“They did not tarnish there reputation when I visited the oyster bar AND the deli”

Noordzee Mer du Nord
Ranked #40 of 4,072 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed July 8, 2018

This restaurant has two shops, a primary shop/deli and an oyster bar. I arrived in the busy square that houses the restaurant on July 6, 2018. I found a line at the primary and moved to the oyster bar, this, on the day before the oyster bar closed for a two week vacation; sometimes you have to love your timing and luck. I promptly ordered a half-dozen oysters and a glass of house white wine. The oysters were what you would expect from a restaurant with the reputation this one has. In short, excellent. The wine, meh. The staff recommended I dust the oysters with ground pepper, something I had never even thought of. It was an excellent suggestion, though the oysters did not require this treatment. The line next door had disappeared after I finished my oysters so I moved next door to order croquettes made with grey shrimp. These were a little pricey, 13 euros for two, but this specialty of Brussels did not disappoint. There is no seating at the primary La Mer du Nord shop. They offer a counter for ordering food to eat and seafood for take away with a dozen or more high-top tables without seats in the square for eating your meal. I don’t much appreciate this practice, but the turnover it induces at this in-demand-restaurant is probably mandated by the crowds the restaurant attracts. Well-worth a meal or two.

What is bizarre is that I Yelp'd several nearby seafood restaurants on the Ste-Catherine square 100 meters away. None made 4 stars. They were handsomely adorned with white table clothes, crystal, silver, and other fineries scattered along a reflecting pool aside the church but lacked excellent ratings or even very good reviews for food. Are they a tourist trap? I did not stick around to find out.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,224)

Reviewed July 1, 2018

I stumbled upon this place by fluke. After seeing some of the dishes and how busy it was, I figured I must try it out!

The gentlemen working were super pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Even though it was extremely busy they still took the time to give you great service and did not just cut you off. They made all of their customers feel welcomed.

The food was terrific! This is the first meal I've had since I've landed in Europe that has been oozing with flavour. The dishes were all well seasoned and came with a good sauce to match. Fish was fresh as promised. I was very happy with my meal even though it was a bit expensive when converted to local currency. I paid close to 40 CAD for a small plate of calamari, seared tuna, and a glass of wine. Never the less it was good.

This is a standing style restaurant. There are no seats anywhere unless you find an available bench near by. It also does book up so you might end up having to eat somewhere along the street if you can't get a table. Another thing is that they did not have all of the umbrellas open despite the sun being out in full force. I ended up having to rush through my meal because I could no longer stand in the sun.

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

So, The family and I were in search of a local place to grab a bite and have a cold one while being in the midst of some action, aka people watching. At first glance, this place didn’t have the look and feel of what we were looking for (cocktail high top tables, no chairs, no clear signage of what they serve, etc). HOWEVER....
Noordzee rocked it! Service and staff were completely customer service oriented. The food was so good you would swear you were eating port-side near the water. We ordered just about everything we saw— and what was recommended, the the battle for the best came down between the clams and the cod cheeks...at the end the cos cheeks prevailed (think, Chilean sea bass or giant scallops). Just a short walk from Grand Place, this is a must!

Reviewed June 26, 2018

Eat outside in the square of St. Catherines, stand up tables only - so great for a quick bite. Much faster than sitting at a cafe. Something is always happening in St. Catherines. We didn't have but folks raved about the oysters. Good Fresh Seafood.

Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

Tasty «maatjes» whit a good cup of cava. Fresh fish and nice fish soupe.. the meal was cooked at place and you cant see that. Too visited