“Great restaurant slightly off the beaten track”
Review of Bokaal Rotterdam

Bokaal Rotterdam
Ranked #79 of 1,288 Restaurants in Rotterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, Bar
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a traditional Dutch restaurant/bar when we found Bokaal. We visited on a Friday evening and it was already busy but there were tables available inside.

No English menu but all the staff spoke perfect English and were happy to take the time to 3xplain the menu.

We had fish and chips or French fries, burger and fries and the bed stew and fries.

All the dishes were excellent with one of my daughters saying it was the best she had.

Had a couple of large yellow canary beers which is brewed on premises (or locally) which was like an IPA.

Service was friendly an efficient.

We can recommend this restaurant and would visit again if ever in Rotterdam again.

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Bokaal is situated perfectly for the students and staff of EUC, so obviously we visit often. We were here for a birthday occasion and as usual we had some great drinks, but we stayed longer than expected and decided to eat there too. The spare ribs were amazing and the service was excellent. We were very happy to have chosen Bokaal for dinner in the sun!

Reviewed June 27, 2018

Bokaal is one of my favorite places in the city, especially on a good day. It's lovely to have a drink somewhere open but not extremely busy. Although it's situated almost in the center of the city it's relatively quiet (that doesn't mean you'll easily find a spot after 5pm, since it's very popular). Plus, it's one of the few stores that is open throughout the day and you can choose to have beer or coffee almost all day.
Delicious bar snacks (fries, nachos with guacamole, borrel snacks) that can accompany your drink. If you're hungrier try the stew on top of fries, for a more Dutch experience.
Absolutely recommended when you want to catch some sun but in a chill and cool place.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

This restaurant was recommended to me for its beer selection and I have to say the recommendation was spot-on. The restaurant has several rapidly changing beer taps from smaller craft breweries. Mostly from the Netherlands, I think, but when I visited there were one or two Belgian beers on offer too. There is also a very good selection of bottled beers but I didn't get to them!
The restaurant is fairly rustic in appearance with a large outside patio in a quiet traffic-free pedestrian shopping precinct. Its a lovely place to sit outside of a nice summer evening! I think it would suit everyone from romantic couples to large groups of friends. Dining or drinking or preferably both!
The staff were very friendly & eager to explain food or suggest beers. The food menu is not huge (a good thing, I tend to think) but it does have a good range of choices and everything I had was top-notch. See my picture. Beef n beer stew over chips (fries) with an amazing fresh & tasty green salad.
I will definitely go back when I'm next in Rotterdam.

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

I had lunch at Bokaal when on a visit to R’dam with my wife.
Excellent friendly service, large selection of beers, good location. Well recommended.