All reviews nice hotel the main hotel comfortable rooms recommend this hotel ironing board golfing break waterloo battlefield bars and restaurants easy access each evening bath shower mini fridge public areas paper work annual visit dining room is travel lodge
Reviewed November 17, 2017

I've been staying here for a decade on and off, and it's now a very tired hotel. I believe that some rooms have now been refurbished, but mine definitely hadn't.

My previous reviews from a few years ago said that a refurb was imminent, but time has past and it's not done (at least not for the whole hotel).

The bathroom looks like something your parents had in the 90s, plus a bit of mould, missing grouting, several bulbs not working, etc...

The room itself was large, but poorly laid out with very dated furniture. The TV stand was so big (clearly for an old-style TV) that you had to squeeze past it to get around the room. Between the room and the bathroom were strange roller-top cabinets that you'd find in a cheap bar. All the fixtures feel and look plasticy. Again, several bulbs not working, and a weird system of light switches.

There's also my annoyances such as the equipment in the room having power indicators so bright the illuminate the whole room etc...

I genuinely believe that whoever designs the rooms and picks the equipment must spend several nights in the room afterwards to make sure they've got it right!

I may be being a bit harsh, as I believe that the refurb is underway, but I can only review what I experienced.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly. I do hope my next review is more positive.

For EUR155 you can get much nicer hotels in central Brussels.

You may ask why I stay here - the truth is that there's not a lot of choice in the area!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Jean-Christophe A, General Manager at Martin's Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2017

Dear EonsOfZaphod,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us and with our future guests.
We like to get feedback. It's thanks to constructive remarks that we are able to improve our guest services!
We try to keep our hotel in good shape all the time. I am pleased to inform you that in fact we did refurbish 21 Charming Superior and 8 Great Superior rooms. Do not hesitate to book them for your next visit. They are modern and elegant rooms. Do not hesitate to to either book or ask to visit these rooms during your next stay in Waterloo.
Looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2017

I stayed here 2 or 3 times while passing through on business travel. Rooms are clean and the staff is professional. No issues booking online. No problems with late arrival and check in. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2017

we stayed here for 4 nights with 10 friends on a golfing break and we really recommend it - we had dinner there on the first night and the food and service were top class - the buffet breakfasts were OK without being brilliant ( the morning staff were not nearly as good as the evening staff ) and the bedrooms were fine although perhaps a little " tired " - the reception team were also top class and very helpful

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with a party of 20 golfers. It is a convenient location for several good golf courses and a 10 minute stroll into town, where there is an excellent selection of shops, bars and restaurants.

The welcome was warm and friendly and we were given a bar voucher for a welcome drink. The bedroom and bathroom were rather tired. The safe was broken, which meant we had the inconvenience of using a safe deposit box in reception. Two lights were broken, but promptly replaced the following day.

An extensive breakfast buffet was available - no complaints. The quality of the food at dinner was excellent, but the speed of service was abysmal, when you consider that we were all eating the same pre-selected meal at an agreed time. It took about 25mins for our starters to arrive after we had sat down! It did appear that other "non group" diners were treated to better service and attention.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, however, if I returned, I would prefer to take dinner elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2017

Large bedroom had its own fridge and a wet room with shower. very comfortable bed. Tea making facilities. Air Con. Wi fi seemed pretty good throughout the hotel. Good choice at breakfast. Good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends