All reviews own bathroom walkable distance city centre clean rooms bunk mattress
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hostel requires you to leave your rooms between 10am and 2pm, which means you shouldn't expect to sleep in late on any day. Additionally, the breakfast (a toast and marmalade, bare but decent) is 7-9pm and ends in reality a couple minutes before as they run out of food.

The rooms have bunk beds with plastic mattresses plus a shower, which doesn't have a door that would close fully, resulting in the bathroom floor being wet after someone takes a shower. Some members of our group also complained about there being no hot water. Toilets are in the corridors, and they lack soap and towels for drying hands, which makes it either troublesome or nasty.

As it was a hot day, we needed to keep the windows open for the night. There is a street close by, which means traffic noise in the morning, and drunks returning from nearby bars in the night - plus the church bells ringing at 8am apparently every morning.

There is no common space for hanging out, if you don't count the couple broken chairs in the lobby.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I've been to this hostel many times in the last 6 years. I really have no idea where the negative responses come from. You all do realise that it's an hostel, not a 4**** hotel? anyhow, I've always had a clean room, liked the staffmembers, and the good was always good.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Our group trip was just ridiculous, even though its not that easy to work with a group of 50+ people the hostel didnt really seem to make an effort. The booking of my room was messed up so instead of arranging it again I had to wait for 3 hours while I was mobbed in english, dutch and french by the receptionist. Overall the staff was anything but friendly or well mannered.
The hostel is closed in the night from 1 to 7, which might be in time with the Brussels metro but not with the schedule of youth groups. The night keys were barely distributed and people told not to let anybody else in, even if they are from the group. Yet, even with the strict rules two people from our group got stuff stolen from the rooms.
The hostel closes a second time midday from 10-14, kicking everyone out. People have been taken out of beds, the lobby chairs where turned up side down, the internet is turned off and all doors are locked, super weird attitude all together.
In those 4 hours the hostel is suposed to be cleaned but I have no clue what they clean. The showers mostly have no doors so the whole bathroom is flooded. This carries into the sleeping area. Same for public showers and toilets, all the luggage left on the rooms had soaked bottoms. If you came in dirty shoes in the beginning of the week you still saw the footprints on Friday.
Bar and breakfast were okay, everything else a mess, one of the worst youth hostels I have ever visited

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is the dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. Everything mentioned in previous reviews regarding poor service and lack of cleanliness is true. There is something very strange going on here. The place should be investigated.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank rellingham
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in January in a private dorm with key card access. We arrived at around 7am to the hostel after a very long overnight coach trip from London, couldn't check in until two but they conveniently have luggage storage facilities available. Bunk beds were basic but did the job. Being January it was very cold, the blankets on the bed didn't really keep you warm enough, there was no heating and a draught came through the window. I'm sure they would have supplied an extra blanket had we asked. Staff at reception were helpful and spoke fluent English to me, despite my attempt at French! The main issue we had was with the shower, there was no curtain so the water flooded the bathroom floor and as it was so cold it didn't really dry out during the day. There were no electrical sockets in the rooms which I would have expected, though there were some down the corridor outside, not really convenient for charging your phone though! Wifi in reception area. I can't comment on the breakfast or hostel bar. 15 minute walk to the Grand Place which was easy to get to.

Date of stay: January 2011