All reviews train station perfect location bowl of apples the main square glass door free apples bars and restaurants helpful with directions the hotel staff an easy walk spiral staircase free wifi charming city bavo church minute walk quality hotel parking garage
Reviewed July 29, 2016

I stayed at this hotel during July 16th - 23rd. I was on a business trip for a job for a large medical device company in a city near by. The hotel is well located in Haarlem downtown near restaurants, the main plaza and shopping area.
Unfortunately I have to report the bad experience I had with bed bugs in the room with bites in my arms, neck, legs, and abdomen; and the surprise when I reported the problem to the front desk that the individual in charge simply mentioned: "that he has read that there was a wave of bed bugs problem in Europe and that they needed to clean the room". When I replied "Is that all you have to say", the individual simply responded "what can we do".
They did not offer any assistance or said anything that gives you an indication that they care, or have training about customer service.

Later on at checkout I spoke with Masud and explained the problem to him again and asked him for the previous individual's name. He refused to provide me the name and excused him and the way he responded by indicating that he was part of the night shift.

I understand that things happen but you would not expect to encounter this type of problem in this category of hotel; but what makes my decision of not returning to this hotel is the lack of customer service and the impression I got from the staff and the hotel manager's later email attitude of "well it happens, what can we do".

I have informed the company to stop recommending this hotel and inform other colleagues of my experience so that they can be informed and make a better decision when selecting where to stay; and I felt that I need it to include this review to inform you, the public, as well.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
5  Thank Samuel L
Amrath Grand Ho... F, Assistent Hotel Manager at Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2016

Dear Samlainez,

First of all I would like to apologize for this incident. Bedbugs are a serious matter and we do not take this lightly. Directly after this incident was reported we called in a specialized company to take care of the matter. In addition we replaced the beds.

We value the opinion of our guests highly. Therefor the mentioned behavior of our Front Office staff is not acceptable and has been discussed with the colleagues involved.
We have send you an e-mail regarding this matter. Please contact us directly when we can be of any further assistance.

Warmest regards,

Sebas van Buuren
Assistent Hotel Manager Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals

Reviewed July 28, 2016

The location was perfect, your staff was kind and helpful, and even during World Cup matches, the hotel remained quiet and comfortable. After returning home we have recommended your hotel to friends and also recommended Haarlem as an excellent place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2016 via mobile

I stayed there with my sister for 2 days. We came by car so a little discount for the parking garage would have been appreciated. The checkout clerk in the hotel informed us that they had tried it but without success. I wish the managers of the parking garage would reconsider.

Everything else was perfect. The room was clean and quiet. We were able to open the window and outside the room was a water spender where we always could get some water to drink. And not to forget the Granny Smith apples

The refrigerator in the room was filled with drinks but we were also able to keep our drinks and yoghurt there.

The location was also perfect, in the middle of the beautiful Haarlem city and also close to other sites worth seeing. With the car we never had it far to new places and to the beach.

We chose to have breakfast outside for 2 reasons: the price and that it was only til 10am. But as we were downtown we went to a great café Anne & Max and had our breakfast there and it was delicious.

Will definitely recommend this hotel

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2016

Stayed here for three nights in Standard Rooms, which was comfortable and clean. The location of the hotel is excellent, The breakfast room is a little small for the number of guests. Otherwise everything fine.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to the Amsterdam area. The hotel was recommended to us by a family member and we couldn't have been happier. It is only a 15 minute train ride to Amsterdam Central station and it was so nice to go back to our quiet room after being in the busy city all day. The staff was very friendly and answered all of our dining and transportation questions. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2016