“A must see in Maastricht - have coffee!”

Boekhandel Dominicanen
Ranked #2 of 86 things to do in Maastricht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 30 August 2015

This is one of the most unique book shops in the world. The renovations to turn what was once a beautiful church into an extensive bookshop has done wonders to maintain both the old charm and a modern shop. There is a great small cafe - part of the Coffeelovers chain in the back and lots of chairs if you just want to sit and read. Most books are in Dutch however there is a small selection of other languages and a great music section.

There are newer reviews for Boekhandel Dominicanen

Reviewed 29 August 2015

The bookstore which has a charm, because it is built in an old church and is loved by locals at the same time being an attraction for the tourists, who have the craving for good literature. Loved the idea behind - making the home of god appealing to many different people and also putting some design details and pieces of modern art that make the place somewhat charming and completely new.

The fact that locals donated money for this bookstore to be re-opened shows, how important Dutch people think it is to have a place where classical monument and modern ideas can coexist.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

It is a rare moment when the whole of you just goes Ahhhh ... the cares disappear and the soul leaps for joy. Only one other place I've encountered -- ironically, also a bookshop, Munro's in my home town -- has brought on this instantaneous Ahhhh ...

I am not sure I can explain why, only account for the fact. I think that the classical music playing did much of it -- and Emperor Concerto is not usually something I would put as background music, but here it fits the nobility of the space. Secondly, the repurposed church is quite lovely. It glows a calming pale bottle green. If there was stained glass before is now more monochromatic in the soft green spectrum. The church walls are no longer clad with incense and candle smoke, yet remnants of the ceiling frescoes are still there, seeminly undisturbed. The floor is still wobbly with irregularities brought on by tombs of those long passed. It's a church and it's a book shop. Truth in several different guises.

I actually picked up some Dutch magazines -- two on crafts that I can at least use for the photos and one on my boys' favorite sport -- again for the pictures. Then I trotted these back to the coffee shop in the back: Coffee Lovers. It wasn't lost on me that this was at the altar where sacraments had been observed for so many centuries. A different style of worship, I suppose. Through all of this, I could feel my head clear and my worries drop away. Isn't that appropriate for a sacred space.

Had I not been on a bit of a schedule, I'd still be there now, typing this from the lovely coffee shop at the altar of a repurposed church.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

What an idea to turn the church into a bookstore. Lovely place, lots of books, a cafe but was a bit to stuffy when I went there.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

We try to visit here whenever we happen to be in Maastricht. The place is a beautifully modified church with a good selection of books and a nice cafe (although we didn't make use of it). We were able to find quite a few books in English, although many are in Dutch, so you need to look around if you are not a native speaker. There are also postcards and other small nick-knacks available to purchase.

If you're a book-lover, you may spend quite a bit of time here, but for the average person, it's a few minutes to walk around, look at the beauty of the place, maybe make a purchase, and then head out.