“Great location, good rooms, bit pricey”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels
Ranked #32 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridgeshire, UK
“Great location, good rooms, bit pricey”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Located just round the corner from the main city square so, arriving late, we dumped our bags and wandered the back streets of the centre (which are full of restaurants opening onto the pavement), to the grand place - a great place to sit outside and drink overpriced beer served by surly waiters. But what a location. The hotel itself is fine as business hotels go. The atrium and downstairs area is a bit 1980s USA style, and the bars etc in the lobby didn't look up to much, so we headed out. The rooms are super - very modern and quite chic. On the business floor there is a free drinks and coffee area on the landing and the 2 vital ingredients were there - free mineral water and free wifi in the bedrooms. Why more hotels don't have these basics I do not know. A pet hate is paying €$3-5 for a bottle of mineral water. Breakfast in the room was ok, but when you ask for coffee and no milk comes with it, is it me that is stupid not to ask, or the hotel that is dumb not to provide?

So overall, a big plus for a business hotel is location, the service is ok but nothing special, the lobby and public areas should probably be ignored (soulless), but the rooms are well above average.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CBG2007
RD_Royal_Brussels, General Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear CBG2007,

Thank-you for staying with us at the Radisson Blu Royal and for your honest comments.

I am happy to hear that all in all you enjoyed our hotel: its location, design and amenities.

I regret however that your experience did not reflect our “Yes, I can” service philosophy, the usual level of service we are known for. Rest assured that I addressed your comments to our team, and invite you to contact me directly for future travel so that I can personally ensure you experience our service as outstanding.

Gaston Gellens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I've been staying at a few hotels in Brussels (Hilton, Warwick & Co.) and all were quite stale. So when the agency booked me into Radisson BLU Royal, I thought "great, Radisson BLU should be fresh and with a sleek design". I was utterly disappointed when I entered the lobby. It seems that you are stepping straight into the 80's - greenish stone, yellowish carpet flooring etc. To be fair, check-in process was pretty fast and efficient. But then when I asked a bell boy to book a taxi for me for next morning (Brussels public transport workers were on strike for the 3rd day in a row), he refused stating that they do not do it between 8 and 10am even on normal days, so I could try my luck at the nearest taxi rank. What a service! My room was as uninspiring as the rest of the hotel - dark wood and stale smell. Next morning I decided to venture out early to have breakfast and to grab a taxi before the rush hour. When I arrived to the breakfast restaurant and paid hefty 30 Euros, I found out that there were no vacant tables available! None of the personnel could help about that, so I was lucky to get a table after about 5 min waiting. Next disappointment came when I tried to get some food - 2/3 of items were finished, including scrambled eggs and fruits - so I had to be satisfied with a hugely over-priced jar of yoghurt and a bottle of Activia. All in all, it's quite disappointing that the very renowned hotel chain gets the hotel into its management, re-brands it under a more premium banner, but fails to deliver miserably. Hand on heart, I found only 1 really nice hotel in Brussels so far - BLOOM, which is on top of this fairly priced and 15 min walk from La Grande Place

Dear MaxLondon 1976,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for your honest comments. It is only through direct feedback from our clients that we can detect what's to improve.

I am sorry to hear about your last stay with us and have shared your feedback with our teams.

I regret that you did not enjoy our décor and room style. Had we known this during stay it would have been a pleasure to propose you a style to suite your preference. Our Standard rooms are declined into 4 different deco, such as Maritime, Classic and At Home styles, and our new Business Rooms have already received very positive feedback.

Regarding breakfast, please note that our prices are well in line with similar hotels in Brussels, considering as well that it is an all-you-can-eat buffet with a large choice of fresh local products. We also participate at the Year of Food in Brussels and have a special Brusselicious Breakfast that offers a selection of typical local produce, showcasing Belgian gastronomy. You may have noticed that we have a chef in our open-kitchen. They are available throughout breakfast and happy to prepare anything you would like on the spot.

As we hope to have the opportunity to make your stay with us memorable, I invite you to address me your contacts details directly so I can ensure that your next stay with us satisfies you completely.

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 9 May 2012

during my business trip to belgium, I had to stay there ! what I liked the most was the fact that it's very well located, grand place is the next street, there's a supermaket 3 minutes walk and the hotel itself has 3 restaurants, of which a michelin star ( did not get the chance to try it ).
i did not like however the fact that the room service closes after 23.00 ( kitchen closes at that time so only vegetarian meals were prepared ) which is very bad for 5 stars hotel!

got upgraded to business room which offers unlimited tv access business lounge etc...

1 Thank Roméo H
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I always liked this hotel with its wonderful location. The new rooms are very comfortable and trendy. I must say though that the airco is making a lot of noice to little effect.

I am dissappointed that they reduce the assortment of food for their otherwise fantastic breakfast buffet in the weekends, but keep the same high price!!!

Room Tip: Try to get one of the outside rooms. There is very little air in the rooms facing the atrium.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at the Radisson for three nights over a weekend. The hotel is ideally located for local sight-seeing and is also walking distance to the local metro (De Broukere) and Central station. Our room was tastefully decorated and a good size with a large desk, flat-screen tv, wifi access (a little slow as is the norm in hotels although two PCs in the lobby had speeds of 95mbps) easy chair and big comfy bed.

As we had a Business Class room was also had access to the Business ‘Lounge’ (actually a small area on the landing) where we could help ourselves to cold water, coke, lemonade and yoghurts. If you got there early enough in the mornings there were also a few croissants on offer too.

Our room was nice and quiet despite being near the lifts and although it overlooked the street there was no sound whatsoever from outside. The only slight annoyance was that the aircon switched itself on and off during the night even though all the settings were pointing to off.

Breakfast is very busy as the hotel seems to accommodate large tour groups, although it was significantly quieter on the Monday morning. The layout could be a bit more spaced out as you do feel you have to push past people to get your morning goodies. There was a great selection of hot and cold items and a chef station to order eggs or omellette. I really enjoyed their Bircher muesli.

On the Saturday night we ate at the Atrium restaurant, a really lovely area where you can look onto the fish swimming in the indoor stream below. All our courses were fantastic and the service was great, attentive but not in your face. The asparagus with crushed egg starter was the winner for me and portion sizes were very generous. A really nice restaurant to treat yourself to when the Sea Grill is closed on the weekends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
RD_Royal_Brussels, General Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear MintTea,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is valuable to us.

I am pleased that all in all you enjoyed your stay with us but regret the slight annoyance with the air-conditioning in your room. Please feel free to contact our One Touch service for assistance at any time and our team will be more than happy to fix any situation one the spot.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again when you visit Brussels.

All the best,
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just come back from a 2 night stay at the Radisson. It's only a 2-3minute walk from nearest metro and main streets of Brussels. Very convenient for the Royal Gallery and great base to enjoy the city from.

We had 2 adjoining rooms for us and our children and the rooms were comfortable and well equipped as expected for large chain hotels. Free wifi within room and also get free access to the spa/leisure club with Club Carlson Card.

Overall the hotel is very well maintained with the main cafe reception area in the atrium being really nice.

Our main gripe is with the breakfast at the pebble cafe in the hotel. Breakfast was included in our room rate but for was €30 for others. Every day we found that plates and glasses ran out quickly. The location of the chef to cook eggs to order obstructs everyone else trying to get to bacon and other hot food on the hot pans. The breakfast buffet is generally far too busy and crowded. range of food on offer was good but I wouldn't eat here if I was on a room only basis.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Justin_Scotland,

Thank-you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us.

I do take very much into consideration your points and, hope that I will have the opportunity of greeting you and your family again, making your stay with us an outstanding one!

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I just tried booking a room at this hotel, but reservations could not guarantee a room with two double beds at AAA rates. I went with the Marriott -- they were able to insure bedding for my husband, my son and I.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank door60
RD_Royal_Brussels, General Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Door60,

Thanks you for your comment which is very helpful to us. I am sorry to hear that we could not welcome you and your family.

AAA rates are available for bedrooms with one double bed providing a King or, a Twin bed. An extra bed can also be provided in Standard rooms for triple occupancy. Double King bed rooms are available in Suites and this is unique in Brussels!

Please feel free to contact me in person, might we have the chance to welcome you and your family when staying next time in Brussels.