“art deco hotel”

NH Amsterdam Schiller
Ranked #150 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

we stayed at this hotel when my husband was attending a conference in the Free university in the south of Amsterdam, which is only 15-20 mins away by tram. It is a wonderful Art Deco survival with lovely stained glass in the breakfast room and bar . The rooms are clean and comfortable (electric kettle, tea and coffee and fridge/mini bar in room and free supply of apples to munch in the foyer) and the staff were exceptionally helpful and efficient, hurrying up room cleaning even tho' we arrived early, printing out our electronic boarding cards for us, etc. Sited on Rembrandsplein it is easy to get to almost anywhere in the city - and even though I was left alone most of the day while my husband was at the conference I did not feel threatened by the lively coffeeshop scene around (on Sundays there is an art fair in the square). We also asked for a room at the back to avoid the noise, and got one with a pleasant view over pretty courtyards. Breakfast is very expensive at 20 euros (but if you book it a day before it is *only* 15 euros) You would do better to go across the square to the exceptionally nice branch of Starbucks.

Room Tip: if noise bothers you ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank IsraelArchaeologist
Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel which we booked online. This hotel was better than we even expected. The location was fantastic right on Rembrandt Square with many restaurants and cafe's and walking distance to many sites. The room was very nice and with a great view overlooking the square. The only drawback for some but not for us was that the square could be noisy at night even with the windows closed. For us the view and liveliness made up for the noise. I strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking for great value and a very nice hotel while in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles
2  Thank Marshall S
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The main reason to choose this hotel is for it's location. Rembrandt Square has so much to offer. The tram stop is 30 seconds outside the hotel door, which will take you to the Dam, Central Station and Anne Frank's House.
The hotel itself is clean and comfortable.
However, staff are not as friendly as they could be. They were polite and courteous but made no effort to go that extra mile.
The breakfast is ridiculously expensive so we chose not to pay for breakfast. Instead there are lots of nice cafes around the square serving breakfast for much more reasonable prices. We liked Frame, where the staff was always very jolly.
The wifi connection is also over priced and the hotel computer is painfully slow.
However, for it's comfort and it's ideal location, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Rembrantsplein is a great location and only 20 minutes walk to almost anywhere. The number 9 tram goes from Central Station and the 14 takes you over to the Jordaan. There's lots of bars and restaurants in the square although the food leaves a little to be desired.

The hotel is a little dated but comfortable. If you're at the front you'll definitely need the complimentary earplugs that they leave by your bed. There's no AC so during the summer the noise from the square will probably be an issue unless you're getting to bed at six in the morning.

The breakfast isn't bad but very Dutch with thin streaky bacon and quite the worse reconstituted scrambled eggs I've tasted for a long time. I went to the Irish bar across the road one morning but theirs was no better and gave me food poisoning.

There's free WIFI in the reception that also stretched to some of the breakfast tables but it only lasts for 30 mins and then you have to log in again. No extra costs though.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back if you're not a raver
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cookiemonster171
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The hotel is at a leading spot of Rembrandt Square. Serrounded with caffeeshops bars. Whenever we step out of the hotel there was something going on in the middle of the square, either one guitar player, or some painters etc.. Beautiful place. I would strongly recommend anyone to stay in this hotel....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Schiller is a nice hotel which is why I booked 3 nights there but they seem to have adopted a policy of overbooking and putting the overflow into a grotty annex across the square called the Carensa.
They were most surprised that I wasn't happy with this and it took a lot of moaning to get a promise to switch us back for the 2nd and 3rd nights.
In all the fuss they forgot to take a swipe of my credit card so hounded me for the next couple of days by waking me up late at night to ask me to go down to receptiion and swipe the card, then when I told them where to go they disabled my room cards forcing me the next day to visit reception and give them my credit card. I hadn't spent anything on the room so all of this hassle was totally uneccessary.
I would certainly think twice before booking this hotel again

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xtere
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This hotel is smack in the middle of Rembrandt square. You are a few steps away from great restaurants and some great attractions.

The hotel looks good from the outside and walking in, you get a feeling of the old dutch grandeur. The rooms are quite roomy as well, with great views of the square.

However, you pay for internet and a lot. It is 18 euros for one day of internet, and that is just ridiculous. Mobile internet (iPad included) is 8 euros. In this day and age, I don't get how high end hotels continue to charge for internet.

Moreover, my bathroom smelled really bad. I was there for two nights, but I didn't want to bother changing rooms. I did regret it on the second night, but what is amazing is that the cleaning staff didn't smell it and address it.

There is no air-conditioning in the hotel, so it might not be comfortable in summer. I was there in March and it was hot in my room, enough to keep me up at night.

The bed is not very comfortable and it was two single beds put together.

While I didn't order room service (you don't need to with the Burger Bar, and Wok to Walk a few meters away), the menu didn't have anything to tingle my taste buds.

So I advise passing on this hotel. In my opinion, it was not worth it. There are cheaper, better alternatives around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business