“Beautiful apartment in city centre ”

Familie hotel Alkmaar
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Alkmaar
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

We are staying here still as I write, I have been traveling to Alkmaar for the last 25 years. It is a wonderful city. So clean and the people of Alkmaar are so friendly. This hotel is the perfect place to stay to explore! It is between the Laat and Langestraat two of the long streets that run the length of the city centre. They are intercepted by small streets that are also packed full with shops and cafes/bars. The accommodation is spotless and extremely well equipped. Home from Home has its true meaning here. Our hosts are lovely people and very friendly. I can say with certainty that I will spend many years to come in this fabulous hotel

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

Great place to stay (especially for families) if you want to be right in the centre of Alkmaar and if you don't fit the standard "two to a room" description of most hotels. We stayed in one of the apartments, it was spotlessly clean, brand new and fully functional. The owners (Bob and Tiny, pronounced "Teenee") were friendly and helpful, and very responsive in terms of calling me back on my overseas phone number. Be prepared for steep flights of stairs (as is the case in most Dutch houses). Only downside is that the price is on the high side.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Outstanding welcome and friendliness - real warmth and gave the impression that any request could be handled with charm and willingness. Location could not be better - right in the centre of this beautiful city. Excellent value, budget accommodation

Probably better described as apartments rather than a "Hotel", as there is no permanent reception, bar, dining etc - but the accommodation is clean and comfortable with a location that is smack in the centre of the beautiful city centre.

I would (and probably will) return to Alkmaar and would be happy to stay with here again.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

We stayed one night. Best thing is that our family could stay all together. Very spacious, nice and clean.
Yes, there is no reception but there was a very friendly and helpful lady to show us around.
Just the right location for me, in the middle of city and next to the shops and bars. Really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2015

I have no idea why this place calls itself a hotel. With no reception and just a bunch of rooms scattered around the centre of Alkmaar this "hotel" would struggle to call itself anything, apart from possibly a source of income for a "huisjesmelker" (someone who tries to get top dollar for property that's not worth the ground it was built on).

I booked the 4 bed apartment over the internet as part of a trip with friends from the UK, visiting old haunts. Initial contacts were very pleasant and the only thing in which they deviated from other hotels/B&B's I'd organised for the same trip through Holland was that they actually required a 30% deposit when making the reservation.

As I travel with an international phone (Australia based), I do not use data roaming while travelling abroad, unless absolutely necessary. Luckily on the morning prior to our arrival I was able to access my e-mails via Wifi elsewhere only to discover some last minute questions about parking and breakfast. I accepted both offers (neither seeming excessive EUR 15.00 for parking and EUR 12.50 p/p for breakfast).

None of the e-mails up to this point gave me an indication of how hard (read impossible!!!) it would be to find the "hotel" address when driving into Alkmaar as this city boasts a multitude of one-way streets and lanes inaccessible to cars. After numerous attempts to drive to the address as known to me, we opted to park the car in one of the public (paid) garages in the general area and would simply try to find our way by foot.

When we finally found the address indicated on the website (Payglop 17-19) with no reception or doorbell in sight, we had to resort to logging in to the website (roaming!) to try and find a phone number (which for ease of use had been omitted from any of the e-mail correspondence). After a brief conversation and lots of rattling of keys, a back gate was opened by a rather grumpy owner who walked us to his bookstore where we made payment for the remainder of the booking (he was kind enough to deduct the EUR 15.00 from the total bill as we'd decided to leave the car where it was parked). Breakfast would be delivered at 08:30 the next morning (and not at 07:30 as was the case!!!!).

Following the "admin" we were then walked a few hundred metres to our apartment which was smack bang in the middle of a very busy and noisy pubbing and clubbing area. Also, on the way in, we noticed it was right next door to an excellent breakfast café, La Place (POINT OF NOTE: Do not accept their offer for breakfast as I'm sure for the EUR 50.00 we spent with them on some buns and orange juice, we could have had a breakfast next door normally only served to kings!!!).

The apartment itself was reasonably comfortable and clean and very close to a variety of restaurants. From reading the house rules, in particular point 6 of the attached photo, we were expecting to be able to enjoy a decent night's rest. We were sorely deceived. Until the early hours of the morning we enjoyed the sound of loud pub/club music, accompanied by people thumping up and down the stairs adjacent to our bedroom. Terrible!!!! is the only way I can describe our "sleep".

When things finally quietened down in the early hours of the morning and we all thought we could enjoy at least a few hours sleep prior to having to check out by 10 o'clock, we were yet again rudely awakened. This time by the owner banging on the door at 07:30 to deliver the most expensive breakfast in the world.

As there was not much left to enjoy about the place, we decided to have breakfast and head for our next point of call. Arriving at the garage where we'd left the car the previous evening (around 19:30 hrs), we were expecting to be faced with a hefty bill, following the hotel's owner e-mail regarding parking charges in the centre of Alkmaar (quote: "in het centrum van Alkmaar en je moet overal betalen voor parkeren. € 2,60 per uur overdag en € 4,= per uur na 18 uur." - in the centre of Alkmaar and you have to pay for parking everywhere. EUR 2.60 p/hr during the day and EUR 4.00 p/hr after 18:00 hrs). You can imagine our pleasant surprise when the machine in the garage (Karperton) came up with the total amount of EUR 3.70!!!

In summary I would say this place is a deplorable (and shameful) example of Dutch hospitality, and greed. Had I known then what I know now I would have simply booked one of the 4 star hotels in the Alkmaar area and not felt that I'd been taken for a ride!!! I'd say this "hotel" hugely misrepresents itself by the implication of its name. With no-one onsite there is no-one to complain to about the noisy neighbours or the gruff and grumpy attitude of the person "at reception" - who obviously couldn't have cared less about our troubles in getting to their location or anything else we were presented with.

Room Tip: Select another hotel in/around Alkmaar - any other hotel will do. Honestly! Don't go here!!!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2015

Very unfriendly welcome. On arrival we were pushed to accept the parking spot at EUR15 because the owner needed to make some money.....

As I booked this 1 day before forgot to mention that we'd be coming with the kids (2+3) who sleep in our bed. A lot of comments on this and unfriendly behavior.

Room was quite OK but the owner response made me look for another hotel in Alkmaar, but as everything was full we had to stay. If we could we would have left. Totally spoiled the following 2-3 hours of that day. Will never return.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

Having reunion in Netherlands revisiting old haunts stayed at "Familie Hotel Alkmaar" ... This is NOT a hotel - no reception, 50 euros for breakfast option, unfriendly greeting by owner, notice told "no noise after 10pm" didn't sleep as over bar ... So loud kids shazam'd music all night!! Offered parking at 15 euros at car park 10 mins walk from room ... Parking actually cost 3.70!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alkmaar
0.7 km away
0.2 km away
MIJ Hotel & Lounge
MIJ Hotel & Lounge
#2 of 10 in Alkmaar

Been to Familie hotel Alkmaar? Share your experiences!