“Receptionist Sarah was very helpful and friendly”

NH Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #141 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 November 2017

People at the counter area were very nice, specially Sarah who helped me with my luggage and giving me instructions on how to go about different places. The room I was given was kind of small, I did not like it.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
AHoogstede, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear CarolinalC3975UP,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to read that you experienced our front office staff as nice, in particularly Sarah, whom we will give a special thanks to. We do regret that the room did not meet up to your expectations and we would like to apologize for this. For your next booking, please let us know what special request you have, so that we can respond to these. We look forward to host you again in the near future.

With kind regards, Astrid Hoogstede

Write a ReviewReviews (2,720)

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Very poor room, not for this money. Smell of cigarettes. And the worst thing, after 8 days of leaving the hotel, they still didn't release them back to my account. In general, would be nice at least to reply my email. 2 sent already with no reply.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Lukasz T,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write about your stay. We are sorry to read about the inconveniences you have experienced. We hope you are willing to accept our sincere apologies regarding the mentioned. We will do our utmost to resolve the matter. We will discuss your feedback among our staff members to assure this will never happen again. Thank you for notifying us and giving us a chance to improve our service and product.

with kind regards,

Astrid Hoogstede

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Very nice hotel in the heart of the Leidseplein, which is basically the center of Amsterdam. Lots of restaurants and bars close by. Stayed for 6 nights and have stayed here in the past.

The hotel is nice and clean. I have heard some of the rooms are very small, so I would recommend a Superior Room, which is what I booked. My room was large with plenty of room to spread out. It came with a mini-fridge and espresso/coffee maker. The bathroom was clean and not too small. The room also had a couch and desk area.

It does have a nice fitness center, but be careful of the operating hours as they are different for different days. There is a full-service gym called Splash just over the canal.

The hotel has a nice restaurant and lobby bar. If you are looking for a Starbucks, there is one around the corner about a block away.

Easy to get trams, buses, and Ubers from the hotel. I will stay here again in the future.

Dear dfndr90,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotels great location in regards to the bars and restaurants. We are delighted to read that you experienced our superior room as spacious and clean, and enjoyed the extra amenities in the room and hotel. We look forward welcoming you again in the near future at NH Amsterdam Centre!

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Spent my birthday weekend at NH Amsterdam Centre. Had a fabulous time. The hotel was lovely. I cannot rate the staff highly enough. We arrived on Friday late afternoon, handing over my passport the girl on reception noticed it was my birthday soon. She then advised me that myself and my partner were being upgraded to a superior room. Such a lovely gesture and totally unexpected. On the Saturday I was then presented with a lovely plate of fruit, macarons and a cake to celebrate my impending birthday. I certainly felt very special the weekend I stayed at the NH Amsterdam Centre Hotel. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful. When i next visit Amsterdam I will no doubt stay here.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear YvonneJ,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to read that you chose NH to spend such a memorable weekend with us. We are pleased to read that you experienced the surprise as a lovely gesture from our staff, and that you felt special during your birthday weekend, which was our ultimate goal. We look forward welcoming you again at NH Amsterdam Centre.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

I actually like the NH hotel group (the Brussels one is impeccable) but this one is awful. I stayed here four times on business. Every room I had was very dirty, dust everywhere and disgusting stains on the couch. Three times the drain in the bathroom was clogged. The hallways are very dirty as well and filled with noisy, drunken people at all hours of the day (last time one of the lifts was occupied by three very drunk, shouting British girls at 11 in the morning!). This time I also found old clothes from a former guest in one of the cupboards in my room - disgusting - I have more than 3000 hotel stays behind me and never experienced this before!! This hotel is in serious need of renovation and new cleaning staff. One positive note: the check-in staff are very friendly though.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Kenneth P,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you experienced our staff at the front desk as friendly. We find it pitiful to read that the rooms you stayed in did not meet up to the standards in regards to cleanliness and noises within the hotel. We would like to sincerely apologize for this. We always do our utmost best to meet up to the standards and are sorry to read that we did not meet up to these during your stay. We will take this feedback very serious and will take action where we can. Our sincere apologies again, yet we do hope to welcome you again in the near future to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

On arrival we were told that you cant check in until 3pm at 4pm we were given our room and after traveling for hours this extra hour delay was not good. There were many people waiting in the lobby for rooms also. Rooms were very small and expensive. The central heating control was broken and all the wiring was exposed. No coffee in the room.
Its a joke when on our last morning at 8.30 the maid knocked at our door to clean the room. THIS HOTEL IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY. The reception was sorry that our stay was not good and asked us to write a comment but its to late when they have received the payment in advance. So Please don't write an apology ITS TO LATE.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel

Dear EMTUk,

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to read that the check-in procedure did not run fluently and that the room and the service were not up to standards. We would like to sincerely apologize for this. We always do our utmost best to meet the standards but unfortunately we were not able to achieve these during your stay. Our apologies again, yet we do hope that we will welcome you again in the near future to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

The hotel is called Amsterdam Centre - but it's not in the Centre! after eventually working out where it was, with the help of a friendly American we managed to find it. Reception: very helpful and welcoming. Room: This was not a room with a view, and the worse thing about the room was the smell - something seriously wrong with the drains! we had to shut the bathroom door, with the light on to enable the extractor fan to work! not really impressed. Theres not a lot more I can say about the hotel as did not use any of the services.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Rm: 406 - smelly toilet and view of an office block!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
AHoogstede, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear Nina B,

Thank you for leaving your review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to read that you have experienced these inconveniences regarding the hotels location as well as the room concerning the view and drains. We will take these points very serious and will take immediate action. In regards to the location, feel free to always ask our staff members, whom are eager to help you. We do hope to welcome you again at NH Amsterdam Centre to show you that we can do better.

With kind regards,