All reviewstrain stationperfect locationcentral staircasebowl of applesthe main squareglass doorbars and restaurantsfree appleshelpful with directionsthe hotel staffan easy walkfree wificharming cityminute walkbavo churchstreet noiseparking garage
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

We picked this hotel because of the location but could have picked it for any other reason: reasonably priced, friendly and professional staff, nothing is too much trouble and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Because we got married during our stay we got taken care of even better but I am sure if this would have not been our honeymoon we would enjoy it 5* too! No reason to go to any other hotel, this is where you should be. Thanks and we'll be back.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Amrath Grand Ho... F, Assistent Hotel Manager at Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

First of all I would like to congratulate you with your wedding. We aim to offer the best service possible. Therefor I'm delighted that we could add something to this special trip to make it even more memorable. On behalf of our entire team I would like to wish you a life full of love.

Reviewed August 12, 2016 via mobile

Very comfortable hotel, bedroom spacious and nicely decorated with added character as top floor room shaped to the roof, comfy bed but not sure about frosted glass bathroom door right next to the toilet......Plentiful supply of tea/coffee in room. Breakfast adequate but a little like a Holiday Inn Express with more variety. Perfect for city exploring! Try to get rooms furthest away from the square if at the front.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. We find it good to read that you enjoyed our location when exploring the city of Haarlem. We look forward welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed August 9, 2016 via mobile

I came apon this hotel as I was looking for a romantic getaway in the Netherlands. Amsterdam was no option, too busy and loud. But Haarlem is an equally old city but smaller and quieter. This hotel is in the city center eithon walking distance from shops, restaurants, theater and the train station. Perfect for a retreat.
Priced reasonably and friendly staff. The lounge and foodoptions were also adequate.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Amrath Grand Ho... F, Assistent Hotel Manager at Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2016

Dear Sylvia, we hope your visit to Haarlem was the romantic getaway you had hoped for. Good to read that you have enjoyed our location and that you experienced our service in such a positive manner. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2016

I stayed at this hotel during July 16th - 23rd. I was on a business trip for a job for a large medical device company in a city near by. The hotel is well located in Haarlem downtown near restaurants, the main plaza and shopping area.
Unfortunately I have to report the bad experience I had with bed bugs in the room with bites in my arms, neck, legs, and abdomen; and the surprise when I reported the problem to the front desk that the individual in charge simply mentioned: "that he has read that there was a wave of bed bugs problem in Europe and that they needed to clean the room". When I replied "Is that all you have to say", the individual simply responded "what can we do".
They did not offer any assistance or said anything that gives you an indication that they care, or have training about customer service.

Later on at checkout I spoke with Masud and explained the problem to him again and asked him for the previous individual's name. He refused to provide me the name and excused him and the way he responded by indicating that he was part of the night shift.

I understand that things happen but you would not expect to encounter this type of problem in this category of hotel; but what makes my decision of not returning to this hotel is the lack of customer service and the impression I got from the staff and the hotel manager's later email attitude of "well it happens, what can we do".

I have informed the company to stop recommending this hotel and inform other colleagues of my experience so that they can be informed and make a better decision when selecting where to stay; and I felt that I need it to include this review to inform you, the public, as well.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
5  Thank Samuel L

Dear Samlainez,

First of all I would like to apologize for this incident. Bedbugs are a serious matter and we do not take this lightly. Directly after this incident was reported we called in a specialized company to take care of the matter. In addition we replaced the beds.

We value the opinion of our guests highly. Therefor the mentioned behavior of our Front Office staff is not acceptable and has been discussed with the colleagues involved.
We have send you an e-mail regarding this matter. Please contact us directly when we can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed July 28, 2016

The location was perfect, your staff was kind and helpful, and even during World Cup matches, the hotel remained quiet and comfortable. After returning home we have recommended your hotel to friends and also recommended Haarlem as an excellent place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple