All reviews own bathroom walkable distance city centre clean rooms bunk mattress
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I've been to this hostel many times in the last 6 years. I really have no idea where the negative responses come from. You all do realise that it's an hostel, not a 4**** hotel? anyhow, I've always had a clean room, liked the staffmembers, and the good was always good.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Our group trip was just ridiculous, even though its not that easy to work with a group of 50+ people the hostel didnt really seem to make an effort. The booking of my room was messed up so instead of arranging it again I had to wait for 3 hours while I was mobbed in english, dutch and french by the receptionist. Overall the staff was anything but friendly or well mannered.
The hostel is closed in the night from 1 to 7, which might be in time with the Brussels metro but not with the schedule of youth groups. The night keys were barely distributed and people told not to let anybody else in, even if they are from the group. Yet, even with the strict rules two people from our group got stuff stolen from the rooms.
The hostel closes a second time midday from 10-14, kicking everyone out. People have been taken out of beds, the lobby chairs where turned up side down, the internet is turned off and all doors are locked, super weird attitude all together.
In those 4 hours the hostel is suposed to be cleaned but I have no clue what they clean. The showers mostly have no doors so the whole bathroom is flooded. This carries into the sleeping area. Same for public showers and toilets, all the luggage left on the rooms had soaked bottoms. If you came in dirty shoes in the beginning of the week you still saw the footprints on Friday.
Bar and breakfast were okay, everything else a mess, one of the worst youth hostels I have ever visited

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is the dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. Everything mentioned in previous reviews regarding poor service and lack of cleanliness is true. There is something very strange going on here. The place should be investigated.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank rellingham
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in January in a private dorm with key card access. We arrived at around 7am to the hostel after a very long overnight coach trip from London, couldn't check in until two but they conveniently have luggage storage facilities available. Bunk beds were basic but did the job. Being January it was very cold, the blankets on the bed didn't really keep you warm enough, there was no heating and a draught came through the window. I'm sure they would have supplied an extra blanket had we asked. Staff at reception were helpful and spoke fluent English to me, despite my attempt at French! The main issue we had was with the shower, there was no curtain so the water flooded the bathroom floor and as it was so cold it didn't really dry out during the day. There were no electrical sockets in the rooms which I would have expected, though there were some down the corridor outside, not really convenient for charging your phone though! Wifi in reception area. I can't comment on the breakfast or hostel bar. 15 minute walk to the Grand Place which was easy to get to.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We spent 8 nights at this hostel. We arrived at around 08:00 in the morning and were advised that we could not enter our room until after 2 pm. After reading reviews here I knew about the lock out between 10 am and 2 pm so had planned for it! We spent the morning hours (until 2 pm) sightseeing. Since my daughter was attending a seminar and we were busy during the day, we never had any problems at all with the close-out time. We ate breakfast daily at the hostel and had dinner on most days. Both were great, but we would have loved a wider selection of bread for breakfast. There was only one type of bread (even though they had a poster with different types of bread on the wall in the dining hall), which was served at all meals. The slices were also really thin and one had to eat many slices to have enough. Dinner was always good. We tried the lunch pack once, but didn't like it so we didn't buy that again.
I found the plastic covers of the mattress and the pillow really annoying. I ended up sweating a lot during the night and woke up all wet every day!
The door to the shower was broken, but I kind of expected that after reading the reviews here. I asked for a towel for the floor to make sure I could wipe up the floor after every shower.
Otherwise I found the staff friendly, but some a bit slow. They did their best in helping when we needed help.

Room tip: I would not book this hostel if you want peace and quiet. It is nice if you don't want to sleep in and it provides everyting you need.
Date of stay: July 2011