2,357 results
All reviews tram stop city centre great hotel premier hotel coffee machine central station number tram modern hotel corner room travel card day pass tram takes rain shower per day public transport schiphol airport mini bar
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

3 of us stayed for 2 nights in triple room. Taxi from airport took 20 minutes and cost €35. We had checked in online before travelling. Self service machine in lobby to get keys. A very nice lady welcomed us, helped us check in and gave us info re tram.
We bought 48 hour travel pass for €12. The tram stop is outside the door and it takes you to the restaurant area in 20 minutes, DamSquare in 25, Central station (where hop on hop off tours begin) in 30 minutes.
We did City Sightseeing boat and bus tours. Commentary was repetitive and there was a lot of silence so I wouldn't recommend it.
Our triple room was near the lifts and I was worried about noise but I was pleasantly surprised as we heard absolutely no noise and slept very well.
The bathroom was big and had lots of counter space and a spacious rain shower. The hairdryer in the bathroom turned my hair into a frizzy mess - always happens with that type of dryer. Much prefer plug in normal dryers.
The buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Breda B
Reviewed October 9, 2018

very clean and new furniture , coffee machine in room
great service, wifi is stable and fast
location is 1 min to tram line 2 it takes 20 min to reach dam square
and 10 min from metro station to connect airport or train sation

Room Tip: all are the same for me nothing special to see
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2018

We stayed at XO Couture towards the end of June 2018. Booked it on strength of information found on Tripadvisor as it was our first visit to Amsterdam. After my experience - the last.
A quick look at a map of city convinced us to book - there is a tram stop nearby. Now I realise that this is the only thing going for this establishment but also travellers only link to food- basically this hotel is situated at the edge of what looks like a deprived social housing area. There is nowhere to get a decent meal so this tram stop, if you can be bothered to go back to town, is going to be an only way to gain access to cooked food.
We arrived at Xo before checking in time having disembarked from our cruise ship that morning. A storage area was available to put cases in, however I made the mistake in estimating how many items I wanted to leave behind and got my second taste of the staff attitude. First being no guidance how to print room keys and that patronising look of disdain on the receptionist face- priceless. Than I decided to leave all our backpacks and another label had to be provided - the receptionist could not be more bored if she tried. We came back to put our cases in the room and went out again for the afternoon/evening. The massive mistake on our part was not to check the surrounding area behind the hotel for restaurants- it all looked densely populated so we assumed there will be somewhere to eat if need be. At this stage it was obvious that asking reception would earn us rolling of the eyes. We got tired and headed for the hotel and started searching for somewhere to eat. We ended up with pizza from a slightly grubby looking pizza take away.
Finally came bed time and that’s when the full extend of inadequacy of this hotel became apparent. No shower mats in the bathroom coupled with a defective shower control producing either scaldingly hot or cold water and broken hand held shower part meant I had a fall in the shower. I totally smashed my toes, hit my head and severely bruised my arms trying to break the fall. The shower tray was so slippery (before adding any shower gel) that it was a job to actually get up. Straight after accident I called reception, there was no inspection by maintenance, no enquiry if I need medical attention. I asked for a record of my accident to be made in hotel accident book - receptionist confirmed it will be done. I demanded to see the manager but was told he was not available but would be the next morning around 10.00. Bearing in mind we had a flight to catch I was reasonably happy to wait till 10.00 to speak to him. The manager, however did not arrive by 10am. I spoke to the said receptionist- apparently no one ever fell in their showers. It that’s the case why the manager was not more eager to see me to establish cause of my accident? I believe, from dealing with staff of this establishment afterwards, because of their disdain towards customers. As the manager was not available to see me I wrote to the hotel with a record of what happened on their premises. I pointed out that this set up could be lethal to an old person or someone simply less agile than me. I was assured that repairs were done and that all other showers were maintained in line. For insurance claim purposes I needed a record of my accident. On legal advice, I asked for copy of the entry from accident book and copies of documents showing that repairs were made to the defective shower. The manger refused under GDPR rules. I pointed out that as the data holder they were obliged to release data to me. They stated Dutch law allows them not to. Interestingly they were unable to quote the relevant regulations and it seems strange that a domestic law can override European legislation. The manager confirmed in writing that my accident was recorded in the accident book, however through a series of emails with the superior of the hotel manager, I then found out that there was no accident book, no record and that Dutch law allows them not to keep a record.
In conclusion- if you are happy to be patronised in an ordinary hotel in the midst of a social housing area, risk your health to poorly maintained shower and being deceived by management of the establishment, this is the place for you.
The attitude of the staff and management was so extraordinary that I researched the Netherlands further. Basically, folks, blogs, reviews, travellers and Dutch people's own opinions expressed through various social media seem to suggest its beneath a Dutch person to provide a service to others. Amsterdam was ok, but not so special as to perversely allowing myself to being treated like dirt. There are number of European destinations that I would rather spend my money in.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Expedition788750
Xo-Hotels, General Manager at XO Hotels Couture, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Expedition788750,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our hotel.

I have to be honest that I was suprised when I was reading your review, as in your multiple mails to us, you never mentioned that the location of the hotel and the lack of availabile food in the area was an issue.
Our neighborhood is a safe and clean area habited by middle class house owners.
Our location is no secret, we are on the edge of the city centre, not downtown. Google Maps and Tripadvisor itself are wonderful tools to discover several nice restaurants in the close vecinity of the hotel. Also many of our guests take the convenient tram nr. 2 to the city centre to have their meals along the route or in the centre.

I can not recognize our staff’s attitude in your words that we did not bother or were unwilling to assist you.
As mentioned to you before, our finest goal is to guarantee clean, comfortable and safe rooms for all of our guests, every day of the year. Our showers are certified (rain) showers, very well reviewed by a countless amount guests who stayed in our hotel before.

You might be not waiting to hear this again but it is just to show you, our team, myself included, have the best intentions to make the stay of our guests the best experience in an hotel possible.
I am sure the city of Amsterdam still has many more beautiful things to and discover than can be experienced during a one night stay only. So please feel welcome to come back any time and stay a little longer. You won't regret it!

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

When we arrived we were dissapointed as were not greeted at reception. After waiting 10 minutes we were told to go to self check in. Not asked if we needed help etc. When we had checked in we went to our room and the coffee machine, and do not disturb / make up our room signs were broken. We then receieved an email from XO asking our first impressions, and stating if we had any issues they would fix them. We told them about the broken items and the next day nothing had changed. We went out for the day and when we got back around 8 hours later the room was not made up and everything was still broken. A long conversation later with a complaint over the phone and Facebook, when the reception team couldn't help, the manager finally called. We agreed to a free breakfast and told it would all be ok. Well the next 2 days our room was not made up, our problems were not resolved and breakfast was not worth the problems with the room. The cleaning team only came when called and only half cleaned the room. They didnt knock and walked right in. If we were undressed they didn't care.
Holes in the bedding were the least of our issues.
If you want a relaxed hotel with no problems, do not stay here. A hostel in town would be a better choice.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Xo-Hotels, General Manager at XO Hotels Couture, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Berrycom,

We really regret the fact that your experience with us felt disappointing.
We do however appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments. We will use your comments to improve our services and products. Reading your review I do feel the urgency to add some nuances to it.
I do remember that our colleague went to your room to explain you how the coffee machine works. Without water no coffee.. In order to keep it easy and simple we made an instruction display in both Dutch and English, explaining how the Nespresso machine operates. If personal assistance is needed besides this explanation, we happily pass by any room to demonstrate it!
Regarding the do not disturb sign I wanted to offer you my apologies that it was broken.
As it was smashed very recently before we did not have the time to fix it right away.
When we noticed this I called you to offer you an intermediate room change to the room next door with a blinking new do not disturb display. I remember having offered you to carry your luggage myself to minimize the disturbance and inconvenience for you and your travel partner. You opted to stay in the same room and not to change. Being aware that the do not disturb sign could not be repaired the following days my colleague made a customized one for you which was used by you every day. To be sure about you receiving housekeeping service I asked my front desk staff to contact you the next day to ask you if service was required. Your replied with a no. The more surprised I am to read your comments now. I am under the impression that we have had several miscommunications, which is something I regret. I also have the feeling now that you were actually overcompensated for the whole thing. Please trust me that my team and me are working on providing the best service to our appreciated guests on a daily basis, even if they are making mountains out of molehills. We would be delighted to welcome you again in the future as one of our guests.

Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

The room was fine, but the food was pretty bad. Had to stick to cold cuts and cereal at the buffet.

I ordered room service and it was the saltiest food I ever had.

The hotel staff lied about the sprinter train not running early in the morning and tricked me into spending a little under 40 euros for a taxi to the airport. I should have looked it up, because the train ticket is under 10 per person.

The hotel is insanely close to the airport but right in front of the tram/trolley, so semi-decent location.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Ian N
Xo-Hotels, General Manager at XO Hotels Couture, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2018

Dear Ian,

I am sorry to read that our service was not what you may expect from a hotel like ours.
In order to check who flipped over the salt shaker too eagerly and gave you errant info about public transport
I would be very grateful to receive your booking details. Once again our sincere apologies.
Many thanks in advance for contacting me at: info @ xohotelscouture . com