“Perfectly fine, but not more” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de Ark

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Delft
Hotel de Ark
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Delft
Washington, DC
“Perfectly fine, but not more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Lonely Planet describes this as a luxury boutique hotel. I think that may be more of a description of what this hotel would like to be, not what it actually is. Location is very good, but the hotel itself is not particularly special. What they've done is taken a couple of canal-side houses and cobbled them together in a somewhat strange way that doesn't quite work and filled the once beautiful rooms with IKEA-esque furniture and institutional carpeting.

Staff was nice and helpful and a breakfast had a wide variety of hot and cold choices.

All in all, our stay was perfectly fine, but not more.

Good location, helpful staff, decent staff.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natasha96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed for one night at this hotel, having visited it some years ago. Location was obviously still beautiful - it's not moved, so that was no surprise. Delft is such a picturesque town, and full of atmosphere, and the location of this hotel really couldn't be much better. Security is very good - almost too good. It's a bit off-putting to have to press a buzzer during the day to get access to the hotel.

Since visiting last, there is no longer a car park for residents, and you now have to either park in a multi-story car park at some distance, or park in the car park near the synagogue, which is close, but requires constant meter feeding. Shame about the loss of the parking facility!

Rooms were excellent, beautifully decorated, and the bathrooms fabulous and individually designed (we had two rooms, so could make good comparisons). Staff were very helpful in arranging an extra matrass since our boy/girl teenage twins didn't like sharing a double bed.

Sadly, breakfast was only mediocre, and with only one staff member replenishing food, it was a bit hit and miss as to what was available. My main criticism is to do with lack of atmosphere in the hotel itself, it's no more than a bed for the night, and no effort is made to make the reception area and nearby seating area for guests and open plan bar a comfortable and nice place to rest a while. No music, no talking, all a bit dull.

Finally - the cost of two hotel rooms is considerable and amounted to nearly €250 for one night for the two rooms combined. I was rather taken aback therefore, when at the very last minute (having paid online for the two rooms) we were asked to pay €1.50 before we could leave, because we had used the wifi in the hotel. Come on guys - by all means add the wifi to the cost of room hire - nobody will notice the difference between €250 and €251,50 if you pay online, and we would have been delighted thinking the wifi was 'free', but to ask for €1,50 payment makes you look petty and stingy. Left us feeling a bit annoyed and bemused as we were heading for the door. What a pity! :-(

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MissMieke
Enschede, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Good facilites, old Dutch atmosphere, but negligant and not properly trained staff:
1.) The receptionist refused to take action (call the manager by phone) when the WiFi broke down in the evening - creating difficulties in my work.
2.) Another receptionist sent false accusations to my client, who booked the room for me, to cover the mistake he made. That mistake could have been corrected with a simple e-mail to me or to my client.

It is a pity.

Zoltán Vekerdy

Room Tip: Many rooms have very poor view (they are good for a one-night sleep), only the ones facing to the ma...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

This is a review of the Ark Hotel's apartments, across the road from the main hotel.

We rented one of The Ark Hotel's apartments for a 5 day stay in Delft. When we booked, they couldn't send us photos for the apartments, so we went by the reviews and photos of the main hotel on this website. In short, it's not as good as the hotel but decent enough and good value for a town centre location. We stayed in one of the ground floor apartments, number 281.

What's good:
- Spacious apartment with living room/small kitchen and bedroom with en-suite bathroom.
- Kitchen and bathroom are clean and relatively new.
- You can go for breakfast in the main hotel; it's good.
- Staff are friendly and helpful, in particular compared with the bluntness of the Dutch.
- Very central location, 10mins walk from the railway station and right in the historic centre of Delft.

What could be better:
- The apartment is in desperate need of a refurbishment. It looks outdated and smells of varnish if you don't open the windows.
- The bedroom was quite dusty and there was a squashed insect on the wall.
- The bed consists of 2 single box-spring beds with 2 single duvets.
- The alarmclock went off at midnight during our first night.
- There is no WIFI (although you can use a computer in the hotel's lobby for €2.50 per 30mins, and probably WIFI too).

Room Tip: Don't forget the pancakes at breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

Hi

I would recommed this hotel anyday. The service was great and the staff nice. They are not very friendly but I guess, most people on business appreciate the distant from other folk (including staff).

My room (No1) was great. It was spacious and clean. The Bathroom was large and clean. Having heard about most european hotels I had presumed that all hotels rooms where super conveninet ..ie...super small. I was pleasently surprised with mine.

Breakfast was large, warm and tasted good as well.

I will definately be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Mons, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

I arrived to this hotel at the evening time and left my visa card as a booking confirmation. They blocked the whole amount immediately (and it is ok, it is always like this). Next morning I have paid by my debit card and left this place. After 3 days I found out thet they charged me 2 times - from my credit card and my debit. Nice stay - 240 euros per single room per one night. I can tell you I wrote them 4 or 5 emails, I called them 2 times and I am still waiting when they will unblock my money. My bank tells that it is simple international procedure for authorization cancellation for visa which takes not more then 2 hours. Then WHY IS IT TAKE 3 WEEKS FOR THIS HOTEL?! Therefore if you want to save your time and your money never go there!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank irinaapetukhova
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

The rooms are clean, spacious and the bathrooms are also clean and functional. The bed was nice and firm. There is a buffet breakfast including a cooked breakfast: pancakes, bacon, scrambled egg, sausages, baked beans and tomatoes - lovely, when most Continental hotels serve Continental breakfasts only. We dropped some chocolate on the white sheets one evening and the next day, they changed the sheets to fresh new ones. The staff are friendly and helpful. They take the time to help with enquiries and all speak English. The hotel has a family feel but is also run professionally and efficiently. We felt well-looked after.

For those of you sensitive to noise, take note. We had asked for a quiet room so were given one at first in the attic area with a small window which was dark and gloomy. We asked to change rooms and they moved us to a lovely bright room overlooking the canal - it was a bit noisier esp on the last couple of night during the jazz festival, and due to the cathedral bells. The first room would have been quieter but we preferred to stay in the room with a view and put up with the slight increase in the noise.

The location is otherwise perfect for enjoying Delft and also is an easy 10 min walk from the station.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple