“Great experience!”

Spicebrush de Proeverij
Reserve with
Spicebrush de Proeverij is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 164 Restaurants in Apeldoorn
Price range: US$11 - US$21
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

We visited Spiecebrush de Proeverij for a dinner on Friday evening. It was quite busy but the way that the restaurant is organized it didn’t feel crowded. The interior is really well designed so it gives a feeling of intimacy although the place is quite big. But the real reason to visit this restaurant is of course the food and the concept of the menu - 3 small portions of different dishes per round, not to mention the little bites you get in the meantime as an „amuse-bouche”. In this way you can try more of the items but get quite filled up as well :) and the food is DELICIOUS!!! And the quality is definitely worth the price.
In addition the service and staff is very friendly and really professional. Definitely worth eating there, highly recommended.

1  Thank magzim

Reviewed August 20, 2017

At Spicebrush de Proeverij you are able to make 3 choices for each course. You will recieve three small portions on one plate for each course. This may sound not much, but it really is sufficient! The plates are decorated very nicely with an eye for detail and the staff explain what the dishes are.

ParisSpicebrush, Manager at Spicebrush de Proeverij, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2017

Thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed June 3, 2017

Fun menu with 3 * 3 small dishes, interesting mix, but you eat too much and combine meat with fish ... not really my choice. You can taste various wines before makeing a choice.

ParisSpicebrush, Manager at Spicebrush de Proeverij, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

Thanks for your feedback.
Fun menu is a plus, the choices you make combining: are up to you ofcourse. You do not have to combine meat with fish if you do not want to.
Maybe till next time, otherwise thanks for your honest review.

Reviewed March 5, 2017

Visited around 5pm on a reservation on a Saturday, with 3 adults and 1 child. Spicebrush has quite a nice interior, dark in colors, and breathes a relaxed and quiet mood.

We were seated at an unfortunate table right opposite the door. With a door just 2 steps behind you in winter, with new guest coming in every 5-10 minutes, it's not a comfortable spot. Especially since it's also the location where jackets and coats are being accepted and hung, so it's quite busy, chaotic and COLD behind your back.

Even though at 5 pm the place was more or less empty, the first waiter seemed very busy and tried to skip explaining the menu to me. She rushed us to the 'wine tasting machine' and half-explained in a hurry which buttons to push. The 'wine tasting machine' seems put there to look hip or trendy, I don't know, but in reality it's a savings scheme to do without a decent wine-waiter to give you personal attention and advice. After pushing some random buttons, my wife and I settled on a red Finca La Linda Malbec. This € 7,50 retail-worth Argentinian wine tastes pretty solid and is sold by Spicebrush at € 23,50 a bottle, or € 4,50 a glas. We enjoyed the wine during our meal, each adult drinking 2 medium glasses during our 2-hour visit. Unfortunately the real quality (or lack of it) of the wine only reveals itself during the night: both my wife and I, seasoned wine-drinkers, woke up with a Linda-induced headache and semi-hangover.

So the wine was only half a success; what about the food? We first tried to figure out the options for our child. The Spicebrush menu does not cater for young children. I had to ask 3 different waiters before I got an understandable answer and option: the first gave a mix of inconclusive answers, the second said he’d ask but never returned, the third brought the menu of the restaurant next door (!!!) which had a children's section from which we ordered fries with chicken nuggets. Then us, the adults, and now we get to the main part of this review: the ‘Spicebrush Concept’.

In theory, it’s quite nice, sort of ‘Tapas-meets-6-plus-course-diner’. For your starter, main course, and desert, you’re expected to select 3 mini-dishes from a list of approx. 10 choices. So, basically, you’re asked to select one-third of the entire menu. Sounds interesting, in theory. I had quite a hard time trying to come up with a decent, balanced, selection of dishes that really appealed to me. So, I settled for: Starter = raw salmon + fried mushroom + grilled tuna; Main = tenderloin with blue cheese & PX sauce + cod with crumble + risotto with cheese cream. Yup, indeed…. that’s sounds a little TOO much, doesn’t it?

The 3 mini dishes were served together on 1 plate. The dishes looked great, served with care and attention and an eye for detail. Nice colors, conveying a sense of quality. Unfortunately, non were really warm, just luke-warm at best. Then the taste. I liked the tuna from the starter but couldn’t eat the fatty fried mushrooms, which were exactly that: basic mushrooms deep fried in frying fat. From the mains, I was disappointed by all 3 dishes. The tenderloin was not very tender and very very raw, with no sign of the promised PX flavor anywhere. The risotto was a thick, fatty cream with a cheesy flavor and the cod was… cold.

The main problem for me was having a raw tenderloin flavor at one side in my mouth and then trying to taste the cod. Or vice versa. It’s just mixing too many things at once. It’s really like forcing you to eat what could be a great 6-course meal in just 2 hauls. Nothing sticks out, all fades out into the next, nothing stays. It’s a nice try, good thing they try to innovate and be different, but for me it didn’t work.

The best flavors I found in the ‘amuse’ appetizer which was a nice tartare with a hint of truffel and in the little bread which was delicious. They also served a spoom, which was meant well, but which was extremely sour and overly sweet at the same time.

It took a little more than 2 hours to work through a 6-in-2-course meal. By that time, our child needed to go home and I had lost all appetite for 3 more mini-deserts. So, we declined desert, paid the € 135,- total sum and went home.

So, what in theory would have been a 9 mini-course meal, ended in a disappointing and confusing 6-in-2 experience. The theory didn’t really work for me in practice. All seems honest and well-meant, care is clearly given to the dish, but in the end the concept defeats the purpose of simply enjoying decent food.

In regards to this posting, we would like to refer to our response on facebook.
Thanks for the effort.

Reviewed February 11, 2017 via mobile

On a last moment we made reservations. According to the site it was full hooked but when we called there was still place. We arrived earlier then planned and luckly the table was already free. The food menu is Nice , You choose 3 different starters out of 9, 3 different main dishes out of 9 and 3 different desserts out of 9. Price Total is 32,50€. This is a real Nice experience the food was real good and very Nice service of mostly very Young people . There is one min which is that the tables in the first part of the restaurants are much nicer with warm lights. We were in a separated part which is close to the kitchen door and waitresses passing by a thousand times . There is even one table in the direct lane to the kitchen and that is no fun. I would not accept that table . our table was just not that close so we could manage. Other than this it was a nice evening and next time i book table in the front.

ParisSpicebrush, Manager at Spicebrush de Proeverij, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2017

Thanks for your respons.
Good to hear that you're experience was a good one.
On a Friday and Saturday a last moment reservation doen'st give you the best table, next time call us ahead so that we can make sure the table is to your liking.