“Finesse and fantasy”
Review of Taiko

Taiko
Reserve with
Taiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #275 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$71 - US$235
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
Description: Taiko is the Conservatorium Hotel's leading restaurant. Named after ancient Japanese drums said to beat with a mythic rhythm, Taiko is situated in the former percussion classroom of the conservatorium music school. The restaurant serves a wide variety of Asian inspired dishes, from beautifully crafted sushi and fresh sashimi of the highest quality, to unique signature dishes like black cod with green miso and see vegetables, and a green vegetable curry with ginkgo nut and lime risotini. Our Executive Chef Schilo van Coevorden has worked extensively around Asia, feeding a passion that has continued to grow to this day. Returning to Amsterdam, he long dreamed of marrying his love of the Asian cuisine with local, seasonal produce to create a whole new concept. Taiko is the realization of this concept where Schilo combines all the skills, ingredients and flavours he has discovered in the Far East with the best of our local Dutch offerings. The menu is designed for shared dining, with dishes that are placed in the middle of the table and can easily be shared amongst groups.
Reviewed 14 October 2017

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the Conservatorium Hotel and knowing that the highly acclaimed, Asian fusion restaurant, Taiko, lives in the premises, we could hardly contain ourselves and planned a visit. An early booking was assured and we arrived to find a highly motivated and lively staff preparing for another night of excitement. A staff member plays the Taiko drum each time a new guest arrives and the sound gets quite exciting as the night progresses. Another staff member explains the menu to you and answers all your questions about it. After a good study of the menu, we both decided on the Classic Omakase Menu at 85 Euros each. This menu is made up of the all time guest favourite dishes for the last 3 years. The only difference is that I wanted only cooked dishes and my wife wanted raw dishes, which was easily accommodated by the chef. Each plate was a fantasy for the eye and excitement for the palate. My Japanese wife easily identified each ingredient and was very pleased with every morsel of food. I was very happy to receive the quality ingredients, cooked to perfection. I washed my meal down with a hot, dry sake which was delicious. The desserts were equally appealing and delightful to taste. This is the easily the best meal we ate in Europe, during our 5 week tour. If you get a chance to visit Amsterdam, this is a must visit. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

I went here tonight with a friend and it was a memorable evening. Loved the restaurant. Nice service, not very shishi i.e. Relaxed nice hip entourage. Young people and good ambiance. The food was truly the best I have had in Amsterdam. The wagyu 5 was unbelievable. Sushi was great. Sake was beautiful.I will be back as truly everything we had was WOWW!!
I had been to the previous restaurant before but never went back due to the stiff ambiance. Taiko is nothing like it and is a must to try for those who like good food.
I will be back

Reviewed 7 October 2017

The restaurant of the Conservatorium Hotel is a stylish venue with brick walls, a high ceiling and bamboo deco. It serves both Japanese and Chinese food of high quality. We had excellent soups, sushi and dim sum and deliciously creative desserts. Options for children are also offered. The atmosphere is relaxed, although a bit noisy, and the service friendly and attentive. In contrast to the other restaurants in Amsterdam we visited, Taiko does not have a Michelin star, but in our opinion the cuisine was clearly on the same level.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

We had the Progressive Omakase menus along a nice Pouilly Fume and it was delicious. They were a bit behind for the reservations but as we had to wait 25/30 minutes, they offered us some champagne glasses in the mean time. The service was awesome and every single meal were delicious with a great description. By the way, the dumplings with black truffles were awesome!!!!!!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

A very good restaurant in many ways. The ambience is excellent. I had the "progressive omakase" which was a bit rich for my tastes but was certainly flavourful, creative and artfully presented. Wait staff are attentive though not all speak English as well as one might expect, leading to some confusion at times. Price is on the high side but that's high-end Amsterdam eating for you.