“Van Gogh or Rijks?”

Ranked #3 of 608 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the world's largest collection of works by Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, featuring masterpieces such as Sunflowers, The Potato Eaters, Almond Blossom and The Bedroom.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We chose to visit the Van Gogh museum with our children (14,12 and 9) as we felt the art might be more accessible to them. We paid to hire the audio guide, for the 4 older members of the group, which was well worthwhile. My 9 year old did the Treasure Hunt trail, which she enjoyed and it kept her engaged. She needed a little adult support. The audio guide was good, although we preferred the set up at Anne Frank Huis. I would have preferred the numbers to be sequential at Van Gogh. We enjoyed the Japan exhibition - it helped to understand the influence Japan had on Van Gogh’s work.

Write a ReviewReviews (52,932)
All reviews
in 311 reviews
"sunflowers"
in 1,089 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

The museum is located in a new building which very nicely showcases the Masterpieces of Van Gogh. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a nice gift shop which offered an assortment of Van Gogh books, gifts, etc.

The museum is quite large and exhibits are nicely spaced - although, of course, there were always a crowd at the more popular pieces. But, overall, the museum did not feel ''crowded". The museum did an excellent job of providing a personal history of Van Gogh so you could understand the progression of his artwork as he aged due to his life circumstances.

Definately worth a visit while in Amsterdam. We did do a 'timed entry' ticket as our time in the city was limited and felt it was worth the effort of obtaining a ticket to ensure that we were able to see the museum according to our itinerary.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Came here last week of March and was able to see the Van Gogh and Japan exhibition(closes in June) . So much I did not know about his beginings as an artist.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I confess, I am not a fan but that doesn’t usually stop me being interested in an art gallery. I go to them regularly. I’m not sure if it was the 7 mile queue to hang up the coats, or the lack of being able to take photos but having to take the camera because they won’t let you leave it, or the sheer volume of people, but you kind of get the picture (no pun intended). It simply didn’t grab me and was an expensive way to get frustrated.

Art lovers will adore it, so ignore me!

2  Thank MrsSparty