“Rude and unfriendly hostel”
Review of Annemarie Hotel

Annemarie Hotel
Ranked #360 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 December 2010

The guy who owns this hostel is rude and angry and watches you all the time if you're there. I was very polite and friendly and was met with a quite shocking level of negative attitude that made me feel very uncomfortable to be in the building. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Manicat

Reviewed 5 September 2010

You should know that I have never stayed at this hotel before. But I have had to deal with the rude staff for weeks now. What happened? I tried to book, but things went wrong on clicking the last booking button. I immediately wanted to cancel, so I called right away. They said no problem and that the money wouldn't be charged. It of course did, so I had to call them again. After about 5 different phone calls to different people who didn't speak Dutch and then some who did, they assured me I would get the money back in 2 weeks. Four weeks passed, still nothing. When I called again, they said they never give money back unless you cancel by e-mail. In the reservation e-mail, it said nothing about any cancellation e-mails. This is absolute nonsense. They also denied talking to me on the phone before.
The manager had been incredible rude, even on the point of shouting to me.

I would avoid this awful place at all costs, expecially after reading some of the experiences other people had, who have in fact been staying there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Hollandreview10
Reviewed 3 June 2010

no problems. small room, good bed, clean sheets, new towels. short wait for the shower. I slept through the breakfast time both days, coffee is free. staff was fine. tram stop is very close. sign on wall said "100€ fine if the smoke alarm goes off". much quieter than other places I've stayed but 15 minutes walk to nearly any food or beer. i'd stay their again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I was charged 240€ (+ 50€ deposit) for not staying at this hostel, eventhough I had phoned to cancel the room, because "it's the policy, you need to cancel via email, blablabla". Reason why I wanted to cancel? Two different prices were shown on screen: prior to clicking confirm, the price was 380€ for 5 people, and once payment was processed, 480€. Normal you say? I don't think so.
The staff I had over the phone was really unhelpful, thinking I was a thief trying to scam them. In the end, I know who the thieves are.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank benjie28
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Annemarie had a lot of potential. We stayed in a 6 bed room with ensuite bathroom, and the room itself was fine - clean and even had a balcony. The bathroom was alright, although tiny for both a toilet and shower. However, I think we may have just lucked out with the room - friends staying at the same time in a larger, boiling hot dorm downstairs were not so happy, as they had to cross through the kitchen to get to the shower/bathroom from their room.

I have no complaints about the the location - the hotel is right next to the Museumplein, as well as a supermarket and a tram stop. My main issue is with the service. This place did not have many things that I consider to be standard issue for a hostel in a major city - no lockers, for one, plus they only accept cash payment. This was a big issue for me, as I had booked four friends who were all arriving at different times, and was made to pay for all of their bookings in cash, up front. They didn't have enough key cards, and could therefore only give us two keys for our party of four. Breakfast was free, but only served til 9am and less than inspiring. Front desk staff were often clueless or downright rude.

The bottom line is, in a backpacker-filled city like Amsterdam, Annemarie doesn't have a clue about how to cater to budget travelers. Choose one of the many other hostels in the city that does!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2009

BAD points first. No ensuite but we knew that already. Most staff were not very helpful however one was very helpful. Shower room was like a sauna, extractor fan broken. Rooms were tiny so a twin meant 2 beds right next to each other (thats a double, right?) Ok for cleanliness & breakfast was'nt great. GOOD points. Location was very good, right next to tram line and park and a very useful supermarket across the street. Security was very good and we never had any issues with leaving food and alcohol in the shared fridge. Red light district and other attactions within easy reach via tram. You get what you pay for so if you just need a place to sleep, this place will be fine. Bedding was provided but I took a sleeping bag for comfort. Would I stay there again? maybe!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2009

It comes as no suprise to me that this hostel has received so many bad reviews on this website as it was by far one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. I have travelled throughout Asia and stayed in many third world countries and what those places lack in comfort and quality amenities they make up for in customer service. However this hostel has neither.
Like many others, when choosing a place to stay we decided to pay a bit less and just put up with one star accomodation. It proved a costly mistake, finacially and to our holiday. Firstly upon arrival you are asked to pay a series of extra cost such as deposits and taxes. I have had exactly the same experiences as some of the other reviewers here as we never got our deposit back. The reason the management gave us was that we had drinks in our room. When we asked what was wrong with that they pointed to a small sign on the other side of the door that simply read, "no drink in rooms." Even water isn't exceptable. The result of breaking this rule was $150 euro.
The breakfast is a joke as some members of my group were told not to have any more toast before even having a first slice and the hostel provides five boiled eggs for everyone staying.
The hostels website boasts a young a vibrant staff who are happy to cater to the needs of younger guests. This could not be further from the truth as all staff we encountered were bored, rude or completely useless; the manager being worst of all. When told we could not drink in our rooms we drank in the common area where we were constantly told to be quiet.
Were we not such a determind group of travelleres this could have seriously effected our city break. However the added strain of all the extra costs and no help getting around the city leads me to urge anyone thinking about staying here to quickly look elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends