“Quantity over quality”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

I was expecting more from this restaurant considering we had to make a reservation in order to eat on a Saturday night. What I did not realize until my friend and I arrived, however, was that it is a fixed-price, all-you-can-eat sushi joint and not an actual sushi restaurant. If you are looking for great sushi, this is not the place for you.

Tao cranks out extremely small portions of mediocre sushi -- with the rolls consisting of way too much rice in order to skimp on the fish. One of the pieces of tuna I ate was extremely tough/chewy and I actually had to remove it from my mouth and put it in my napkin. Also, you are limited as to how much of each item you would like at a time; this can be a positive if you are interested in trying new things, but Tao does not offer such great variety, therefore you are forced to supplement with fried foods... In summation on the food, one could assume that the proprietors' business motto is "quantity over quality."

The service was extremely hectic as servers were constantly running around and visiting each table. This made it difficult to attract their attention if you had questions about the menu, the process, etc... Also, they will not serve you tap water. (I travel to other countries quite often and this was a first for me.) My friend and I each had a beer and after being served one small glass of water each, we were informed that we had to purchase another drink to receive tap water... or buy a bottle of still.

If you are hungry this is a good place to try, but do not expect great sushi by any means! Nor great service.

Reviewed February 17, 2016 via mobile

Tao is mediocre at best, it's a sushi restaurant for people who have never had sushi before. The staff are not unfriendly or friendly, they just are, like being seved by an accountant.. You fill out want you want to order on a list and you don't get everything but they try and make you pay for all of it. The drinks are overpriced and slow. Never again.

Reviewed January 31, 2016

I spent a very enjoyable two weeks in Leeuwarden and loved the fixed price or "all you can eat" concept adopted by many good restaurants. TAO is a great quality Chinese / Asian fusion restaurant: not the usual all you can eat buffet rubbish but great quality food that is freshly prepared as the diner ploughs through the comprehensive menu. Fresh and tasty Sushi is always a good indicator of a fine restaurants and TAO hit the nail on the head beautifully! The restaurant was packed during my mid week visit so bookings are almost essential. A slightly cafe like atmosphere and lacking in ambiance is the only thing keeping it from a 5 star in my opinion; the food is faultless and the staff were excellent. All you can eat for around €23!!!

Reviewed November 15, 2015

Great value for money. In general I am not keen on all you can eat concepts (mainly because of the buffet or poor service) In this restaurant there is plenty of staff with good attitude and the range and quality of dishes is very good for the price.

Reviewed May 11, 2015 via mobile

The service and food were very good. All you can eat buffet. Well worth the cost. The food doesn't take long to come out either. Place was packed and we still got a table within 2 minutes.