See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 31, 2011

first the hotel have no reception, the images are misleading and the pluming system was not working, so i moved to an attic room with no shades, so i used to wake up with the early morning light, and while i was leaving there was no one at the reception to check me out, its a very poor hotel, avoid.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Yehia e
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I've just got back from a 3-night trip with my boyfriend in Amsterdam. We booked very last minute and didn't spend too long researching where to stay (possibly an error in hindsight...)

Like many people have said this hotel looks great in the website but it has suffered quite a lot of 'wear-and-tear' since those photos were taken! Luckily we had called ahead to say we wouldn't be arriving until 11pm and we arrived to find one very sullen girl waiting in the cafe for us- but at least we got in! I didn't see anyone else on reception for the rest of our stay and the staff we did see in the cafe were disinterested to the extreme! Reception area is quite dingy but nothing compared to the dark corridor and tiny, creaking lift!

We were staying in one of the attic rooms which was small but fine for us, and quite characterful. On first look we were impressed- but it soon became clear that the walls were very scuffed, floor was dusty and there was a rather rancid smell perpetrating from the sink. The shower whilst looking impressive (and clean) lacked any power and water temperature was rather unreliable! On a plus side the bed was very comfortable and sheets were nice. A minimal level of housekeeping took place- towels were replaced each day (but old towels left lying on the floor...), bin was emptied. Otherwise bed wasn't touched (as we had roughly made it ourselves), floor wasn't cleaned and loo roll was never replaced.

Overall I think the hotel has potential to be great- fantastic quiet location but a stones throw from centre of town. Rooms are nicely designed but have been allowed to get tired and reception areas and staff need a major overall! Food in the cafe wasn't exactly up to the standards I would expect for €15 (ish) either.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cam_foster
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Booked through a 'boutique' hotel company -very misleading as not even up to hostel standards.
I cannot say enough to explain just how awful this was. Reasons not to stay:
Locked and closed on arrival at 9pm -Took a man from a sister hotel two hours to come and let us in. It smells terrible -sewerage. Totally unsafe stairs -steep and no handrail and unclear fire exit. There was no key to our room -they left us the master key. there were NO staff on the site. The minbar was broken and mouldy. The brasserie was shut. There was an open fuse box in wardrobe. freezing cold -no heating on in room [November] . it seems we were the only guests [luckily for everyone else!]. It was filthy. cowboy botch job on the building. We went and waited in a nearby hotel for the man to let us in and the staff there said it happens all the time and people just chek out and go round the corner to them once they see the rooms.
It was 11.15pm by the time we got in our room and so it was too late to find anywhere else [and the one round the corner had no room] but first thing in the morning we left. They have said they will not charge us but we need to see the credit card bill before we know for sure. I truly do not know how they can get away with it -or who the people ar who have given good reviews?? Maybe they got a v. cheap deal -we didn't -and we were in a deluxe room! Just awful even for free I would not stay again -ever.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thislinda
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Our stay:
This is a real shocker. A wonderfully designed (small but very efficient) boutique hotel located right at the hart of the best known fashionstreet of amsterdam and holland. When build probably looked great but bad materials, bad construction, bad cleaning and general lack of management really took it's toll. It does smell a little funny as mentioned earlier, there's cracks in almost every wall and there isn't a piece of wall unscarred by run-ins with luggage. The room looked great but the wooden floors throughout the hotel weren't picked to withstand intensive hotel use, they look dirty now. They're stained by years(?) of usage. The bathroom looked wonderfully designed with large sheets of white marble but the seams were brown / moldy. An uncovered air-vent was overgrown with mold and in plain sight. Also there was no hot water in the morning when we wanted to take a shower. The bed was clean and sheets were nice but the bed-lights didn't work (one was missing a bulb, the other didn't work).
Checkout trouble:
At checkout, there was no staff at the reception. After 5 minutes i went to the lunchroom downstairs of the hotel (same name also connected by internal stairs) to ask if i could check out. I was told i had to go to the reception in a -figure it out yourself- tone. When i responded i was there for 5 minutes without someone showing, the waitress responded she (the waitress) had just been upstairs and the reception was staffed. She repeated this several times in an very nasty tone of voice implying i was lying. She added 'i don't know how to do a checkout' hoping i would go away. After i got really angry, got told a had a big mouth, i went upstairs to leave the key and prepared to just leave ( they had my credit card details). Another waitress came in and very franticly made a phonecall to get the receptionist back. I got a quick apology and was asked for my credit card again (something wrong with their administration- really?). I told them i thought it would be a good idea to have some things repainted and fixed i was told they knew that should happen. A quick apology and a request for my signature for the payment please. I don't know what's going on here but this is a disgrace to the name of the street. Please restore the original idea, change the staff and as i'm not the first to complain here probably the management as well. A boutique hotel should be great at it's design. Service can be very basic as long as it's with heart.
General impression:
There's too much wrong to overlook even at a fairly reasonable price for the location and intended ambiance. we will not come back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ellusionnl
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel is located on a shopping high street about a 25 minute tram ride from the city centre.

While the hotel is attached to a coffee area the entrance passageway to the hotel was cramped, the carpet dirty, we were welcomed to an open fuse box, and there was an unpleasant smell in the air (which continued throughout our stay – really putrid!). The lift was extremely cramped an opened up to a strange reception area, which was dark with a desk plonked 2 paces away from the lift. At first I wasn’t sure whether I had arrived in reception or one of the floors!

The customer service was ok.

The corridor leading from the lift to the rooms was extremely pleasant - really fresh, light and clean, nice décor a large mirror and there was a trendy locking system for the doors.

We stayed in the attic room which was quaint; I really liked that you could push the windows right open and get a nice breeze. The bed was really comfy - a really nice level of comfort! The room was a mixture of modern design, with a cosy feel and the wood beams on the ceiling were really pleasant. On the negative side - the bathroom was in need of some minor repairs e.g. cracked tiles a smelly sink and a shower that was blasting hot!!! The lighting system was a bit too cleaver - in fact the lights could not actually switch off, they just went to a lighter shade!! This resulted in me wearing an eye mask as I was too tired to take it up with reception.

We could not get a connection to the internet from our room which was frustrating, as that was a feature of the package which I was keen to utilize.

When we checked out 2 of us got in the lift and the carriage dropped significantly I was so freaked out and spend the next two minutes panicking as to whether the lift would hold out!!! I had never been so glad to enter the reception.

On the plus side the receptionist asked me if I was ok, and was savvy enough to offer to take our luggage down in the lift personally so we could use the stairs which I was really grateful for!

The hotel ordered a taxi for us which came on time and cost 37 Euros.

It was an experience….