“Masterfully good”

Price range: US$51 - US$153
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2018

I had lunch here and I realized that lunching in these restaurants is actually much more fun than dining. In terms of dishes it makes little difference but the atmosphere is different and I liked that very much. Give it a try instead of dinner!
As aperitif a bottle of champagne and then 5 courses including matching wines. What a pleasure !! Finished with a tour, a chat with the chef and ended with the homemade limoncello. I hope I can come back here again, what a high level on all aspects!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed August 14, 2018

Chef Hans is worth every star. The food is as we expected: Varied, balanced, daring, inventive and extremely tasty. Great choice of wines at modest prices. Friendly and professional staff with extensive knowledge on almost everything. Atmosphere is roomy and spacious, the decorations well chosen and we especially enjoyed the beautiful wine glasses.
Minusses: The location around the restaurant is ..iffy and smelly. We found a liquor on our bill which we did not have but the most heard complaint is about the music. Due to the spaciousness the lounge music is transformed into a monotonous bass&drum beat and we found it hard to understand each other at times.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 9, 2018

Since my partner and me are true foodlovers and my partner is a chef, we went to Maastricht to experience the two Michelin star cuisine of Beluga. Unfortunately, the experience at Beluga turned out to be very disappointing. The food was amazing (however it did not wow us in creativity), but the service was really bad.

We chose for the whole package, which includes also a wine pairing. We already found the wine pairing a bit risky, since one glass was being paired per two courses. Unfortunately, this also meant that at some point the wine totally blew away the taste of the salmon. The wines were not explained to us and at some point, they even got it wrong, which we found unbelievable for a two star restaurant.

Further, when I went to the bathroom, I came back and found out that the next course was already being served during my absence.

Really don't want to abuse this review to speak bad of Beluga, but we just were so disappointed, keeping in mind that we went to Maastricht just for Beluga.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Beluga is a fine tuned machine with the front and kitchen staff to match! Together they provide a true culinary experience well worthy of the 2 michelin stars they have held year after year. Though I have been here before, it was actually my first time arriving on such a nice warm afternoon and we were utterly delighted to be invited onto the terrace for some aperos and some beautifully constructed canapes offered up on the house. Better yet, the team was incredibly accommodating for my pregnant wife offering up mocktails to her taste and a few canapes that met her dietary restrictions all while smiling and making her feel so welcome. It was truly heartwarming for the poor woman who desperately misses raw proteins unpasteurized cheese.

In terms of environment, Beluga is spacious without feeling cold and each table receives a great deal of attention so the restaurant is well suited for a romantic night or group events honestly. Better yet, the menu is creative and quite frankly the a la carte menu offered up some extremely good value. We were also utterly blown away by the sommelier who gave up some great suggestions, clearly loved his wines, and was extremely knowledgeable but also outgoing and happy to interact with guests. The culmination of this can be told through the body language of the majority of the guests who all had their ankles crossed by the end of the meal (a psychological tell take sign of deep internal satisfaction rooted to child hood memories).

Beluga simply has the wow factor, but it is not a secret so you had better reserve in advance, especially for weekends, if you want to enjoy this great experience

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed July 11, 2018

We had to make a reservation 3 month in advance to get a table because it is so popular. We went to eat there because I graduated from University.
The white russian Cocktail was insanely good, just as the wine accompaniment.

Althought if you dont take the all you can drink option, they will charge most of the water onto the person that hasnt selected it. Thats why I have to take one point away.

Otherwise it was the perfect evening dining experience.

Date of visit: March 2018