“Best apple pie in the world? Probably...”
Review of Winkel 43

Winkel 43
Ranked #6 of 108 Dessert in Amsterdam
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: Diner, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Description: Winkel 43 is located on the Noordermarkt. It's in the heart of the Jewish quarter the ‘Jordaan’, which is known for its friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Because of its privileged location you'll be able to enjoy your coffee or lunch on our terrace on sunny days all year round. Winkel opens early in the morning till late at night. In the area our homemade apple pie became a general well known delicacy. Therefore tasting a slice is considered a must.
Reviewed March 18, 2018

Yes the apple pie lived up to all its very high expectations. We arrived here on market day, such a nice atmosphere, live music outside the cafe. The cafe was busy- as to be expected from such a notorious apple pie, we waited, not too long. Staff were clearly busy but very friendly and efficient. We were served very quickly. The food was delicious, we sat outside and enjoyed our apple pie watching the market go by. I do love it when a place lives up to its hype ;) Well done Winkel 43!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed March 17, 2018

The Apple pie at Winkel 43 definitely lived up to my expectations. It was a generous serving with cream and the pastry was to die for. It was reasonably priced (I think about 4.5 euro fro m memory). It's only a small cafe and it was very crowded. I sat at the counter and they service wasn't great but I can overlook that for a piece of yummy pie.

Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

To be honest I hate American apple pie so when everyone told me I had to try Dutch apple pie I was skeptical. However, this is nothing like American apple pie (more like an apple pie cake...?) and it is amazing!

Also it was really cold out so we got hot chocolate which was also delicious!

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

When I entered, I wasn't greeted or acknowledged by any of the staff, I then approached a young lady. Initially I was sat at a table and waited for ten minutes, I didn't receive any service so I decided to approach the bar and order there. I also decided to just sit and stay there too!
I did order the apple pie and like they all say, it's absolutely brilliant. You CANNOT fault that pie? You just can't. I ordered mine without the cream and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not one for sweet things and this wasn't too sweet, the filling is strangely light and the pastry is substantial yet light. Honestly wonderful!
I asked the dude at the bar if I could pay, he said yes but I had to wait a further ten minutes...
The pie is excellent I won't deny them of that, it's just your service is abit sloppy!

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

The Apple pie is incredible and worth the trip just for this. But grab a great draft of the Le Chouffe and enjoy. One of the great gems in in the Jordaan area.