“Birthday Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #225 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I booked NL Hotel as part of a surprise trip for my wife's birthday. The hotel was lovely, the staff couldn't be more helpful - Susan was particularly friendly and informative. The room was compact, but well laid out, the bed was truly comfortable and the room was beautifully clean. The location of the hotel put it in easy reach of all that Amsterdam had to offer. We had a fabulous weekend and this hotel was a significant factor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Amsterdam over the years and this one was the best. The receptionist was very helpful, showed me to my room and explained the in's and out's of the Hotel. The room was of a good size, very clean with good bathroom facilities. Good range of TV stations. Bed very comfortable. Excellent location to the Leidsplien, trams, restaurants etc. Watch the stairs, like many hotels in Amsterdam, they are very steep and narrow

Room Tip: Road noise is not a problem
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

In the same area you cannot find nothing better with the same price...

Room Tip: The ones on the lower level are less cold...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Excellent room, clean, modern and tidy. Very well recommended.

• Stayed January 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Great location near everything. However the hotel needs some renovation in the rooms. Nice clean hotel, great staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew O
NL-Hotel, Owner at NL Hotel District Leidseplein, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear valued guest,

It finds us well that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. As a hotelier we are striving to improve our service to our guests. We already planned a maintenance refurbishment in our rooms at the beginning of February.
Hopefully we can welcome you again as our guests and your stay will be (even) more valuable!

Kind regards,
Team NL Hotel Leidseplein
Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel during our trip to Amsterdam. It's a quality hotel. The location is superb, the service was good and the staff was very helpful, we were always given good advice on which places to visit and so on. The rooms are quite small and cosy but they're very luxurious.
Over all a great experience and I recommended it to others visiting Amsterdam!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I booked a single room at NL Hotel for the "solo" part of my stay in Amsterdam. For the previous two nights, when I had a company to share a room with, I stayed at another hotel at a little higher rate but 20 or so rank down on tripadviser reviews. When you are a lone traveller you don't need much in a room, just basic necessities and an atmosphere that makes you feel a little smily and happy inside. So for the third and last night alone in Amsterdam, I picked NL- affordable, at a convenient location, and very charming look. The modern Dutch design is on full blast and I was so smily and happy the moment I entered the room I was given (#10). But unfortunately this esthetic pleasure may have contributed to my disappointment at other aspects of the hotel, at least to a degree- basically I expected too much- you do get what you pay for. Despite the cool and newish look of the facility, the shower and washroom tap water took at least a few minutes to warm up. It is OK, as somebody who used to live in good old Europe and now lives in the U.S., the slow life adds a little charm to the trip and is a nice getaway from fast-paced everyday life. Only if you are not freezing in the first place. I was specifically given instruction as to how to adjust the heater in the room, and although I pushed it all the way up to the max, I ended up sleeping with a coat on over my pajamas. My room was at the top of the first flight of stairs so I could clearly hear everybody's footsteps and chats through the thin door. I was fortunate to have a rather well-behaved young group of Italians in the neighbouring room #9. Again, I loved the look of the room, and I also want to add that the bed was of good quality- but I am afraid I may fish around another comfortable hotel in the area the next time I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo