“What a fabulous experience”

Teppanyaki Restaurant Sazanka
Ranked #26 of 4,561 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$23 - US$127
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Description: The Teppan-chefs will prepare the most delicious fish, meat and vegetarian dishes on a hot iron griddle at your table: a la minute cooking with Japanese precision. The contemporary Japanese interior, inspired by the elements of stone, wood, water and fire, is an oasis of tranquillity. The teppanyaki griddles are large enough for seven to ten guests and are ideal for both business and celebratory dinners. Sazanka is open for dinner from 18:30 to 22:00 daily. Lunch can be prepared for a minimum group size of 10 people and must be booked in advance.
Reviewed October 2, 2017

I sat next to a lovely Japaneses family who live in Amsterdam and 3 other locals - I think its very telling when a hotel restaurant is so good its full of locals. We were treated to the most amazing display - more like art or poetry than cooking. The food was so skillfully and artistically prepared and very clear that chef took so much pleasure from delighting us.
I had the classic menu with the Wagyu beef and matching wines - exceptional

1  Thank Gillianlesleywhite
Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed September 30, 2017

My husband and I came for dinner. Our chef was amazing and so talented. I had the veggie menu, and my husband the regular one. He doesnt eat fish, and they happily changed the fish options to chicken or fish. The restaurant is obviously teppanyaki style, in that there are about seven people sat around one chef. This is always nice as you meet lovely people, and we surely did, including one man who has been attending the restaurant for 20 years! The only draw back is that the food does take long to cook, which did not bother us as we had no other plans, but if we did then it would have been annoying. The food tasted absolutely amazing! All my veggie options were so tasty and I left feeling very full. Cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed September 26, 2017 via mobile

I have been eating here before, and the quality is deteriorating while it is becoming more commercial. It has come to a point I don’t expect to visit this restaurant anymore.

First, it starts with four groups (2+2+4+2) around the table, coming at different times and ordering different menu’s. A single chef has to please such a bunch ... Impossible.

Because this restaurant is always fully packed and understaffed, glasses were often left empty for quite a while.

Of course the good is nice, but with a bill of euro 500 for two you expect way more. I expect personal attention, I expect all food to be prepared in front of you, I expect a bit if ‘show’/‘entertainment’.

Some courses were prepared in the kitchen and ‘just’ served or heated/cooked and then served. Fine if you want to reduce effort/staff and maximize servings, but it did not please me.

I would rate this euro 500 dinner worth euro 200. You impress your partner with the ‘Okura brand’, not with the rest. Sad to see how success can spoil.

HotelOkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Teppanyaki Restaurant Sazanka, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2017

Dear Peter W,

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for returning to Teppanyaki Restaurant Sazanka and for reviewing us on Tripadvisor and so sharing your valued feedback.
I would like to apologize for the fact Team Sazanka was not able to fully satisfy you. It is of great value to receive detailed feedback like yours, as it provides insight into the wishes and needs of our guests.
Leaving glasses empty and not providing you with personal attention do not meet the standards of Sazanka Restaurant.
I would like to share some backgrounds with you on your comment about the lack of show/entertainment and some dishes being prepared in our kitchen. The main purpose of our teppanyaki restaurant is to provide our guests with extraordinary food, which does not lay priority on the show-element but rather on quality of ingredients. Moreover, a minority of dishes is prepared in the back-kitchen, as they are typical classics, which require much more preparation, but in our eyes are worth putting on the menu for reasons as popularity and authenticity. I am sorry we could not find the right balance in your case.
However, as said, we much appreciate your feedback and will take a look if any changes or improvements are to be made following your comments.
Despite your disappointing experience, I do hope you provide us with another chance, showing you the care and attention you may expect from us.

Warm regards,

Jasper Banen
Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Reviewed September 24, 2017

A magnificent teppanyaki experience. We arrived early and, sitting alone at the hot plate, we could enjoy the last preparations for dinner service. Later we were joined by other guests.
We had the "Classic menu", prepared in front of us by a friendly chef with an amazing technique: her preparation of the dorada was nothing short of jaw dropping!
Each guest had different dishes, and the precision and speed of the cooking was astonishing.
The dessert, a tasty crepe with ice cream, was a bit disappointing, compared to the excellence of the previous Japanese dishes.

Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

Undoubtedly the best japanese food i've eaten in the Netherlands. Wagyu beef is absolutely amazing. And leave some space in your stomach for an ice cream.