“Great hotel with a great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Vondel

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #140 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel Vondel 3 nights and it was definetly one of the best hotels we have stayed at. It is very luxurious and posh. The staff was really friendly, the room was super-clean and in great condition and the location of the hotel was perfect for us. Its easy to get to from Amsterdam central station, if you walk its aprox. 30 minutes, and max 15 with tram, which stops about 5 min. from the hotel(lines 1,2 and 5). I can really recomend this hotel, it was definetly worth the money.
My only critique would be that the left side of the bed in our room was a bit uncomfortable, and some of the nights there was a lot of noise(this had to do with the placement of our room, which was next to the elevator), but this is nothing that affects my overall impression of the hotel, which is that it is great!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Had an upgraded room so was perfectly proportioned. Staff friendly and breakfast was lush. Overall a very nice boutique hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Bakewell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Main criticism would be the size of the rooms. As they were also very dark with all the doors etc being black this made it worse. Bathroom and toilet were also very small. Toilet smelt of drains. The fittings were okay and the bed was very comfortable. The rooms were clean. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful although a couple of them seemed very inexpierienced. We did not eat in the hotel mainly because we like to try different restaurants. We did'nt have the breakfast as this was very expensive even by Amsterdam hotel standards. Very convieniently situated for the city centre. Overall reasonable value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I did my research, especially on trip advisor, so I knew there was the risk of the hotel not pleasing me completely.....and that was the case! The rooms are small and packed full of furniture, depressing, and in need of updating in terms of paint, etc. Although, I was traveling with my children so I thought to downscale things, and don't regret my decision to stay there. The price was right, the location is great, and the hotel does have a good feeling in the common areas.
The areas where I did have problems was the following: the reception staff cold & unwelcoming, breakfast expensive for what it was, wifi not free even in common areas (come on people!!), and I had a major problem to get my sheets changed. Finally on day 4 of our stay I had to throw a fit in the lobby with the management asking why do I have the SAME PILLOW CASES after 4 days. I started my complaint the first 3 times with the reception staff who treated me like I was a difficult client and they were rude....then on the 4th day I called in the management into the story. They were very surprised, very helpful, very apologetic, and had the situation resolved immediately. And to go further they offered us dinner in their restaurant, which is quite good, and the staff there very nice! So although we had some problems, and I was not at all impressed with the place.....it is well located and the hotel is not the worst I've seen. And not sure they deserve 4 stars!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tatude
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our stay was brilliant the hotel is lovely rite in center but just dwn nice quiet road away frm noise but it is perfectly safe..the staff are really nice and always there to help to get there take train to central station and tram 1,2 or 5 to leidisplein nd as u get of look to ur left and there a street straight over it just dwn dere.. the only ting we didnt no bout was we had to give 50euro deposit u had to give at start of stay for if u used internet telephone or minibar i wuld recomend tat u dnt use these cos very expencive if do room to room calls free.. the drinks nd food quiet expensive i wuld recommend u get tram to dam square tram 1 2 or 5 again food is lot cheaper.. overall stay was brilliant nt one complaint bout hotel nd we stayed in a small double

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank anastid
Crawley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed at Hotel Vondel for two nights beginning of February. We arrived early morning, but the room wasn't available until 3pm. The hotel allowed us to check in and leave our luggage with them. When returning back at 3 they told us they were upgrading our room for free from the small double to the executive suite. The room was lovely especially the bathroom. Brilliant shower and very well decorated. The bed was the comfiest bed I have ever slept in. I had no complaints about the room. It was very cold outside around -12 at times, but the room was really warm too warm some may say, even when the heating wasn't on it was still very warm which some may find uncomfortable. Rooms were cleaned daily.

The hotel was in a great location and I didn't find it noisy at all. We didn't eat in the hotel as it was rather expensive, especially the breakfast. Food did look nice and was well presented.

Public transport is on the doorstep and is very cheap. Used the bus to get to the airport which only cost €4 much cheaper than a cab.

If returning to Amsterdam I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MI5TY
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. Our room was small but having booked for a very reasonable price it was acceptable. The room was newly decorated as was the bathroom with beautiful tiles. Although very modern sometimes it seems they lost their focus on functionality. The tap at the sink in the bathroom leaves you little space to wash hands properly which was highly weird.
However since we got the room for a good price we checked the guest information. To our astonishment we found the DVD player that you can lend from reception is 10€ plus a mere 200€ deposit. A bike will be 13€ plus a 500€ deposit. Although the daily charges are ok, the deposits are just extortionate!
Also one evening we spent in the lounge area. One member of staff was asked about the charges for breakfast. I did not catch the amount but just heard the guest mentioning this is a very high charge to which the member of staff answered "yes, this is so the owner can buy another car." hmmm, nothing the customer needs to know, and seems like there are some problems between management and staff..

The housekeepers have always done a great job and were very respectful of the do not disturb signs.. I have eperienced otherwise before.

I found the rooms to be very warm at times and leaving the window open is not ideal as there is a lot of noise coming from the street in the mornings.
But all in all, the location of the hotel was great, we could experience the whole city by foot. I can recommend this hotel to people who do not have a problem with small spaces.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple