All reviews own bathroom walkable distance city centre clean rooms mattress
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Located in Central Brussels near all of the main attractions and was only a 5 minute walk to Central Station. That being said, we had a very dismal experience. Online it says that you can check-in from 7:00-13:00 and from 14:00-1:00 but this is definitely NOT true. Do not arrive before 14:00 because the entire hostel is shut between 10:00-14:00, meaning the front doors are locked and you are not allowed inside. Only encountered 1 decent staff member, all the others were very rude and seemed to not care at all. Room was dirty and the "clean" sheets that you are given were not very clean and at all and I did not even use the blanket that was supplied as it looked like it had never been washed. Shower was very dirty and the shower door had a crack right in the middle so the entire bathroom would be soaked after a shower. Our room faced the street and would be woken up early in the morning from street noise and from the garbage truck noise. Breakfast was included but I would rather go somewhere else and pay money for something that you would want to eat.

We had originally booked to stay for 3 nights but after the 2nd night we could no longer take it and left.

Honestly, if you want to enjoy your stay in Brussels, stay somewhere else especially since it is not even really that cheap to stay here.

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank missaelle
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Good location. Adequate breakfast - though don't ask for your bread to be toasted unless you're cute enough to tempt the otherwise helpful and friendly staff. The rooms are tired and depressing. Plastic covered floor and mattresses tell you too much about what people do in the rooms and how fed up the staff are with cleaning it up. It served its purpose but I don't think I'd stay there again.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Stayed at the Bruegel for 2 nights about end-October 2010, in a 4-bed female dorm.
If you are arriving in Brussels by Eurostar, I will recommend that you take a bus to get to the Hostel (stop: Chapelle, 2 minutes from Hostel) as walking may take some 30 minutes, with luggage and the fumbling over directions.
Website stated that Hostel is "closed" from 10 AM to 2 PM, which I misunderstood to mean it was shuttered during those hours and thus spent some Euros leaving my luggage at the train station while I toured the City. Truth is, you can still check in, save that you are not allowed into the rooms (cleaning underway) and luggage is to be left in the store. There is a lift.
Room was clean and spacious, and has an attached shower (though, considering one is likely to use the toilet more often than the shower, it will be more convenient to have an attached toilet instead). There were no lockers in the room, although the "pigeon holes" (shelves and racks, with hanger) were a nice touch and kept everyone's belongings organised.
The pub/disco at the basement of the Hostel lacked atmosphere and was deserted at 10.30 PM on a Thursday night. This should be of no concern if your aim is to just have a clean and safe place to sleep.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank StanSG
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We are still waiting to know what happened. We were in the elevator and this man came in to insult us, shouting and hit a friend, saying that we had woken up his son. We don't know yet how we "did" that. After that we ask for a reclamation paper and they said they didn't have reclamation book.
I have also to add that between 10h and 14h you MUST leave the hostel everyday, in order to "clean" it,.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank v0ila
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Why?
1) Very unfriendly staff
2) You must be back at 1:00 am (who knows Brussels can confirm that the night life in Brussels starts at this time)
3) you are not allowed to stay in the hostel between 10.00 and 2 pm ! (My friend who lost medicaments in the room and can to pick it at 10:20 am was treated like a prisoner!)
4) coming in the morning you are not allowed to leave your luggage there and check in is possible only after 2 pm (even if they say it differently on their web sites).

I can reccomend you many better tips in Brussels. I felt ashamed that 9 fried of mine decided for this place without consulting me.

Date of stay: October 2010