to put my toiletries down. On the other hand, I had a massive waist paper bin. My room was very hot, I turned off all heating and opened the window for most of the night (and this was when it was snowing outside). I couldn't get any joy out of the aircon. There's a desk but it was tiny with the power socket inconveniently placed (I had to work). Finally the duvet didn't seem big enough for the bed, kept sliding off. A series of small things which add up over time. I wonder if this is a better tourist/leisure hotel rather than business hotel, when the above things don't seem to matter so much.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank reviewer64Uk

Dear reviewer64Uk

Thank you so much for staying in our Hotel and the time you have taken to write this constructive review.

Pls accept my apology - obviousley i was very dissapointed to red the hard facts

I can assure you that i take your feedback to our next quality assurance meeting - you made some good remarks.

Once again thank you so much for your Input.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 19, 2018

It's not a good sign when the hotel provides earplugs. The street noise was so loud which made it difficult to sleep even with the earplugs. The room was also very hot and because the noise was so loud we couldn't open the windows. It was within walking distance to a lot of restaurants on the other side of the bridge. The staff was very nice however these were just things they couldn't do anything about. The hotel was way overpriced for what it was.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear A2CNJC

Thank you so much for staying in our Hotel and your Review.

First i would like to apologies that we could not meet your expectations.

Just to clarify - the earplugs we only provide as a additional service amenity not to give "signs".

However i have to admit that if you choose our a city center location in the Niederdorf - the street noise can be - depending on the daytime and events in the Niederdorf - loud.

We hope you enjoyed Zurich and Switzerland.

Best Regards

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel - with a 24h reception - at 1.30am after a business dinner and was surprised when nobody reacted to my doorbell-ringing or phone calling.

After 20 minutes some guests let me in but reception was unmanned with a sign and an internal phone asking me to call 510.

Unfortunately 510 was busy, which meant another 15 mins of waiting until the night receptionist finally appeared and told me the line had been busy for 30 mins as he had been talking to his "boss".

Of course we all make mistakes and it wasn't the end of the world, but the complete lack of apology by any party, incl. the head receptionist the next morning, was definitely the most surprising thing, as it really wouldn't take much.

I think it's not only a shame for a hotel of generally high quality (in particular the rooms) to fair so poorly in the human touch, but the lack of insight is an absolute outrage - imagine if someone in the future calls 510 because of a medical emergency.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank Freya J
Reviewed February 25, 2018

We had a very small room (it was described as cosy), but it was well set up. The best thing was free access to the fitness centre which had a hamman (Turkish bath) which was wonderful. I did not realise about it until the morning we were checking out. The location in the old town is fantastic - surrounded by lovely restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for a larger style of room - cosy is extremely small.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business