“Beautiful inside, good service, food hit or miss”

Ron Gastrobar Paris
Ranked #1,282 of 4,304 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Description: We have received a Michelin Bib Gourmand for our 3 course menu of 37,-. In addition, we also offer a special 2 or 3 course Theater menu for 26,- / 34,-. At this French bistro we do it just a little different than the other Gastrobars. The dishes are all classic French cuisine: authentic, pure and tasteful. You can choose your own flavors: a fancy lunch with fresh fruits de mer and champagne, a good glass of wine at the bar, or a culinary experience with the traditional French classics, such as escargots, foie gras and cuisses de grenouilles – tout est possible. Bon appétit!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is by far one of my favorite restaurant interiors in Amsterdam. It's absolutely beautiful inside and just a nice feeling, despite it being in tourist-central.
The staff was extremely nice, with one man being especially funny in his approach with us making the evening very fun.
As for the food, it was okay. My friends had oysters which they loved. One friend had the steak tartare, which was made at the table and she could customize to her specific (very specific tastes). My other friend loved her onion soup and salad riche which she said she enjoyed.
I had the vol au vent which was - and I am sorry - one of the worst ones I've ever had. It was super dry and had very little sauce and flavor. Somebody needs a French chef to visit and show the cooks how to make it or something, but that dish needs work.
We had the flan for dessert and it was okay, but they could definitely improve.
Overall, fun evening, I think I just got a bad dish.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Instead of not my cup of tea. We had the menu and it took them ages to serve our dishes, the restaurant not being busy at all.
We did not like the steak au poivre or the vol-au-vent.
We did like the onion soup.
Not what we expected really!!!!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Lovely location just off Leidseplein where the staff is very helpful and friendly. For those with a love of French food this is a dream come true where you can eat snails as a starter, followed by frog legs and finish your meal off with either cheese or flan. Great wines and well worth a visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

This is a bistro that takes its food seriously! it is in a fairly large, busy space, with a wide-ranging menu to appeal to most palates. They have a three course (Michelin) "Bib Gourmand" menu that in February had a good selection of "comfort food" to warm the bones. Decent selection of wine and beers, this is the type of place to go with friends or a small group, rather than for a quiet, intimate dinner.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

RGP is an atmospheric restaurant during winter time. A dark moody restaurant with exposed brick, bistro tables draped in white table clothes and dark, polished chairs. Coming into a warmer restaurant with heavy drapes and low lights set the tone that this is a special place where they want you to feel comfortable and spend a lot of time. You will want the dark red leather booths if you are in a large group (as we were). It is also a cozy enough restaurant to be romantic with a two seater table.

As for the food, this was a fixed menu so I did not get to see the wider options nor choose from a wider selection. The overall menu is heavy with french onion soup, steaks, quiche and flan. The food was OK but it felt heavier than it needed to be. The french onion soup comes with a two inch thick slab of melted (and by the time it got to me congealed) cheese which added very little to the dish. The soup underneath was lighter with a chicken stock base instead of beef broth (note it said it was a classic french onion soup). The steak with dauphinoise was well-cooked and my only criticism was there should have been more! The quiche was very creamy and actually runny inside a crisp pastry base.

The wider menu and food on other tables looked very promising including cote en boeuf, steak tartare, oysters, frogs legs, and croquembouche. I would come back to Ron Gastrobar because I sense there is more talent vs what I experienced.

Service and wine were very good!