“Extremely disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Maastricht
ireland
“Extremely disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

We booked this hotel for the nights of 13th and 14th August. The hotel staff were very friendly and checked us in - I was given a map of the area etc.
My wife went up to the room on the top floor, while I finished checking in. I then went up to the room (Room 28, I think). Going up the stairs there was a strange smell which got stronger the higher I climbed. I walked into the room to find my wife trying to open the roof window with a pole. This was the serviceable window in the room. The strange smell was very strong in the room. I immediately decided because of the smell AND the lack of windows (it was like being in a prison cell) that I was not staying in that room.
I must emphasize that we travel widely and frequently and are extremely easy to please - we usually look for 2/3 star hotels that provide a CLEAN bed & washing facilities. That is our only requirement - if a hotel has other amenities or is plush we take it, but it is not important to us.
I went downstairs to be told that there were no other rooms available. I explained that I could not stay in the room and I was offered an immediate refund, with a smile.
I must commend the staff for treating us as they did. In many establishments I am sure that the fact that I had booked through another company (booking.com) some weeks previously would have caused some issues getting a refund.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I have stayed at this hotel the last two years, and have booked a room for July 2010. I travel to Maastricht for the Andre Rieu concerts. The hotel is a ten minute walk to the Vrijthof where the concerts are held, and right outside is a square where farmers' markets and art markets are held n the summer. The river is two blocks away
The first year my room had a very narrow bed, so when I booked for 2009 I asked for and got a larger room. The staff is incredibly friendly and they'll do their best to help, but they also work the bar and restaurant, so at times you have to wait to get attention.
The breakfast is okay. I've seen better, but no complaints from me. The coffee is the best I've tasted in Europe.
There is a private entrance for after-hours entry. There are tables set up outdoors for the bar and restaurant patrons. I've not seen or experienced any rowdiness, and feel safe and secure at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank JSOfan
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

I got this hotel at a cheap rate so I wasn't expecting it to be wonderful - and sure enough, it wasn't. It's no frills accommodation. My room was tiny with a narrow single bed. The buffet breakfast was okay but unremarkable, and the staff member I met briefly whilst checking in (and out) was pleasant enough. The main plus point is the hotel's location overlooking Markt, one of Maastricht's two main squares, and thus convenient for everything in the city centre (though not for the railway station if you have a late arrival or early departure). If your room is at the front of the hotel (as mine was) you'll get a balcony overlooking the square, which must be a real joy in summer. Other reviewers mention noise as a problem; I didn't hear any noise, but I was staying on a wet Tuesday night in February; I imagine it might be more of a problem at weekends and in the summer - or perhaps I was just lucky. Overall this hotel is alright if you're on a budget, but for a few euros more you might be able to get something far better elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Maastricht hotels

cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

a party of 35 people has just stayed at the hotel we could not fault it staff very helpfull in all aspects rooms were clean /comfortable maid sevice every day breakfast was plentifull hot/cold buffet central for shopping bar/s etc first class stay no complaints would stay again d barber warrington england 06/11/08 five star travel group

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank tropicalpark
Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2007

Hotel is located pefectly,the only positive thing ( our opnion) we had room nr. 27 on the 4th floor, terrible ! Warm weather, no airco, only one small window could be opened, with the very close vieuw to another roof :( and a very loud pipe from probably the cooker hood wich stayed on all night.
The room was very basic and the bathroom door was an accordian screen . For man not possible to go to the toilet without having to sit. Nails coming out the wooden beam next to your head while laying in bed. Breakfast was very basic .
After one night we asked for another room for the next night, they said no problem , we had to take our luggage, which was no problem for us , we only had 2 small bags and had to work all day. But...when we came back at night, app. 21.00, there was no room for us !!
They offered us very friendly to find us another hotel, but we deceided to go home and after a 2 1/2 our drive we were happy to hit the hay in our own comfotable bed :)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the room + BATHROOM !
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
3 Thank wilmaNetherlands
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2007

This was a wonderful little hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel is in an excellent location facing the market square.Restaurants, clubs, shops and local points of interest were all within walking distance. As a woman travelling alone I felt safe and secure at all times.

These positive factors out weighed any of the negatives mentioned in other reviews.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank JoyceMontreal
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2007

We visited in March one month later than the review I read. I agree completely on every point with the earlier review and only want to reiterate a few points so that anyone staying there, will insist . Aaks for as rear room as the square was extremely noisy on the weekend until at least 6 in the morning. There is no traffic as the square is closed, but these were people having fun talking and laughing loudly until way too late. Also, the bar was busy with a party one night and so the music blared till 2 then the noise started outside. The location could just not be beat and if i may add there was a Thai restaurant across the around the corner to the right leaving the front door that was the best we had ever had anywhere in the world. Other than that, if you can relate to no ammenities, but a clean place to sleep and a nice local flavor bar downstairs and want to save money then this is a great two star place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — shower too small to get in to
  • Stayed March 2007