“Excellent location on Prinsengracht Canal”

Prinsengracht Hotel
Ranked #174 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 July 2017

We have just come back from Amsterdam where we had stayed at the Prinsengracht Hotel, a hotel situated on the canal of that name. It was many years since our last visit to the city, but we learnt on that occasion that a quiet position on one of the inner canals suited us.
The Prinsengracht is situated towards the Amstel end of the canal and is handy for the number 4 tram from Central Station. Unusually the hotel has a nice garden at the back, ideal for sitting in the sun, or breakfast al fresco. This is the area I love, near to bars and restaurants, yet quiet and residential. Take a left out of the hotel, first left and you can see the Rembrandts Plein, handy for restaurants and bars.
This is a small, friendly hotel offering breakfast and evening meals but I never saw anyone actually have the evening meal. Breakfast was good with fruit, cereals, scrambled eggs, meats etc. If you book direct then breakfast is offered at 9.50 euros rather than 14.50, quite a saving. It also turned out that booking direct with the hotel would have been cheaper for accommodation. They don't tell you that when you book with the booking sites.
Our room was very small, but comfortable. Safe was free. The only downer was the damage to the inside of the bathroom door - someone had obviously fallen out with their partner and punched a hole in it, I bet that hurt! - Get it fixed Prinsengracht.

Room Tip: We had a view onto the garden at the back, perhaps a canal view would be better.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mackems73

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

A really lovely hotel with comfortable rooms and friendly staff. The hotel is in a lovely quiet neighborhood, but within easy walking distance to the Museumplein and lots of awesome restaurants. The garden at the back of the hotel is a little hidden gem. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Unless you like the hustle and bustle of the canal quarter and the impossibly small rooms near the red light district (areas I stayed in my early twenties in Amsterdam as a novice traveler) then you stay close near Central Station and tolerate the yahoo-ing of the potheads and party revelers all night long. Fast forward 10 years on, a seasoned and more discerning traveler in my thirties has preferred to be away from the smoke, so to speak, literally. And it was such a delight to discover this quiet hotel just off the main drag. Trams 24 and 2 from Central have stops on both sides of the hotel, and literally up the road are bars and restaurants. The hotel itself has small if adequate en suite rooms but you do see a canal when you peer out of your window (I was placed in a canal room which I didn't book but eventually got thankful for) so I had no reason to complain. Though the lifts were apparently not working @ various points of my stay, luckily they were working every time I WAS in and didn't experience the inconvenience of climbing up those narrow steep stairs to the 5th floor carrying luggages. If I did, staff were obliging enough to do it for you according to the other guests. Breakfast selection in this hotel is superb and the courtyard dining was just divine, especially with the presence of @ least 3 house cats which gave you that homely feel and sense of tranquility to balance your chaotic day and night time Amsterdam activities. Reasonably priced too so you're winning - or have won already, if you stay here.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Stayed here just before Christmas, left Christmas Eve. Was here for three nights with husband and children 10 and 13. Was unexpectedly roomed out the back through the garden, which was pretty as had lots of fairy lights. Rooms were clean although smelt a little musty.
Wouldn't want to stay in the chalet at the back of the garden in the summer, as I would expect there would be a lot of noise from the garden but in winter, no ones in the garden.
The electric went out one night, the gentleman on the front desk, came straight away and said it was the fairy lights outside that had got wet and short circuited the electric in the chalet. He switched the electric back on by going into a loft hatch just inside the front
door.
Location was prefect, to wander all around Amsterdam. And what a beautiful country.
Breakfast was a little expensive £15 each, hadn't read the price correctly, but there were plenty of lovely cafes a few minutes away, just need to explore first.
Reception arranged for our car to be picked up and dropped back at our convenience when the break finished. Costs were nothing you wouldn't expect, think £50 for the three days.
safe in the room too.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Staff were basically friendly. Room was clean, large and great shower. Wifi works well. They could have promoted their facilities a little better as we didn't realise until the last afternoon they had bikes to rent.
No air conditioner and our room was so hot and stuffy. Also on garbage day it smelt. The fans did little to help. The lift was broken so fortunately we were only on the first floor.
I'm sure in winter or cooler months it is fine.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2017

I've been to Amsterdam before and booked this hotel based on its location. It is located just a few blocks from nearly everything you might want to see. The staff could not have been more helpful, and Mohammed went out of his way to make the stay truly special. I will stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I approached this hotel with some trepidation, as I found some negative reviews that were troubling. Nevertheless, we went with this hotel - which had everything we wanted (canal view, location convenient to but not "in" the center, and included breakfast) - and I'm glad we did. While others complained about their admittedly absurd practice of charging for additional coffee pods in the room, this didn't bother me because I rarely have coffee in the room anyway. The staff were all friendly and helpful. One member even made a call for us to sort out an excursion we wanted to take (Muiderslot via Amsterdam Tourist Ferry from IJburg - highly recommended, by the way) while he was actually temporarily in charge of both the front desk and the breakfast room. The decor could use a bit of TLC or updating, but we weren't there for the decor. We were just looking for a "reasonably" priced room (hotel rooms in Amsterdam are relatively expensive) in a nice location. The quiet stretch of Prinsengracht, steps from both the Rijksmuseum and Rembrandtplein, fit the bill for us. Also, we obtained a far better price directly from the hotel than via online booking sites.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are available at a premium. Choose wisely when booking. Contact hotel to be sure.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple