“Simply average”

Le Calalou
Ranked #3,223 of 4,042 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian
Reviewed April 13, 2017

In our visit the staff was very nice to us and the service was good.
The price is high and quality of the food is just not what you expect.

Reviewed December 5, 2016

Just off the Grand Place 10 Euros for a meal and a glass of wine cannot be bad. You get what you pay for in this life. The service was good and it was warm place to be on a very cold day, service was good. Nothing to complain about.

Reviewed November 14, 2016 via mobile

I walked past this place during the day and thought it looked lovely with the fire and the art nouveau details so decided I would find it again for dinner. I was sorely disappointed. Even tho the reviews were average I decided to see for myself. The reviews are 100% correct. The service is terrible.. I waited over 30 minutes for a simple pasta and when it arrived it was cheap spaghetti that was undercooked and drying out. Not worth the money at all. I waited for the waiter to bring me my bill and watched him and the owner have a long chat while I waited. Awful awful music on a radio playing 80's rubbish. What a shame. Beautiful venue.. Wrong owners. Zero atmosphere. Don't bother.. Seriously.. Just don't. I am giving my pasta to someone hungrier than I am on my way back to the hostel and I almost think they won't want it either.

Reviewed November 12, 2016

We were cold and tired and looking for a quiet spot to get warm, eat lunch and rest a bit. This restaurant is along one of several streets in the area with nothing but restaurants and bars, most with someone standing outside trying to coax people in. Everyone should see the sign Tourist Trap written on each one. I asked the guy outside to confirm the details of the meal and the price listed on the menu board for 10 euros. He promised it was exactly as shown so we went inside.

The place was almost empty and the only couple were just leaving. They commented that they were happy with their meal, a really good sign.

As I was reading the TripAdvisor reviews, we were asked if wanted garlic bread. Hmmmm. Upsell #1. We declined but they were very gracious, not pushy at all so no points off for the effort. We decided on the 12 euro menu instead of 10 as it included a starter and a dessert for only 2 euros more.

We chose cheese croquettes and ham salad for apps and they were tired but passable. Remember, in french an entree is an appraiser and an entree is a plat, so to make it easy, I'll call it a main. For the main, we chose the chicken and the fish. I was told the fish was one piece of tilapia and one piece of something like a whitefish. Both pieces were tilapia and were soft and soggy. Edible but not memorable. The chicken was perfectly done and the frites (fries) were good. We did have a beer and I asked if I could sub the Stella for anything else at no charge and he did. Dessert was a decent sized pieces of cake with whipped cream and a caramel drizzle. Dry but edible.

Surprisingly the bill was 12 euros each including tax and service. WOW, we got what we were promised! The meal was great considering the price. We paid that much at a hamburger joint a few days earlier. Le Calalou was warm inside and the washrooms were decent. I paid with a CC and he asked if I could pay by cash, i said no and he accepted the card. I don't see that as a problem. Sometimes that 3% cost can make the difference between profit and loss. Note that 2 other pizza restaurants insisted on orders over 35 euros before they would accept CC, so I was happy there was no problem.

Yes, the inside waiter should be working somewhere not serving the public. He did speak English but was not friendly or conversational. I've had much worse but understand comments made elsewhere. Be nice to him and you'll be treated OK.
The outside guy was very friendly and made sure we were happy. If he had been inside, I would have given the place another star. I expect cheap labor in Brussels is not easy to find.

Keep in mind that whenever you are in a tourist area, you always need to ask exactly what the price is and what is included before you sit down. Then make sure anything you receive or ask for is included in the 'deal'. They always want to upsell you.

Overall, I would go to this place again - but not order fish. I had mussels a few days earlier elsewhere and they were not the best either even though Brussels is famous for them.

Reviewed October 27, 2016

Sucked in I'm sorry to say as is the norm for some European cities and the street, very encouraging outside but food less than average, but we did have a set price meal. Won't be back thats for sure.